OT: my hopes for incoming WitW

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

xmas

OT: my hopes for incoming WitW

Post by xmas »

My hopes for incoming WAR IN THE WEST (as Mediterranean theater) are:

the game will be air/naval/land simulation:

To be able to choice turn of 1 day (my favorite) or 3 days (as WitP: AE)
To be able to make change in the production: tanks, guns, planes ... (as WitP: AE and old WiR)
To be able to make change in unities equipment: tank, guns, planes … (as WitP: AE and old WiR)
Including possibility to execute exploit in 1940 or “C3” operation vs Malta (as axis player).

for air simulation THE SAME as WitP: AE
- Making able unities leaving the planes in location to other unities before to withdraw as rest in motherland,
ex. Italian unities leaving CR 42, MC 200, SM 79 in Libian theater before withdrawing for re-equipment in Italy.
- Making able to attach or detach in or from every HQ

for naval simulation THE SAME as WitP: AE

for land simulation THE SAME as WitE
- but to able to split unities in every (historical numbered) components – AT battalions – flak battalions –
pioneer battalions – engineer battalions – arts regiments and battalions – tanks regs and bats – inf regs and
bats etc. AS OR BETTER than WitP:AE. Ex: Rommel in front of Gazala join in a new unity “Brigade mot 15” every
pioneers battalions available.

Don´t use only WitE game as base for new game.
TRULY N.1 simulation game EVER-CHAMPION is WitP:AE !!!
(In my opinion WitE is enormous WASTE OPPORTUNITY, the old WiR was more playable and addicting game and I say that about Russian is my favorite scenario of battle than ever)

Good work!
ETF

RE: OT: my hopes for incoming WitW

Post by ETF »

+1 all excellent ideas and improvements to the franchise!
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Wild

Post by Wild »

+1
I think combining the best from both games, as well as giving both sides maximum control over there forces would go along way to put the game back on solid footing.
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

So you want a day by day, bn level, individual plane and ship level game.... well, ok, but of course it has nothing to do with WitE. I think it is... not a well thought through wish list, but to each their own. But think twice when you say things like wasted opportunity. You really mean opportunity to make the game YOU want, I don't think you or wild really represent majority of the market.
Wild

Post by Wild »

It may have "nothing to do with WITE" as you say, but it would be a hell of alot more fun and i bet you would sell way more copies too.(Jusy my opinion of course)
xmas

Post by xmas »

So you want a day by day...

as WitP:AE

... bn level, ...

not necessary, I think that correct hexagon may be half of WitE (10-15 km of diameter). Ex. From sea/El Alamein to Quatara lowland may be 3 or 4 hexagons (35-40 km of course).

I would like to see in the hexagons any unit available: II, III, X, XX or HQ as in WitP:AE.

...individual plane and ship level game....

as WitP:AE (well if you ask if I want anything more: I would like to decide what load in the convoy (in general way of course: tanks quantities, or guns quantities, or abstract value of light weapons, or parts of planes/tanks, ammo, fuel etc. … to say a bit more details than WitP:AE)

well, ok, but of course it has nothing to do with WitE.

of course the title of this thread start with “O.T.” … but it is not true that “it has nothing to do with WitE”: developers of incoming WitW are same of WitE, and casually are the same of WitP:AE …

I think it is... not a well thought through wish list, but to each their own.

of course “De gustibus non est disputandum”.

But think twice when you say things like wasted opportunity. You really mean opportunity to make the game YOU want
Yes, you have catch me !!! I would like to play to game of I would …

In the specific I would like a WitE more historical accurate (see air war, historical numbered sub-units in the divisions available to detach them) and more playable from player (see control production, control upgrade/downgrade and change equipments, make possibility form units from historical list etc.).

I don't think you or wild really represent majority of the market.
well I think that nobody that like (pay) and play “2by3” games, may represent majority of the market …!!! :)
Da_Huge_D

Post by Da_Huge_D »

Ur nickname tells everything. lol: "I WANT this and this for xmas present" Sorry, just had to say it.
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

ORIGINAL: xmas

As previously stated by the devs:
"Scale is the same for WitW 43-45 and all WitW/WitE/WiE games, 10 miles per hex, weekly turns"

With weekly turns, I do not expect a detailed naval/air combat model.

xmas

Post by xmas »

With weekly turns, I do not expect a detailed naval/air combat model.

Yeah, me too. That is principal reason about I did open the thread ...

I don´t understand, 2by3 create a incredible game as WitP:AE, win the title of strategic simulation of the year over a maximum weight as Heart of Iron III,

and "leave the winning game (virtually) in the dust" ... developing a Mediterranean theater game ?

More about naval: I always spoke of WitW as (until 1943) a Mediterranean theater game, but if we see all WEST, what about campaign of wolves ?

Convoys war in the Atlantic, North Sea, corsair journeys of Atlantis, Kormoran, etc., Bismarck Scharnorst, Gnesenau sorties ?

I think the WitP:AE mechanics may be perfect about WitW (improving LAND mechanics).

I have sensation than 2by3 devs take WitE as base putting some WitP:AE parts, while

(IN MY OPINION ... don´t kill me please) I would use WitP:AE as base improving with WitE parts.

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

War in the West 43-45 is not an attempt to remake WitP or WitP AE in Europe. That would be a monster, to wed WitP daily detail with WitE weekly turns. That Spruce Goose wouldn't fly. What we are doing is making a game that is playable in weekly turns with an air element that has effectively some daily pulses for some air missions. When we start building a WitW 1940 or WitW 41-42, we will be adding on a more robust naval system as well. However, again, it will not be at the level of detail of WitP. There will be more abstraction to it, and less ability to micro-manage daily events. It will be more detailed then the Third Reich naval system, but probably closer to it than to WitP. We have our hands full doing what we're doing. Trying to merge WitP with WitE in my opinion is asking too much for both the developers and the players. Gary has a history of coming up with fun, realistic feeling game systems and I have confidence that he'll do it again when the time comes to add the naval element. The air element that Pavel has been working on for WitW 43-45 is looking good and will allow players to play out both the Srategic Bombing campaign and the ground support and supply and troop interdiction missions that are important to the War in the West (not to mention some amount of air power projected over water to attrit invasion forces). However, again, we're not building Bombing the Reich with minute by minute resolution of the air war, nor do I think anyone would really want this in a War in the West game.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

I still hope that you are planning to eventually include (maybe with a sort of scenario pack/expansion) the Eastern and Balkan Fronts into WitW. And this well before a WitW 40 or WitD 41-42 or a WitE2.

A War in Europe 1943-1945 would be easy to assemble (the map is already there and much of the OoB research was done for WitE) and would be, IMHO, a bestseller.
For sure, no one will complain about the arbitrariness of units' reinforcement/withdrawal schedule! [;)]
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
The air element that Pavel has been working on for WitW 43-45 is looking good and will allow players to play out both the Srategic Bombing campaign and the ground support and supply and troop interdiction missions that are important to the War in the West (not to mention some amount of air power projected over water to attrit invasion forces). However, again, we're not building Bombing the Reich with minute by minute resolution of the air war, nor do I think anyone would really want this in a War in the West game.

The nature of the the Western Front will mean that there will be less ground combat for large periods of the game, so a moderately detailed, playable strategic air war which requires the platyer to make decisions influencing its course will add a lot of interest.

The strategic bomber offensive was checked by the Germans twice in the game's period, late summer/autumn 1943 for the Americans and early 1944 for the British, so it would not be as one sided as it might first appear. If the Allies over-reach themselves the Germans should still be able to do some significant damage.

Fully agree that you don't want to be re-creating BtR and plotting sorties for each individual night intruder mosquito!
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

plotting sorties for each individual night intruder mosquito

That brings back some horrible memories [X(]
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

... I still wake up at night screaming...[:D]
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Dili

Post by Dili »

Ur nickname tells everything. lol: "I WANT this and this for xmas present" Sorry, just had to say it.

I think the xmas nick is a reference to the X Flotilla MAS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS
Note: the photo in Wiki is not a "maiale", but the more modern model that appeared in 1943.

Unfortunately the upcoming Mediterranean game(s) are nothing like WITP-AE.
No one wants to make the first game where air, sea and land have equal development, plus special forces. Something that a Mediterranean game needs or will not work. You can't cut corners in the Mediterranean. So i expect that it will be an unmitigated disaster.
jazman

Post by jazman »

ORIGINAL: xmas

the game will be air/naval/land simulation:

To be able to choice turn of 1 day (my favorite) or 3 days (as WitP: AE)
To be able to make change in the production: tanks, guns, planes ... (as WitP: AE and old WiR)
To be able to make change in unities equipment: tank, guns, planes … (as WitP: AE and old WiR)
Including possibility to execute exploit in 1940 or “C3” operation vs Malta (as axis player).

for naval simulation THE SAME as WitP: AE

Don´t use only WitE game as base for new game.
TRULY N.1 simulation game EVER-CHAMPION is WitP:AE !!!
(In my opinion WitE is enormous WASTE OPPORTUNITY, the old WiR was more playable and addicting game and I say that about Russian is my favorite scenario of battle than ever)

Good work!

I would loved to play the U-boat war (either side). Oh, well...
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

I would welcome a vastly improved interface.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”