Scale--any info

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

osiris_slith

Scale--any info

Post by osiris_slith »

Hi

COH board game is 200m hexes and 15 min turns...all platoon based...is the PC version based on the same scale?,..anyone know and can confirm

rene
general_solomon

RE: Scale--any info

Post by general_solomon »

all i know is each hex is 40-50 meters. I am not sure about the time scale per turn. i am hoping its minutes and not hours.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

osiris you have this version confused with something else. boardgamegeek has the game rules pdf. The first section describes units
1.1 Infantry Squads
Storms of Steel! includes units that represent infantry squads, tanks,
self propelled guns, armored personnel carriers (APCs), trucks,
airplanes, and many others.
The term infantry squads refers to unit counters with listed red
movement costs of 2APs or less, including German infantry, panzer
grenadiers, Soviet rifles, sub-machine guns (SMGs), machine guns
(MGs), mortars, anti-tank rifles, snipers, and engineers. Summaries of
all units are listed on page 19.

Later it states hex size
4.0 Terrain
The battle is played on a map made up of hexes representing
40-50 meters of ground.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
KEYSTONE07950

Post by KEYSTONE07950 »

ORIGINAL: osiris

Hi

COH board game is 200m hexes and 15 min turns...all platoon based...is the PC version based on the same scale?,..anyone know and can confirm

rene

Sounds like the scale to Avalanche Press's Panzer Grenadier Series.
I support the right to arm bears!
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

ORIGINAL: osiris

Hi

rene
No. Where did you get that info? Right in the rules it states that the hexes are 40-50 meters. Each infantry counter represents a team of about 8-10 men. Unless it's a mortar or MG team, then it's more like 3-4 men. Vehicle counters represent one vehicle.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
osiris_slith

Post by osiris_slith »

YIKES!!!! I got the board games mixed up...

sooooooooooooooory [:(]
general_solomon

what about the turn time scale ???????? no one seems to know this info????
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I read the above quoted manual and didn't see any time reference. I suspect that with the variable initiative, it can change. I tried to get an idea from the movement distance of a truck or tank but didn't find a chart.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
wodin

Post by wodin »

Thankgod!

200m Hexes and 15 mins turns really put me off!
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

what about the turn time scale ???????? no one seems to know this info????
The turn time scale is weeks per turn. One can deduce this from actual historical tactical battles. It took a lot of time for the officer on site to write a detailed letter about the unit disposition of what's on the field and send it up the chain of command. This letter to his superiors asked things like should I have my AT gun fire at the Panzer IV, or the PzIII. And this had to be answered buy the Generals. This letter could take a week to get to high command, then answer would then take as long to get back. Sometimes high command would ask for more info before they could answer said question, then more delay would follow. Soldiers had to be very very patient during these tactical battles. If this is beginning to sound like a PBM game to you, that's exactly what it was like. It's were PBM games originated BTW. The primary issue of the day was just finding enough food for the troops to eat while waiting for the next move to be decided by high command. The crews of both the tanks and AT gun in my above example could go through weeks of rations before finding out whether or not they get to shot, or are the target of said shot. These tactical battles were very slow to resolve. All the minutiae of every little thing had to be decided by high command. After WWII, they had decided that war is hell and much to hard to resolve in a timely manner. This is the sole reason there has not been a WWIII.

Early April Fools:)

Actually, I would say each turn represents anywhere from 3-5 minutes.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
general_solomon

You had me there [:D][:D] because I was thinking to myself weeks WEEKS weeks. Wtf wtf . As I was reading your explanations then I said maybe I will be open minded.

You got me bro. [:D]

2 to 3 mins is fabulous as they say in fashion industry.

I think we can put this thread to rest. The question has been answered. I have one before I go, will there be a map and unit editor?

i will take my answer off the air.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”