Casualty counts

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

kg_1007

Casualty counts

Post by kg_1007 »

I have noticed for some time a discrepancy in the casualty counts after a battle. Say, for example, you are facing a enemy unit, and the combat report states that unit has 10.000 men, 1.000 guns, 500 afv.
At the end of your combat, it says that the enemy casualties are 2.000 men(leaving 8.000 by my math) 400 guns(leaving 600, again, by my math) and 250afv(leaving, again, by my math, 250). You force the unit to retreat. You move forward, same turn, immediately afterwards, hit them again with a hasty attack, and the combat report shows their starting strength to be 8400(another 400 men joined suddenly??) 422 guns (another 22 guns??) and 295afv(?????)
Ok, being an officer in the real world, I know that intelligence is likely the culprit as we never know **exactly** how many casualties we have inflicted. I want to believe that is what is going on, is that in FOW, we are getting wrong initial reports, but I have a nagging feeling that this is like the "warp out of the pocket" etc, a small cheat for the AI.
My question is if anyone has seen this, and if anyone knows whether it is an AI aid, or poor intelligence(which would be my guess, IF we also did not know all along how many casualties we have inflicted..however, there is a report easily available to show up to the minute casualties, so I am thinking it is not "poor intelligence")
Joel Billings

RE: Casualty counts

Post by Joel Billings »

Troops in the battle count damaged squads at full value. Casualties treat a damaged squad as 1/2 of the men in the squad as a casualty, but the squad doesn't immediately leave the unit. Let's say you have 3 12 men squads, 1 destroyed and 1 damaged. So 36 men were in the first battle and there were 18 casualties. In the second battle, with 1 damaged and 1 ready squad, it will report 24 men in the battle (even though the damaged squad does not get to actually fight). If you have 10000 men in a unit, but all the squads are damaged, it will report 10000 men in the battle, but you won't do very well. [:)] We realize this can be very confusing, but we didn't want to only count destroyed squads when reporting casualties as this is also misleading. So this is not a FOW issue but arises due to the system used that damages squads and how we count various things.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
kg_1007

RE: Casualty counts

Post by kg_1007 »

Ahh..that makes sense then! Thanks [:)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”