JFB Group reserve?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hanzberger

JFB Group reserve?

Post by Hanzberger »

Ok, what is the best use for group reserve IYO?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't get my head around it. It seems easier to just dump everyone in general reserve. Also if you put some pilots in Group reserve it doesn't show the delay it would take to bring that back. I think ideally, it would be great if you could have almost a full reserve of pilots that you could switch out from time to time to reduce fatigue. EX: 18 planes, 36 pilots. 18 pilots fly today, then next 18 (group reserve) tomorrow. (I know there isn't a lot of quality pilots, just throw that out for now [:D]). How is group reserve suppose to work and how do you work it?
Thanks
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
LoBaron

RE: JFB Group reserve?

Post by LoBaron »

Group reserve has two advantages:
If required the pilots in group reserve automatically change to active, and the delay of a group reserve pilot is always 1 for the squadron concerned.

When you instead pull a pilot from general reserve a randomizer determines the delay of the pilot, so chance is high he is not immediately
available for combat ops.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger
I think ideally, it would be great if you could have almost a full reserve of pilots that you could switch out from time to time to reduce fatigue. EX: 18 planes, 36 pilots. 18 pilots fly today, then next 18 (group reserve) tomorrow.

This is not governed by reserve status of the pilots, you can achieve a very similar effect by using the "rest" settings.

PS: Personally I do not rely on group reserve a lot, but this is just a personal habit. It saves a lot of micro management if you overstack squadrons
and let the game itself draw on reserves if needed. I micromanage many of the important units, so rely less on this functionality, useful as it is.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Group reserves are usefull for various things:

1. You don't have to add planes/pilots to the groups that often
2. Pilots that are too fatigued could be changed by less fatigued ones for missions automatically (say easy formula for this could be: EXP-FATIGUE > EXP-FATIGUE. So 80 exp pilot having 30 fatigue could be swapped for a 55 exp pilot with 0 fatigue).
3. You can have more pilots training per group when set to train.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

ORIGINAL: Barb

3. You can have more pilots training per group when set to train.

This is what I use the group reserve for mostly in my training units.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I was pretty "meh" on this until that last bit about training...

Given my nubbishness, I assume group reserve is just having more pilots in the group than the group size (or even just more than its current number of planes)? I think I'm going to have to start doing that.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

WOW the training benefits seem worth it in there own. Thanks Lo Baron for the info on delay, wasn't really sure about that. Also thanks to everyone else for making this clearer to me. [&o]
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

It gives you another 33% of pilots to train up in your training squadrons. This, as a JFB, will help you keep up with the losses you will have.

Return to “The War Room”