Has there been any further word on the expansion?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Javaslinger

Has there been any further word on the expansion?

Post by Javaslinger »

It was mentioned in a thread some time ago and since then I haven't seen a peep...
WoodMan

RE: Has there been any further word on the expansion?

Post by WoodMan »

Not yet as far as I'm aware. My guesstimated release would be November (judging on DW history) so hopefully some info soon!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Things to consider for the future - Troop experience, multiple troop types, troop equipment and research, troop design, drop pods and drop ships, boarding pods and boarding actions, etc. Some of them almost made it into Legends, but we had to keep the feature list and resulting development time within what we could afford for this release. If Legends does well, those of you that want more work in this area may be well rewarded.

Erik gave some pointers pre Legends release.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Nice, I hadn't seen that.
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

I get the feeling that this game/community has never been much of a priority..there is hardly any marketing and the devs dont involve themselves with the players other than to give bimonthly updated
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: Evrett

I get the feeling that this game/community has never been much of a priority..there is hardly any marketing and the devs dont involve themselves with the players other than to give bimonthly updated

Wait what?

Much of the content of the recent beta batches is based on suggestions from the players.

Elliot may not write here too often, but he does and listen to the community.

(and imho - it's better that he writes code rather than forum posts during his work hours [:D])
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Thanks for some suggestions from community we have broken AI in Legends...
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

Elliot has not posted on these forums in any form since early March (2012). Some sign from him in some form would be nice. I would prefer 10 minutes of his time per week responding in some form here vs those 10 minutes spent on coding.
Beag

Post by Beag »

Yeah, 2 -3 posts per week wouldn´t be that much.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: WiZz

Thanks for some suggestions from community we have broken AI in Legends...

Is it? How?
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Community suggested sphere of influence and now AI doesn't expand so quickly like in Shakturi.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

Why do you consider those examples of a "broken" AI?
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

I played Legends and Shakturi and can compare.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

That's not saying the AI is "broken," that's just saying it doesn't play the way you prefer.
Beag

Post by Beag »

And besides, it works both ways, if they colonize first they block you as well. So the problem is that they maybe don´t prioritize colony ships or colony techs as much as they should. And it´s tricky to balance that, specially because even the player can get a bloody nose if he overextends. I´ve got two games where I was spanked by trying to expand too fast... even if money isn´t a problem most of the time, not having resources or bases can be a pain in the ass. ****ing kiadians can be bad neighbours...
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

****ing kiadians
can be easily wiped out, if you don't make critical mistakes and turn off automanager. [;)]

No, guys, I say serious. AI in Legends weaker, than in Return of Shakturi. It's enough for me to find 1 (one) derelict (cruiser/destroyer or even frigate) and I can destroy neighbor spaceport, set blockade and wait for training enough troops, which conquer me an enemy capital. Even without cheater ships it's more easier to crash enemy, than deal with it.

I also forgot to say about broken diplomacy. Now for me it has one purpose - to declare war. Create alliances is nearly impossible in Legends and there is need for it. I NEVER saw situation, when a few empires created alliances and kicked me together in Legends. In Shakturi it was very rarely, but was.

I also forget about useless (in my opinion) optimized designs. Very useful for human players, but useless for AI players. There are no surprises in game with this feature.
In this topic you may read about my point of view - tm.asp?m=3065137
Beag

Post by Beag »

Probably yes, but after colonizing four planets and losing one of those with an already half-built space port blown (which was the first one I built), it would be a pain. The AI isn´t that retarded, overextending + not capturing as many ships as them = suffering several setbacks. Also, another factor that weighs in is having bad luck with research locations, I only had a high-tech base, was playing as Mortalen with military dictatorship = crap tech rate.
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

I think, that possibility to change government types and being super government types (path of ancients/darkness) is a great exploit and cheat.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

It's also subjective. Some people may prefer small galaxy games that are fast, fierce, two-fisted white knuckle action with phaser and titan beams running white hot. Others might prefer large galaxy games that are slow, languid even. Where the action is mostly sedate until massive fleets collide with mutual annihilation.

Personally, I tend to prefer slower games. I want to enjoy the time where everyone putters around in low tech ships. I don't mind the AI expanding native planet types in a hurry too much, but I'm not particularly interested in a game where the AI quickly snatches up alternate world colonization and rushes to grab up planet after planet, forcing me to do the same just to compete. I want the AI competitive, but on my terms.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: WiZz

I played Legends and Shakturi and can compare.

Good news you can stil play it and enjoy its fantasy great A.I.The grown ups will keep playing Legends.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”