Please scale interface for higher resolutions - Feel I'm going blind

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jpinard

Please scale interface for higher resolutions - Feel I'm going blind

Post by jpinard »

I'm a new purchaser of the game who bought just before this current Matrix bundle sale. So I'm frustrated that I feel like I'm going blind trying to use the interface. My monitor supports 2560x1600 which I understand is unreaosnable. But I lowered it to 1920x1200 and increased sharpness to try and make it usable... but still the interface and text is way too small. I then dropped to a 1600 level resolution, but of course my monitor + NVidia cards do not support widescreen 1600 resolutions. So to my despair and needing the ability to SEE and try to read/understand the interface I'm running this game at a measly 1280x800.

The Dungeons of Dredmor developers showed you can add a single larger interface option for non-scaling res's if you put the effort into it. I do hope you will do the same because it is taking so much enjoymnment out of the game. I do like the game despite this major problem, but I can't play for long periods of time like I should.

Sincerely,
-jpinard
jpwrunyan

RE: Please scale interface for higher resolutions - Feel I'm going blind

Post by jpwrunyan »

You are not the first to comment on this. I am saddened that the font size hasnt yet been addressed despite the grumblings that have taken place over the past year. I understand that changing the font in menus could be a pain because then you would have to widen them or add space for word-wrapping, but just making the star labels bigger doesnt seem like it should be a problem. Nearby stars might overlap when you zoom out but that already happens even with the current small size.

Anyway, regardless of screen size, it would be nice to have a slider for controlling font size. This has the dual benefits of taking care of your issue and adding another slider to the game.
lart

Post by lart »

Has there every been an official reply on this? I really wonder why this isn't a bigger issue. Checking i.e. Steam HW statistics almost 30% run a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher, which makes this game IMHO unplayable.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

This issue has come up many times before and there was some official responses that this was not an easy issue to fix.

It was also strange how not everyone was having trouble. For example, I play at 1920x1080 and have absolutely no problem whatsoever reading any of the writing in the game! I used to play at 1280x1024 on my old screen and when I changed screen and resolution with it I can report that the size of the interface and writing etc did not change, all text is still the same size. The only difference is I can see more of the gameworld because the screen is bigger, interface etc is all still exactly the same size.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
lart

Post by lart »

It was also strange how not everyone was having trouble. For example, I play at 1920x1080 and have absolutely no problem whatsoever reading any of the writing in the game!
I gave it another shot, and scaled down from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 which adds an additional level of blur. I wanted to show you some screens as how unreadable the fonts are to me. Then I discovered that the screenshots I took are much sharper and crisp as the ingame ones, as if the in game fonts are somehow rendered/aliased differently which does not persists through the screenshots. Still I think that the in game fonts are way to small and not easily readable, especially the descriptions in the science tree. Granted that may be an issue coming with age and I realize it's not that easy to read text as in the former days.
To summerize, it feels like
- fonts are still to small
- ATI Radeon is messing something up with aliasing (default settings, latest drivers)
- Eyes are getting worse with age
I used to play at 1280x1024 on my old screen and when I changed screen and resolution with it I can report that the size of the interface and writing etc did not change, all text is still the same size. The only difference is I can see more of the gameworld because the screen is bigger, interface etc is all still exactly the same size.
Scaling down the resolution from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 actually increases the font size, as everything gets larger. Also increasing the font scaling in windows works. Both of this does not really work well or only to a certain level, as everything gets more and more blurry.
unclean

Post by unclean »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
It was also strange how not everyone was having trouble. For example, I play at 1920x1080 and have absolutely no problem whatsoever reading any of the writing in the game! I used to play at 1280x1024 on my old screen and when I changed screen and resolution with it I can report that the size of the interface and writing etc did not change, all text is still the same size. The only difference is I can see more of the gameworld because the screen is bigger, interface etc is all still exactly the same size.
Pixel density and eye sight make a huge difference, I'm sure.

edit:
ORIGINAL: lart
I gave it another shot, and scaled down from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 which adds an additional level of blur. I wanted to show you some screens as how unreadable the fonts are to me. Then I discovered that the screenshots I took are much sharper and crisp as the ingame ones, as if the in game fonts are somehow rendered/aliased differently which does not persists through the screenshots.
Sounds like monitor scaling. Either way it's still a choice between two different flavors of unreadable unfortunately.
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

jpinard,

Did you hit the auto resolution button on your monitor? I had that problem once with my LG monitor.

Sorry you are having problems. At my age, going on 50 it has forced me to reduce the resolution to read the messages. I can easily play the game at the lower resolution and it takes nothing away from the experience.

btw: I am running 1280 x 960. Sad but the eyes are getting older.[;)]

“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Link to the old thread: tm.asp?m=2970522&mpage=1&key=font

Give it a read through, there are several suggestions regarding windows font settings, graphics card settings, an external program that zooms fonts etc. Hopefully you can find something that helps there.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

This issue has come up many times before and there was some official responses that this was not an easy issue to fix.

There is a drastic difference in font and interface sizes when you go to higher screen resolutions, so I'm confused at what you're trying to say. I have a massive Dell 30" u3011 specifically so I could run at or above 1920x1200 res and not have to use a magnifying glass. If nayone should be able to see text properly at higher resolutions it should be a monitor that is this gigantic (and only 16" from my face).

Pipewrench - I've used all modes via my monitor and Nvidia card: Scaled, 1:1, Aspect, Fill. The problem with running such a low resolution for myself is having so little on the screen at once and when the resolution goes up the little icon buttons are so messy it's really hard to make out what's what.

If the guys who made Distant Worlds would load up Dungeons of Dredmor and see how Gaslamp games made a simple scaling feature to double (or triplew) the size of the interface that would fix a lot. For those of your wondering, when you're in a game of Dungeons of Dredmor, click the little icon to the upper right of your picture. Both DoD and Distant Worlds are 2D only so you can see how this is very applicable.

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Have you tried running on two different screens or only on two different resolutions? Running at native resolution the only thing that changed was the amount of "space" or the map you can see. The writing/interface buttons and everything is all the same size as far as I can tell. Hard to explain wihtout screenshots but I don't think I have any with writing from my old resolution, I wasn't thinking I would ever need them to demonstrate the difference [:(]
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Woodman - I don't want to get in an argument, but when ANYONE runs 1280x800 then switches to 2560x1600 (or any higher resolution) the text and all interface elements become tiny. That is the way screen resolutions work. Most people don't have 2 monitors so it's not like we can just use a different one because Distant Worlds isn't readbale on the first monitor. But it could be you're saying something entirely different?
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Hey jpinard, I'm not trying to argue either.

The same happens on other games, too. There are many strategy games that look the same but let you see more when you increase resolution, instead of letting you see the same but bigger, as long as you are running at the native resloution. Run at anything under native resolution and you will of course increase the size of everything on the screen because it will use more pixels to display the same thing. I know this is hard to understand, I can barely understand it myself when I read this back, someone better at explaining these things should really type it not me.

A good example is the galactic history screens in Distant Worlds. On my 1280x1024 monitor it filled the screen. On my 1920x1080 monitor it has black borders, the actual writing is the same size still.

Another example, Baldurs Gate. When running at 1920x1080 (not officially supported) everything: all text, characters, enemies, cursors, pictures are exactly the same size as if you ran 1024x768 on a screen with a native resolution of 1024x768, you just get more of it on the screen. Same happens in Distant Worlds, I don't know how else to explain it [:(]

Edit: By the way, I'm not against Codeforce/Matrix introducing something to make the text larger, I'm all for it! Please don't get me wrong!

Just saying those with bigger screens are not in-fact reading smaller text than people with smaller screens. At least I noticed no change between my two screens anyway, except that I can see *more* on the bigger screen.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I am glad people still feel strongly about this. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Yeah yeah, non-post, I know...
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Woodman - I physically measured the text on my screen. Each letter is much smaller at higher resolutions and I'm sure it's the same for everyone else. If you're going from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080 the text will not scale properly because you're using a totally different screen ratio (which is maybe why it appears the text is the same size for you).

1920x1080 = 1.78
1280x1024 = 1.25

That is like comparing apples to grapes. You need to use 1280 x 720 for a direct comparison vs. 1920x1080
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Nevermind you still don't understand what I'm saying. You can not test this by changing resolution, only by changing screen. If you change the resolution to anything other than the native resolution, of course the letters will get bigger. If you use the native resolution, things are the same, the interface is exactly the same only more space between the individual elements of it.

Please understand I'm not trying to be rude! Hehe, I'm just trying to explain it is all to do with the Native resolution. Anything less and you will get bigger writing. Using Native resolution the text appears the same, there is just a bigger gap between the text boxes. Note: I've only tried this on two screens, maybe I'm just going mad, anyway, doesn't matter [&:]

Edit: Let me clarify why I'm arguing the point! If text is increased and it is based on resolution, if what I'm saying is true it won't help lower resolution people. Thats all [:)]
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Hey you should feel for me, I'm on a 23" with 2048x1152... the fonts are REALLY small for me!

And yes DW tires my eyes as a result. :(
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

lol, is that a CRT screen?
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Hey you should feel for me, I'm on a 23" with 2048x1152... the fonts are REALLY small for me!

And yes DW tires my eyes as a result. :(
If nothing else, you win the prize for the weirdest combined aspect ratio, screen size, and resolution that I've ever heard of!
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

I have a triple display of 23" high dpi Samsung monitors a whole 6,144 pixels wide.

They no longer make them because they cost too much to build. Shame.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

lol, is that a CRT screen?

God no!

TFT of course.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”