A Lemon rises in the East: SqzMyLemon (J) vs. JocMeister (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SqzMyLemon

A Lemon rises in the East: SqzMyLemon (J) vs. JocMeister (A)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

JocMeister and I are about to lock horns in a PBEM supplemented by dual AAR's. We will be playing a DaBabesLite-B mod with extended map and stacking limits. I contemplated playing a DaBigBabes mod, but ran screaming from it like a little girl. I will post settings and primary HR's once I've succesfully downloaded and installed everything. I seem to be having an issue with the extended map files, so once that is addressed I'll begin planning the non-historic first turn, my first attempt to do so.

I'm looking forward to another game and the chance to improve my play. Above all, I'm looking forward to a fun game against Jocke and the social interaction with forum members by undertaking another AAR. I hope you all enjoy following along.

Lemon-san
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
moore4807

RE: A Lemon rises in the East: SqzMyLemon (J) vs. JocMeister (A)

Post by moore4807 »

Best of luck and I'll be lurking as I'm going to read both sides. Do you have any early stage thoughts or plans?
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Which one to follow more closely?? I've corresponded with both players, so I need to decide.
[center]Image[/center]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Ok, everything is installed properly. Jocke and I have confirmed our settings and initial HR's so it's time to get started on my non-historic first turn.

Settings and Preferences:

FOW - On
Advanced Weather - On
Allied Damage Control - On
PDU - On [8D]
Historical First Turn - Off
December 7th Surprise - On
Reliable U.S. Torps - Off
Realistic R&D - On
No Unit Withdrawals - Off
Variable (+/- 15 days) Reinforcements
Auto Subs - Off
Auto Upgrades and Replacements - Off

First Turn House Rules:

Allies can give orders to existing TF's on turn 1. No new TF's can be created.
No first turn restrictions in China.
Limited to one Japanese CV port strike on turn 1.
Allied air and ground unit orders can't be altered to simulate Dec. 7th surprise.
No hunting of Allied CV's during the first turn.

General House Rules:

Port attack minimum altitude is 10k. (I have to clarify this with Jocke to include 2E's or not)
No Allied 4E naval bombing below 10k (Navy 4E's excluded).
No night bombing at < 50% moonlight.
Full PP's to change restricted units to an unrestricted command before crossing national boundaries.
No strategic bombing in China for the entire war.
No Allied air or naval units allowed in Russia, even if activated.
No invasions or paradrops on non-base hexes and no fragment invasions or drops.
Thai units may freely enter Burma and Malaya, but require PP's to enter India or China.
Maximum aircraft altitude is 30k. (This will be revised as we progress through the war).

So there it is and nothing really Earth shattering. I think Jocke and I will have no problem ironing out any issues we may come across. I've invited Jocke to say hello before we get started, so until then, I'll hold off from posting any initial thoughts about the game plan and overall strategy, other than to say I actually have one for this PBEM.

moore4807: Welcome, and I'll answer your question shortly. There is much I plan on doing differently this time around.

Michael: Feel free to post anything anytime. I'm going to ask for much less advice this time around though. I think I have a much better grasp of playing Japan now, so I'm going to concentrate on applying the lessons learned from last game. It's time to put on the big boy pants. [:D]

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Hello everyone!

I hope this game will be entertaining to follow! I will certainly try to make it so! [;)] I followed Josephs earlier AAR and its a shame I won´t be able to follow this one! One of the most well made AARs on this forum!
So, best of luck to you Joseph! [:)]

Cheers,
Jocke
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

BANZAI!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I will ask the question that needs to be answered now.

What will the Japanese Empire look like on 1 Jan '43??

Everything else will be answered after this question.
[center]Image[/center]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jocke is too kind, but I do hope to make the AAR interesting and fun to follow. So Jocke, if you are still visiting, I wish you an enjoyable game experience and good luck. It's now time to retire to our respective corners.

fcharton

Post by fcharton »

½ñ•Š¤ÏÄûÃÊÏÈÉú
(second AAR, you're sensei material now, Joseph)
&#20170;&#26217;&#12399;&#26592;&#27308;&#20808;&#29983;

This is very good news, I was slightly afraid that you might defect to the wrong side...

I will be following this one. 10k years and all that!

Francois
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Ugh, what a bear the first turn is. I have to admit I like having control over my initial TF's allowed by a non-historic Dec. 7th despite the extra work. I've already changed the composition of many TF's and altered their destinations. Others I plan on completely reorganizing and have ordered them to unload and disband in preparation for new operations. I'll lose a few days, but I'd rather follow my own plan and organize things in my own way.

To date, I've completed all my LBA preparations, set orders for all my warp TF's and the opening moves are set for Burma, China, Malaya and the Philippines. Next will be production and R&D changes followed by the massive task of assigning my merchant navy to new ports of call and setting up the resource TF's. I also need to decide on ship production and accelerations. I figure I'm 50% finished setting up the first turn.

I most likely won't get a chance to do a detailed update on planned strategy and tactics until I'm back from my trip to Vancouver, which will be August 20th. In the meantime, here are my initial thoughts on a few theatres and how I'll be prosecuting the war overall.

Australia:

Northern Australia will definitely be invaded to deny bases for a strategic bombing campaign against the DEI until well into 1943. I am contemplating an operation against Perth to further hinder and delay logistical support arriving in Australia from Cape Town. This will be contingent on how quickly Malaya and Java fall and whether I'm successful in India. Perth will be the first objective scratched if it proves to be beyond my resources for such an undertaking.

Burma:

An early aggressive push to establish air superiority deep into Burma. Burma will be a springboard for an attack into China. I want to completely seal off China from receiving any support from India via Burma, and prevent any Chinese units withdrawing there. With that in mind, I further plan on denying Ledo as a logistics base to supply China from, either from bombing or direct capture. I will occupy and defend as far forward in Burma as possible. I will not allow an early Allied buildup here.

India:

Being essentially Scenario 1, I won't have the troops to accomplish everything I'd like to this game. A partial invasion of India is planned, followed by a quick redeployment for further offensive operations against Australia. I'm going to bluff an attempt to conquer India outright, and concentrate on denying the Allies Ceylon and Calcutta until my defences are in place in Sumatra, Malaya and Burma.

China:

I will attempt to knock China out of the war. Japanese army air units will be used to destroy supply and cause massive disruption to Chinese ground forces. We have a no bombing of industry in China house rule, but supply hits will contribute to the overall degradation of the Chinese war effort. Initial PP expenditure will focus on providing garrison units to free up combat formations from rear bases for offensive operations. Three important early objectives I've set for China are the capture of Paoshan and the oil producing bases of Sian and Lanchow. Paoshan will prevent a withdrawal to India via Burma while the loss of Lanchow and Sian will starve Chinese industry in Central China. I'll be investing every Chinese base as quickly as possible to prevent production and draw Chinese troops into their defence. Once in the bases, they won't be adequately supplied and I will use maneuver to threaten Chungking and Chengtu directly. I will deliberately avoid destroying Chinese units (not squads) this time in an effort to strain the supply situation to the breaking point. If I'm able to capture Chungking and Chengtu, then I'll destroy every Chinese unit I can. Stacking limits will force a change in tactics to defeat China, but supply remains the key. Cut the supply and China dies.

Malaya:

I want Singapore knocked out as soon as possible. Number one priority in the Pacific.

The Philippines:

Capture of Manilla imperative to cut supply production, then siege and starve out Luzon. I have no intention of commiting large forces to reducing Luzon in a hurry. Mindanao is another story, I want this area taken quickly to provide the logistical springboard for a quick capture of the Celebes and Borneo. I'd like to threaten Timor/Darwin as soon as possible.

Aleutians:

A token presence will be established to delay an Allied build up here.

New Guinea and the Solomons:

Strong defensive positions will be established to make this theatre a meat grinder for the Allies.

Southeast Pacific:

I will attempt to establish some forward outposts to provide intel on Allied movements and facilitate raiding of various LOC's to slow the Allied buildup. I do not know yet if I will attempt to capture Santa Cruz, Fiji and New Caledonia. I most likely will not as that will require a large investment of fuel and supply, which I sorely lack in Scenario 1.

Submarine Ops:

An effort will be made to cause the Allies extreme losses from submarine attack. The performance of my submarines last effort were dismal. I plan on changing that this time around. Submarine and ASW operations are one of my favourite things about this game. I plan on documenting every enemy sinking and keeping individual submarine kills and tonnage tally's updated regularly. I plan on following the career of SS I-26 especially, for no other reason than I've just grown to like this submarine.

Naval Ops:

Key word here is aggressive. I plan on using my combat ships far more than in the past. Last game I was far too conservative and I intend on changing that. I will be aggressively seeking combat in 1942 to inflict as much damage to Allied naval forces as possible. I will be raiding LOC's and trying to set up favourable matchups whenever possible. I especially will be seeking out Allied CV's in order to sink them and reduce the strain of defending in 1943.

A quick note on KB. Five carriers will hit Pearl Harbor. CV Kaga will join CV Ryujo at Babeldoab to provide more firepower in cleaning up the exodus from the Philippines quickly and deal with any Allied surface forces prior to the possible commitment of Allied CV's in the DEI. I don't like mini-KB on her own and think the addition of a fleet CV will increase the effectiveness substantially and might catch Jocke offguard.

Summary:

By no means exhaustive, but I hope this gives people an early idea of how I'm going to approach this game. I'm going to attempt better force allocation to meet specific goals rather than simply bring the hammer like last time. I'll actively seek out and engage enemy forces. Air power will be key and with PDU on, I hope to have the flexibility I lacked last game to achieve my goal of contesting Allied air power much more effectively. I have a plan for offence and an idea of when to transition things to the defence with a much better understanding of what needs to be defended, when and how.

So, lets see how things develop and if I've learned anything about playing early war Japan. I'm anticipating a much better performance on my end barring any unforseen setbacks which derail my war effort prematurely.

On a personal note, I just hope to enjoy this game and avoid getting frustrated as I did on occasion previously. Being more familiar with how the game works, I'm certainly better prepared to deal with setbacks, game mechanics irregularities or the play style of my opponent. There really are no excuses this time around and I have more experience under my belt. That experience gained complements the 20lbs of fat I seem to have also accumulated as a result of playing this game, which has contributed to a total lack of swimming on a regular basis. [:D]

So, another day or two to finish things up and get the turn off to Jocke before I leave on my trip. Then it's time to get it on, cause let's face it, Japan and the U.S. just don't get along.

SqzMyLemon

The first turn is away!

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I reached my saturation point for setting up the first turn and I just want the game to start already. Anybody who has played Japan knows exactly what I mean. I think I covered most things, but I'll obviously be making adjustments over the first few weeks. Still some aircraft R&D to figure out, but I got a nice start and adjusted production of a few airframes as well.

As mentioned earlier, five CV's will hit Pearl Harbor while CV Kaga steams to Babeldoab. There will be a port attack against Manila by Betty's from Formosa to take out as many submarines as possible. Many initial amphibious TF's have been re-routed or ordered to unload completely to be reorganized. My initial areas of concentration are China, Malaya and Mindanao. Early landings will hit Ternate and Manado. There will be no landings on Luzon yet. I want to gage Jocke's reaction to initial moves and determine how aggressive he may be at start.

If obvert is following along, there will be no operation "SqzMyWenchow" as it just seems wrong now. [:-]

If Jocke is able to get the turn finished prior to Tuesday the 14th, I'll be able post the opening results before I leave for Vancouver. If not, I will post the update when I get back home, around the 21st of August.

I'm really looking forward to the game. [8D]

TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum

RE: The first turn is away!

Post by TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum »

I hope none of those TFs you disbanded were the ones with the first turn move bonus. You can do a lot with those. It's also possible to consolidate many of the non-move bonus TF ships over to the TFs that have the bonus, or to empty out a bonus TF and then add new xAKs and xAPs to it and set it to load only troops and have it reinforce an area you're already landing at.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Good Luck and Banzai my friend. I will be following this AAR with great interest. I finally took Pax's advice and starting reading more AAR's. Although I should have tons of advice to speak of, I don't but will be adding my .02 from time to time.
First advice and I am surprised Michael didn't say anything is TURN OFF ADVANCED WEATHER EFFECTS. This is a defect in the game and will kill your air operations. It gives you bad weather almost all the time.
Limited to one Japanese CV port strike on turn 1.= I would like to clarify this rule I see popping up, does this mean your MB's cannot attack Manilla on the first turn?
Strategic bombing HR in China only? I agree just confirming. Some use inside and outside China.
Another question, concerning Para drops. I believe this rule needs to be modified and I would be interested in what others say about it. I do agree that fragmented groups should not be used in an attack (combined with other forces), however, I do believe they should be able to be used
as recon units from time to time as the game does not have any means for this. Japanese intel is bad enough.
My .02 advice.... Possibly do not even startup your R+D for the first few weeks until you get your engine factories in shape.
Hope you post often and again, Good Luck.
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

TURN OFF ADVANCED WEATHER EFFECTS. This is a defect in the game and will kill your air operations. It gives you bad weather almost all the time.
My understanding is that this cannot be changed mid-game in a PBEM .... I may be wrong on this though, hopefully someone else can confirm.
Pax
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: TheLoneGunman

I hope none of those TFs you disbanded were the ones with the first turn move bonus. You can do a lot with those. It's also possible to consolidate many of the non-move bonus TF ships over to the TFs that have the bonus, or to empty out a bonus TF and then add new xAKs and xAPs to it and set it to load only troops and have it reinforce an area you're already landing at.

A few were, but mainly the very small ones that were targeting bases I don't need captured at this time. I'm pretty anal about TF ship composition and where I want certain units. I certainly understand the need for speed, but in this case I'm ok with some delay or losing the bonus outright in some situations. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the Empire. [:D]

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Can you summarize what you thought went wrong with subs in your last game and how you plan to operate them differently?
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Thanks for posting Hanzberger and nice to see you here.
ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

First advice and I am surprised Michael didn't say anything is TURN OFF ADVANCED WEATHER EFFECTS. This is a defect in the game and will kill your air operations. It gives you bad weather almost all the time.

This one is on me as Jocke specifically asked about having the game set to Advanced Weather OFF, but I had said the weather has seemed varied enough in both my previous games to not be an issue with me. Jocke was fine with that explanation so we stuck with it on. We'll see if we both live to regret this decision as the game progresses.
Limited to one Japanese CV port strike on turn 1.= I would like to clarify this rule I see popping up, does this mean your MB's cannot attack Manilla on the first turn?

My intrepretation is that many people think it's an unfair advatange to be able to target both Manila and Pearl Harbor simultaneously. I'm ok with this house rule. I also wouldn't want to divide KB this early into two smaller less effective forces.
Strategic bombing HR in China only? I agree just confirming. Some use inside and outside China.

This was Jocke's suggestion. I'm all for targeting industry at any time, but understand the need to help China out. I certainly plan on expanding Chinese industry like I did last game though and now I can increase some I wouldn't have before. This may turn out to be a good deal for Japan.
Another question, concerning Para drops. I believe this rule needs to be modified and I would be interested in what others say about it. I do agree that fragmented groups should not be used in an attack (combined with other forces), however, I do believe they should be able to be used
as recon units from time to time as the game does not have any means for this. Japanese intel is bad enough.

I think it comes down to personal preference. I'm pretty flexible and wouldn't mind either way. Paratroops do seem to have their share of controversy though. I limit myself to using them for one target at a time and won't use them for another operation until they've completely reformed into one unit, but that's just me.
My .02 advice.... Possibly do not even startup your R+D for the first few weeks until you get your engine factories in shape.

I won't sweat it too much. I have a clearer understanding of what I'm doing this time, so a few days won't matter to me in the long run.
Hope you post often and again, Good Luck.

That won't be a problem as I tend to talk way too much as it is! [:D] Glad to see you following along and I hope you will enjoy watching the game unfold. Feel free to post anytime about anything.

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Can you summarize what you thought went wrong with subs in your last game and how you plan to operate them differently?

Hi Cribtop,

Glad to see you posting here.

Last game I think my subs suffered from a number of problems, some of which I felt were beyond my control. They were easily suppressed despite regular adjustments to patrol zones to lower DL. They also couldn't hit anything when they did encounter an enemy TF, bad luck plain and simple. I also couldn't find my opponent's routes, my fault there, but I think he was using the map edges and the Eastern USA to Cape Town route exclusively early in the war.

What do I plan to do to improve? Use the Glen equipped subs to spot the routes more effectively. Provide forward bases to give me longer reach. Set up better patrol zones and picket lines so I can redirect more boats to intercept located enemy TF's. Assign high naval skill and aggressive Captains so they will press home an attack. Stay out of Allied air ASW range to avoid increasing my DL. Having played the Allies now I think I have a better idea of where to go looking for the enemy, we'll see if that pays off this time around.

SqzMyLemon

So it begins...Air Attack Pearl Harbor...Banzai!

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Japan stumbles right from the start with an underwhelming Dec. 7th. No ships confirmed sunk at Pearl Harbor and more importantly, not one CA, CL, DD or SS hit. Results against Allied LBA were not much better, as not a single 4E bomber was destroyed on the ground.

The port strike by Betty's against Manila damaged 11 enemy submarines, but sunk none outright. Some took 800kg bomb hits though, so hopefully a few will succumb to damage.

Elsewhere, a lot of LBA bombers did not fly. Most targets in China and Malaya were left untouched, only a port and airbase attack occurred at Georgetown.

The biggest disappointment and one that will have an immediate tactical impact is CV Kaga. She did not reach Babeldoab, in fact she travelled no farther than 6 hexes from her start point. I obviously did something wrong with this TF, as every other (*) TF reached it's intended destination. This means I have a fleet CV out of position for the critical first week of the war. My intended hammer in the Celebes is now missing and I fear much of the Allied shipping will escape destruction fleeing the Philippines. Many of my early invasion TF's heading towards the Celebes are now at risk, as they were relying on CV Kaga to clear the way.

KB is now in serious danger of an Allied SCTF counterattack from Pearl Harbor. I traditionally don't stay for a second day of bombing PH, and these results make it impossible to even consider staying for a second day. I don't recall what CV's use torpedo equipped Kate's during the attack, but only those from CV Akagi were deployed. The remaining CV's still have full torpedo sorties remaining. A big disappointment at Pearl Harbor.

Here are the after action reports for Pearl Harbor, Manila and Georgetown:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 07, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 110 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 41 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 117
D3A1 Val x 101

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 2 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 10 damaged
D3A1 Val: 3 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
B-18A Bolo: 38 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 3 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 116 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 5 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 20 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 43 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 3 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 8 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 25 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 12 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 2 damaged
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 22 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 2 destroyed on ground
C-33: 2 damaged
C-33: 1 destroyed on ground
R3D-2: 2 damaged
O-47A: 9 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 4, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 4, on fire
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 2, on fire
DM Ramsay, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires
AM Turkey, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AV Curtiss, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 6
Airbase hits 30
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 67
Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
City Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
26 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet
3 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
18 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
7 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
9 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
City Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
Port Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
9 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
10 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Georgetown , at 49,74

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 72
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 22
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 29

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IF x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed on ground
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
xAKL Raub, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Wing Sang, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires
xAKL Nam Yong, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Demosthenes, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAP Hong Siang, Bomb hits 5, on fire
xAP Kelantan, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
HDML Pahalwan, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk (The only confirmed Allied ship sunk on Dec. 7th) [:D]

Airbase hits 26
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 62
Port hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
36 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 116 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 40 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 81

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
SS S-37, Bomb hits 4, heavy damage
TK Hai Kwang, Bomb hits 1
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AS Otus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Cape Fairweather, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1
SS Pike, Bomb hits 1
SS Sturgeon, Bomb hits 2
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1
ARD YFD-1 Dewey, Bomb hits 1
SS Porpoise, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Sailfish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Port hits 4
Port supply hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

I believe Jocke will be extremely happy with the results today. The submarines hit at Manila will probably hurt the most, but will be more than offset by a very poor Pearl Harbor attack. CV Kaga not reaching Babeldoab will have an immediate impact on my operations and the Allies will remain blissfully unaware of the danger she might have posed. [:(]

Regardless of the days events and outcomes, we are off and running. Banzai!

ny59giants

RE: So it begins...Air Attack Pearl Harbor...Banzai!

Post by ny59giants »

The biggest disappointment and one that will have an immediate tactical impact is CV Kaga. She did not reach Babeldoab, in fact she travelled no farther than 6 hexes from her start point. I obviously did something wrong with this TF, as every other (*) TF reached it's intended destination. This means I have a fleet CV out of position for the critical first week of the war. My intended hammer in the Celebes is now missing and I fear much of the Allied shipping will escape destruction fleeing the Philippines. Many of my early invasion TF's heading towards the Celebes are now at risk, as they were relying on CV Kaga to clear the way.

As Japan, you ALWAYS run your Turn 1 against yourself. [:-] I save it in another slot and let it play out. I do just the naval stuff first and run a practice turn before I continue on with my Turn 1 orders as your ships are the most important thing. I take the AOs out of TF 2 which should be one of those (*) bonus move TFs. Then make it an "Escort TF" and add Kaga. She is given a different Home Port (Babeldoab) or CamRahn Bay. Did you do it this way or with another TF??
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “After Action Reports”