Intelligence option

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Edfactor

Intelligence option

Post by Edfactor »

How is this going to work?

I don't like the rule myself, because I object to modifying weather and turn end die rolls. In the rule book it is worded something like "there are some die rolls players may not want to allow to be rerolled" or something like that, but its left up to the players to decide which ones.
Beryl

RE: Intelligence option

Post by Beryl »

On modifying weather and turn's end, many players have the same opinion, raisonning that it is impossible to change the length of the month or summon good or bad weather by magic, but it is a matter of taste and perception of the game mechanisms
For example, one can wifzen that :

DDay was a situation were Germany had checked that the next weather roll was 1 (Storm) and no invasion could occur this impulse but the allies took the risk and changed it to rain, with -1 odd level. This simulates better weather forecasting on the Channel for one side (weather comming mainly from the west Atlantic).
IMHO there was no rain during DDay itself, but the naval and air bombing was mostly innefficient (like in rain) and the troops were subject to sea sickness because of the previous storm

In M/J 41, Germany had initiative and attacked by surprise on the nearly last impulse (21 june), but changed the turn end to insure that USSR could not react this turn (Stalin out of office for several days), allowing for a double move and a major breakthrough in July
"Nicht kleckern, klotzen!" - Guderian
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Edfactor

I don't like the rule myself, because I object to modifying weather and turn end die rolls. In the rule book it is worded something like "there are some die rolls players may not want to allow to be rerolled" or something like that, but its left up to the players to decide which ones.
I doubt that this option can be programmed. Maybe - if significant chances are made to the way the rule is implemented.

The basic difficulty is that any players with available intelligence pointw could 'use' them before any die roll. So, before rolling any die the program would have to ask players a Do/Don't quesion. That would grow tedious almost immediately.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I doubt that this option can be programmed. Maybe - if significant chances are made to the way the rule is implemented.

The basic difficulty is that any players with available intelligence pointw could 'use' them before any die roll. So, before rolling any die the program would have to ask players a Do/Don't quesion. That would grow tedious almost immediately.
It was prposed a couple of times that a command be available in a drop down menu, where a player would say "I want to use intell on my next roll", or "on next German roll", so that the game knows that on next said roll he has to ask the player who selected the command if he wants to add +1, -1 or 0 to the roll.
Edfactor

Post by Edfactor »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Thats good, like I said I do not like the rule. And as you point out it is even more tedious on a comuter game.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I would just like to say that i have never played with intelligence.....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
johnball

Post by johnball »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I did once.
But I didn't inhale!!!!
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: johnball

I did once.
But I didn't inhale!!!!

I worked in Intelligence,

Which explains a lot!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
bo

Post by bo »

A lot of players have said that about you[:D]

Bo
USSLockwood

Post by USSLockwood »

We played it once. We found it to be too powerful. In the end, everyone was pouring build points into intel, leaving units unbuilt.
Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: bo

Bo

Naughty boy!!!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

ORIGINAL: bo

Bo

Naughty boy!!!
Warspite1

Er...I think my self-deprecating joke got lost in translation [8|]

Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Thought it was a lapse of yours...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

No I hoped the ...... at the end of the sentence would have given it away without resorting to a smiley face which would have spoilt the effect. Wish I'd gone for the smiley face now....or better still not bothered mentioning it....

bo

Post by bo »

Warspite1

No I hoped the ...... at the end of the sentence would have given it away without resorting to a smiley face which would have spoilt the effect. Wish I'd gone for the smiley face now....or better still not bothered mentioning it....

Sorry warspite1 could not help it, I think it is the boredom that got to me[;)] Your lucky Crussdaddy did not see your comment, could you imagine what he would have thought[:-]

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”