OT - P-40 found in Egyptian desert

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Knavey

OT - P-40 found in Egyptian desert

Post by Knavey »

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Mac Linehan

RE: OT - P-40 found in Egyptian desert

Post by Mac Linehan »

Knavey -

Outstanding link, photos and subject. I do hope that the wreck can be salvaged and preserved.

Thank you, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Sad about the pilot. Survived the crash only to be swallowed up by the desert.....
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

Nice photo's but their braver than I am. That powder their picking up can be unstable at that age. Having something detonate when you pick it up can ruin your whole day...
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Really amazing condition. An excellent candidate for restoration. Thanks
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

An H-87A-3 was a Kittyhawk Mk 1A which were P-40Es in US service. The gun tubes in the wings look like an early E. The early Es had very little flange around the gun tubes where they emerged from the wing. Later Es (and subsequent versions) had a fairing around the gun tubes.

Amazingly good condition, I wonder who will restore it. I bet Paul Allen is angling for it.

The last few weeks have been full of news about lost warbirds found between the Spitfires in Burma and this.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Awesome photos. Yes those Spitfires are supposed to be still in crates and packaged well~! [X(]
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

An H-87A-3 was a Kittyhawk Mk 1A which were P-40Es in US service. The gun tubes in the wings look like an early E. The early Es had very little flange around the gun tubes where they emerged from the wing. Later Es (and subsequent versions) had a fairing around the gun tubes.
Not so sure about the American Survive. The national markings on the back are either British, Australian or Kiwi. Which one has the yellow circle on the outside? British
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Not so sure about the American Survive. The national markings on the back are either British, Australian or Kiwi. Which one has the yellow circle on the outside? British
I think it is early war British marking, In late war marking, darker colors have bigger circles and yellow was reduced
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

All Commonwealth air units operating in Europe and Africa came under the control of the RAF and used RAF standards for insignia. The only way to tell the nationality of the unit is to know what letter codes went with which squadrons. When the US entered the war in North Africa, some early units operated with British tail flashes and all US aircraft in Europe and North Africa conformed to the RAF's squadron code system. That's why American aircraft in those theaters all had a three letter (or sometimes letters and number) code.

In the Pacific, the US was free to do it's own thing and had a different system for unit ID.

This is definitely not an American operated P-40E. All the Warhawks in the area were either British or operating under RAF control.

The British roundels were different in different positions. On the side of the fuselage, they had a yellow border. The size of the border varied with time and unit. The wide yellow surround was mostly early war, but some planes in 1942 had it.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Remember when the Lady Be Good was found back around 1959-'60??

I am sure the deserts holds as many tragic ends as do the oceans and lakes of the world.

jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Yahoo had kinda a partial update to the story about the pilot -
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/fighter-plane-world-war-ii-found-194133295.html
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Pictures and story from last week's Daily Mail UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... esert.html

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

Damn What a way to go............. No Thanks.
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

In excellent condition, too!

Funny how it looks like it's sitting on the surface of Mars. Considering where it is out in the middle of nowhere, it may as well be. I can't imagine what must have been going through the mind of the pilot before he faded. [:(]
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

BTW, it must be emphasized that, judging from photos (i.e. bullet holes), the P-40 was shot down and then did the emergency landing in the desert...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”