New player/private sector

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

iron_skull

New player/private sector

Post by iron_skull »

Just got the game last night, I'm not that far into my first game, but I'm puzzled as to some things. First, the Ikkuro nation has a massive hate-on for me because I apparently am infringing on their territory. Yet, none of my mining bases etc actually cross over into their sphere of influence. One did, I deleted it. The degree of dislike went down some, but not away. I have a few worlds that are RIGHT at the border, would that explain the dislike?

Second: I'm on friendly terms with another race, yet my private sector seems to like the idea of sabotaging it by trying to open up mining operations on moons around their home planet and the like. I've been cancelling it so far, but I dont want my private sector sabotaging my alliances. How do I stop this? Or is it actually a net positive that I should allow despite the diplomatic hang ups?

edit: the race im friends with I have a FTA with, if that matters at all.
Lonck

RE: New player/private sector

Post by Lonck »

First: remove weaps from private ships. Every ship that has weaps are seen as military(private and state ships).
Second: You could have mining agreement with the ally maybe that is why private sector is trying to mine on his moons or alternatively you could get one and not worry about the relation hit.
iron_skull

Post by iron_skull »

I dont have one yet, but I guess I'll ask for one. How do I ensure my private ships dont have weapons?
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I dont think weapons on private ships count as military encroachment. Only your government military ships do. Because by default all private ships have nominal weapons for defense.
Lonck

Post by Lonck »

That doesn't mean anything. The default design could be automatic so the AI could still think those ships are military. Either that or the OP doesn't understand the game and isn't giving the full picture.
martok

Post by martok »

Actually, I had a construction ship in my current Wekkarus campaign heading toward another faction's territory to build a mining station (and I didn't have a mining agreement with them either), so something strange is going on.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: martok

Actually, I had a construction ship in my current Wekkarus campaign heading toward another faction's territory to build a mining station (and I didn't have a mining agreement with them either), so something strange is going on.

It could have started it's journey before they controlled that area. AI seems to grab whatever construction ship is free, regardless of where it is (eg: other side of the galaxy). So a no-fuel crawl across the galaxy to pick up supplies at the port, then potentially (if port has no fuel stockpiled) another no-fuel crawl to the construction destination.

I think the only way to confirm what's happening, is to manually halt all your constructors and save regularly. When you find this happening again, go back to a previous save and check what that construction ship was doing last.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

I dont think weapons on private ships count as military encroachment. Only your government military ships do. Because by default all private ships have nominal weapons for defense.

It shouldn't, as the game only allows 1 weapon per civie ship

* Hint/spoiler

Unless Elliot has made any changes, you could still put as many Ion Cannons and Point Defense weapons on a freighter as you like. While they won't be useful in a military role, they can quite easily escape if attacked. I believe this would also help with the money issues, as you make a lot of money replacing lost freighters for the private sector. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

"One" weapon is basically worthless, not to mention their now-changeable behavior makes them unable to actually use the weapon. So now I don't even bother to equip them with anything like "shields" or even "armor", figuring that they will be completely worthless no matter what I do and abandon their missions at the sight of a single obsolete Maxos blaster, even when that ship isn't even physically capable of hurting it and should just be ignored, so I just indiscriminately slag and mutilate them at whim by blasting waves indiscriminately, frying them and forcing the private sector to buy new ones. Why bother wasting valuable resources on them when they refuse to do their jobs anyway?

Armament by definition must be all-or-nothing. Either the ship is equipped to withstand any attack and destroy everything it will encounter, or trying is a waste of time and money.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Oil tankers do not have the 16"/50 caliber Mark 7 guns.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Oil tankers don't have ANY guns, which illustrates my point: All Or Nothing. They also happen to inhabit a world where nobody actually shoots at them. Not even pirates will actually open fire on one.

Now imagine what they'd look like if the entire world was Somalia, only the pirates were completely psychotic and the anti-pirate navies were also hostile. I'm thinking yes, they'd probably have to start packing.

The model of ship design you're looking at is not "Oil Tankers", it's "Pirates of Caribbean". An East Indiaman is practically a warship.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”