Taking Sevastopol

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

LiquidSky

Taking Sevastopol

Post by LiquidSky »

July 4th....and Sevastopol falls in my PBEM game.

Thought I might share the secret of my success.

On the first turn, I railed every independent artillery piece (except one, I ran out of rail points) in front of Sevastopol....and moved the existing ones closer.
As well..I transfer every KG to the crimea...and the stuka's/fighters out to the main front. I also block the port with my small navy.

On the second turn, I bombard/bomb the front hexes around sevastopol. I used Manstein's card gamble in my game and it backfired, so I only attacked and took the north hex. I used the corp attack card there.

On the third turn, I take the middle and south hex, after intense bombardment.

Now the lack of supply should be beginning to tell....and the combats just get easier and easier. Sevastopol generated a miltia unit, but it still wasnt enough to stop me from taking it on the fourth turn. With the fall of the city, I move my fleet to Yalta, in case the Soviet navy is showing up.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
olivier34

RE: Taking Sevastopol

Post by olivier34 »

sounds nice; You take the city and most of the soviet forces there. Right ? In my PBem, I think that I won't be abble to stop the soviet fleet to evacuate most them.
The only problem that I see is that your independent arty and the KG must have miss in the other part of the front.
How did you isolated the city with your fleet ? I have put two itaian assets (a sub and some torpedo boats) in the two adjacent hexes of the port. Was it enough ?
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

sending axis ships on the first turn to interrupt sea supply is causing the russians big problems too. makes an assault on turn two or three a lot more effective. the russian navy will only arrive on turn three, thats two turns with low supply for Sevastopol! combine this with some port levelbombing and the russians will be very hungry by the time you attack.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I didnt miss the artillery on other fronts at all, as my partner is retreating as fast as he can. Similar with the air. I think he was sailing his fleet full speed for Sevastopol, but was a bit scared of all my air (15 KG bombers). If I had to, though, I would sacrifice my subs to buy myself one more turn, which would be enough to take the port itself.

Plus, I wonder what all my artillery could do to his navy if it strays within two hexes of them.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Isokron

Post by Isokron »

In my experience (from two games against Schmolywar) the soviet player will always evacuate most of the Sevastopol garrison on turn two and there is really nothing the german can do about it. I tried firing all my arty in the area on a soviet ship stack in one game and killed like 4-5 transports which doesnt really do much (although the arty had low ammo stock). With airstrikes one could probably do more but you would probably miss the lost aircrafts more than the soviet would miss his few lost ships and boarded troops. I dont think the german can stop the soviet cruisers for even one turn even if he moves in his whole fleet.

Since the troops start with full supply on turn 1 blocking the supply route on that turn wont really do that much either sadly.

Railing in more artillery seems like a waste as well as it will have low readiness and lack hq bonus (or have even lower readiness from hq switch) and you have enough artillery in the area to overstack on two hexes anyway.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Other things I am noticing...if your airforce does very little, it spends more time interdicting supplies. With the whole Luftwaffe down by the Crimea, I dont have to bomb the port nor blockade it with ships, it seems the supplies are sunk at sea by the aircraft.

In TrappenJagd, Sevastopol does not start with the Fortifications built. The Russians have to play the Fortification card (which seems not to be playable adjacent to other fortifications, nor in the city itself). But if the russians dont play it, Sevastopol falls very easily.

The turn after the (probably) failed attack by the Germans on the Fortification hex....the Russians should play their entrenchment card on the division to regain entrenchement level...but the lack of supplies will sooner or later cause a break. Especially if the Germans are sacrificing bodies to make them spend supply.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I did manage to sink about half the Russian navy, not so much with my air, but with the follow up attacks with the subs. I was brutal with my air, bombing and bombing the russian fleet when I could find it..however, it does take a toll on the Stuka's. They have just way too much transport capability to stop it all if they want to evac..but then, I want them to evac, to free up 11th army
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Historically, the reason for the German success in this area was gaining the advantage of the air with Richtoffen and of course Manstein in the South.
Bismarck2761

Post by Bismarck2761 »

>>Other things I am noticing...if your airforce does very little, it spends more time interdicting supplies.>>

Yes; the manual actually explains this! More readyness = more interdiction.
75Pak

Post by 75Pak »

I use artillery to shell the Russian port in the Kuban, the one directly across from the Crimea, that helps to hinder their efforts.

I also use air power to attack Sevastopol and their naval forces.

I use artillery to advance in the middle, slowly moving up, and I usually wind up bagging Sevastopol, and the Soviet forces there, around turn 4.

Return to “The War Room”