COTA Problem

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

nicwb

COTA Problem

Post by nicwb »

Hi Arjuna,

sorry to blast from the past - but I've been playing COTA recently - and the game I've been playing has developed an annoying problem. I've been running Thermopalye Spartans at the pass ves 2 and everytime I hit 21.00 on day 3 the game crashes. I get a message that COTAhas stopped working and Windows will advise me if there is a solution (some hope!)

Any assiatnce would be appreciated.

nicwb
Lieste

RE: COTA Problem

Post by Lieste »

It isn't necessary to post questions about legacy COTA in the CmdOps forum, Arjuna watches both.

I'll test install COTA on this system. What hardware/windows version are you running? The 'fake' we'll get back to you, troubleshooting placebo makes me think Vista/Win7. XP used to just say 'program has encountered a problem and has to shut down'... you could opt to report the error, but there was no over-sell of how likely you'd ever hear from MS (I have never had a single correspondence about any windows 'fault').
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Thanks Lieste,

as soon as I posted I realised there was still a COTA forum.

Yeah I'm not coonfident about hearing anything usefule from Microsoft - I think their default position is "its the fault of something, anything other than our product."[8|]

I'm running Microsoft Windows 7

My hardware is an Alienware Mx18 with an Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2720QM CPU@2.20GHz 2.20GHz processor

8.00GB installed memory and 64 bit operating system.

Hope that helps. Once again thanks.

wodin

Post by wodin »

nicwb, if the scenario turns out to work on other systems my advice would be to keep your saves but uninstall then reinstall.
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

Does the problem still exist if you make a save at around 18:00 on D3, and load from that point?
If so, can you send the save game from around that time... I haven't had time with other troubleshooting to sit down and play from the beginning, though I have re-installed the program, ready for testing... It would ease the task to run just the save.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I had that problem too. Just with that scenario, actually. Kept saving just before and I think finally worked out to keep it on slowest speed past the crash point. Maybe you tried this and it's not the same, but I do recall it was only that scenario that CTD.
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Thanks everyone.

The crash happened always at 21.00

Lieste, I had a save at 20.57. I tried your approach and created a save at 20.59 and then left it to run - first time through it crashed dead on 21.00. However, on the re-start from the 20.59 save I got through to 21.00 (and nightfall) intact.

Phoenix -thanks- I was running through at the slowest speed (mainly because I was watching a delicate move around Molos).

Wodin thanks for the suggestion - I was going to use that as an emergency ultimate response. Trouble is I would have had to wait a few days, as I'm working away from home and my hard copy of COTA.

nicwb
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

So... a triumph for support?? [:D]
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Most definitely - a good set of practical (and workable solutions) [&o]

(and a damn sight quicker than waiting for microthingy)

Return to “Tech Support”