What do you think?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

What do you think?

Post by GaryChildress »

Over at the Close Combat Series forums there's a thread about Matrix being a "disservice" to the CC community which seems to have attracted a (albeit) small following. I seem to be the only one in the thread questioning the supposed "fact" that Matrix has been a disservice to the CC franchise.

Am I the only one who has never had a legitimate problem with Matrix that couldn't be agreeably fixed, nor witnessed such a problem with anyone else (in my albeit limited forum browsing)? I mean, is it an expectation thing? I expect Matrix to charge a fair market price for their games and I expect that there will be times when something doesn't go quite the way I would like. Am I just a sucker, or worse, an apologist for a greedy corporation? Do I stand in the way of progress by not complaining about things I don't like if I find them to be understandably the way they are?

I mean, I think there are disgracefully greedy companies out there but I've never pictured Matrix as one of them, let alone as being any kind of "disservice" to a wargamer's community. I've always seen Matrix as a company run by wargamers, for wargamers and that part of being a company means you have to do things in such a way that will keep the company profitable, while at the same time being honest and fair to the customer. And I have always witnessed Matrix being such as far as my limited experiences go.

Just curious what some of the denizens here think? [&:]
Titanwarrior89

RE: What do you think?

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I agree with you Matrix is a excellent company-I trust them.....most I do not trust......Their games are high sometimes but I understand why but still overall not as high as most market games.  Plus we are buying them with the code(even though we don't own the rights to them-and we shouldn't) not renting as I see it with some other game companies.  Now one day this may change but I trust the future direction that Matrix may take one day.  Meaning I think they would look out for their fellow gamers and customers.  Just my 2 cents, Ill get off the soap box now.....Next![:)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Today is my 10 year anniversary of being here, but I lurked for about a year before. I came here for a FREE version of Steel Panthers and found a great community. I have stayed here and beta tested, to help pay back and bought a few to show support. No one does more for keeping classics alive and helping out indies than Matrix. I've also seen the staff go through hoops for unreasonable people that I would have told to go away or something like that.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Over at the Close Combat Series forums there's a thread about Matrix being a "disservice" to the CC community which seems to have attracted a (albeit) small following. I seem to be the only one in the thread questioning the supposed "fact" that Matrix has been a disservice to the CC franchise.

Am I the only one who has never had a legitimate problem with Matrix that couldn't be agreeably fixed, nor witnessed such a problem with anyone else (in my albeit limited forum browsing)? I mean, is it an expectation thing? I expect Matrix to charge a fair market price for their games and I expect that there will be times when something doesn't go quite the way I would like. Am I just a sucker, or worse, an apologist for a greedy corporation? Do I stand in the way of progress by not complaining about things I don't like if I find them to be understandably the way they are?

I mean, I think there are disgracefully greedy companies out there but I've never pictured Matrix as one of them, let alone as being any kind of "disservice" to a wargamer's community. I've always seen Matrix as a company run by wargamers, for wargamers and that part of being a company means you have to do things in such a way that will keep the company profitable, while at the same time being honest and fair to the customer. And I have always witnessed Matrix being such as far as my limited experiences go.

Just curious what some of the denizens here think? [&:]
I think that the whole Close Combat thing was a disaster. A badly dated games re-released without enough resources, patches for important issues never materializing, false advertising of CCMT, team members like Flamethrower throwing insults at customers, full prices for barely updated 10 year old games, etc.
Certainly if I'd judge just by Close Combat series, I wouldn't consider Matrix Games a decent company.

But then there is for example Command Ops which is the cutting edge of wargaming, SPWAW which was released for free, no intrusive DRM, and some other good stuff. To be honest, if I hadn't heard the first time about Matrix Games in the Close Combat community but had experience with their previous releases, I'd be really surprised with their handling of the Close Combat series and I wouldn't be able to recognise them as the same company as the one which released so many high class wargames before.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

+1 agree 100%,charging full price for outdated graphics and adding nothing new is what people are mad about and they have every right to be.Not fixing issues like vehicle pathing should have been dealt with before any re release or what ever they want to call it.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

+1 agree 100%,charging full price for outdated graphics and adding nothing new is what people are mad about and they have every right to be.Not fixing issues like vehicle pathing should have been dealt with before any re release or what ever they want to call it.
The outdated graphics were last of the problems of the CC re-releases and weren't really that visible at the time of re-release. The main problem is the whole presentation being outdated - no zoom in/zoom out, no heigh-map, no proper information filtering, etc.
Then there's CCMT which was marketed as an accurate modern warfare simulation and tactical experience with accurate modern equipment modelling while they didn't implement of modern technology like various types of ATGMs, reactive armour, night vision, MANPADs, etc. and without a AI that can use any sensible tactics.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Judging their overall performance and support, I feel Matrix is tops! I have never had any major problems with them. Pricing seems their only downside. I recently lost a computer and I had to jump through hoops with other companies games to get them reinstalled! Not Matrix games! No problem from their products. I give Matrix an A. It would be an A+, but they do have some ridiculous prices on obsolete games.[;)]
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

I've dealt with 2 other (nameless here) companies besides MATRIX and Slitherine and I can honestly say that "These two came/come through for me every time". I'll pay the price, for the service.
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

I like Matrix. They rescued TOAW from oblivion and publish TOAW III - the development of which continues to this day.

And for that I am eternally grateful.

In addition, I don't have to keep sticking a cd into my disk drive, I don't have to be online to play the game, and I don't need a bunch of dongles (remember them?) sticking out the back of my computer.

It is true that Matrix have made some mistakes. This is inevitable. When they have made mistakes they do their best to fix them. As far as I can tell, they are bunch of good people who want nothing more than to sell good quality wargames to wargamers who want to buy them.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I'm very happy with Matrix although I don't buy much. I like that there's a company willing to keep this stuff moving along. I really wish they could get the retail end of things bolted down and polished up, but that's not a real big deal. I'm lookingo forward to future releases and someday having the time to enjoy other games they have for sale.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Return to “General Discussion”