Supply milk runs?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DarkFib3r

Supply milk runs?

Post by DarkFib3r »

Is there a way to get a tanker or cargo ship to do a full load but then go on a circuit, dropping off smaller amounts of supply to a chain of bases? Some of my bases are requesting small amounts of fuel and/or supply and it seems like a shame to have to dedicate an entire tanker or cargo ship exclusively to them.

Right now, I send a full load to a base and cancel the unload midway through (usually a day or two later) and then send the ship off to another nearby base. But this lacks some precision; the rate that the unload works at the different bases governs how much they'll get, which is often not optimal.

Any thoughts, ideas, or techniques are appreciated!
geofflambert

RE: Supply milk runs?

Post by geofflambert »

Don't dock them, that will slow them down some unloading. Usually they don't automatically dock unless they have a lot of their turn left. If they've unloaded enough, order them to stop unloading and send them to the next stop.

kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

I believe the short answer is "no". Am pretty sure way points only let you refuel (or not) en-route, no option for disembark or unloading at way points prior to reaching your end point destination. For clustered bases, say islands around Pago Pago if like me you tend to play Allied, have one location as your main "drop off" point from the mainland and use a few TFs of small tankers/cargo ships to make the rounds to the other local islands from that local central supply dump. Just sending out the small ships to drop and return to Pago, one island each run. Completing a couple of runs a week. Establishing a cadence to keep all supplied.
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

I set up a supply/fuel hub and use the small xAKLs to distribute to outlying bases.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Easier to set up a bunch of convoys to do the 'milk runs'.

Send a major task force from your home port loaded with fuel, set it to computer CS and let it repeat the trip over and over to a forward supply dump. Then from that forward dump make a bunch of small task forces the same way, hauling the fuel from the forward supply dump to places you need it again on repeating CS convoys.

For example:

As the IJN, I run a big tanker (or AK loaded with fuel) convoy out of Tokyo using my 10k plus tankers and/or large AKs. I send this one to either Saipan or Truk, and from their I use smaller AKs or singles of those 1200 load tankers to take the fuel to places like Palau, Kavieng, Rabaul, etc.

In other words, you make a convoy supply chain, instead of depending on one ship to do all the work, you use several ships to handle the job (its also not as devastating to the supply situation when you lose a single ship to subs). Another advantage of this is you do not have to babysit it like you would using the single ship method of go here, unload one turn, send it to the next stop, etc.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
DarkFib3r

Post by DarkFib3r »

Great answers, everybody. Thanks for replying!
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Another advantage is that it is more efficient to have your larger and/or faster AK/TK's on runs between big bases where they can load/unload faster and use the smaller ones from there to the small bases,
goatan

Post by goatan »

Send a major task force from your home port loaded with fuel, set it to computer CS and let it repeat the trip over and over to a forward supply dump.
Just to check i understand you if i set a convoy up to deliver supplies to Brisbane from San francisco and then set it to computer control it will make multiple trips automatically?
House Stark

Post by House Stark »

You need to click twice on where it says "human control". The first click makes it "computer control" and the next makes it "CS". CS task forces go back and forth between two bases transporting the designated material (supplies, fuel, resources etc).
goatan

Post by goatan »

ORIGINAL: House Stark

You need to click twice on where it says "human control". The first click makes it "computer control" and the next makes it "CS". CS task forces go back and forth between two bases transporting the designated material (supplies, fuel, resources etc).
You have made me a very happy man
Alekks

Post by Alekks »

Be sure to check the intended CS convoy path and adjust as needed using waypoints. The default of the game engine is to go by the most direct route between origin and destination locations. Early in the war, this can bring the Allied CS convoy (West Coast to Australia) within LB air range as the route does not swing south at times until it gets west of Pearl. That course will run straight into hostile LB air umbrella.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”