Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Joel Billings

Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Post by Joel Billings »

Our next game will be War in the West 43-45 which will be the same scale as WitE and will include a more robust air game with the land campaigns and strategic bombing. After that we plan on War in the West 40 (which will include Norway, France, England and the Med, and add a new detailed naval system) and War in the West 41-42 which will focus on the Med. War in the West 43-45 will have campaigns that start in the summer of 43 and the summer of 44, as well as shorter scenarios. We have an alpha map for all of Europe (including the Soviet Union to east of the Urals), North Africa and the Middle East). We plan to use this map to eventually produce a WitE 2.0 which would fit in with the War in the West products and allow us to fill in a complete War in Europe. Of course, this will take many years.

Most of this information has been given out before in various forum posts, but I wanted to post this again to clear things up. I'm sure many of you have questions about the details, but I'd ask you hold those questions and let us focus on development. We'll give you more information in the future as we move along in development and you'll have plenty of time to ask questions.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
gradenko2k

RE: Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Post by gradenko2k »

Perhaps this may be too early to ask, but are you planning WITW-40 and WITW-41-42 to be full-priced games, or scenario packs more in the vein of Don to the Danube?
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

Thanks for the clarification. I will follow these developments being interested by all of 3. I hope the Axis player will be able to manage himself the industry and the production. It's a important component of the game which add more unpredictibility. A system of political points to organise transfer of units from one front to another will bring also uncertainity. What is the time frame for the release of these simulations ?
Da_Huge_D

Post by Da_Huge_D »

Thanks for all your effort for making best wwii operational game ever. I dont mind if witw is full priced or even more lol. The re playability and all things like that are even more than any casual mainstream games on market. Just take my money, i will love witw as much as wite i know it already. Ofcourse there is always bugs and things like that at first but i understand that because those are hell of projects.. Please dont stop what youre doing.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Joel,

You talk about a new naval and air system. Those are welcome things and essential to make the western front and the Med work. But what complexity are we talking about here? WITP scale down to individual squadrons/planes and ships or a more "general control". I for one would love to have a system similar to AE. The current air and naval model in WITE is well, not really satisfactory to be completly honest. What are you planning to do?

A mold between the AE air and naval model and WITE land model would be a dream come true. [:)]

EDIT:
Will you also implement a proper supply system in this game? By proper I mean one that actually mirrors the real situation the Allies faced in 44. This game will need it or you will have the allies in Berlin by late 44. WITE was, ehm, lacking in this aspect aswell.
randallw

Post by randallw »

If Gary dies before all of this is done i'll be pretty unhappy at him.
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

ORIGINAL: randallw

If Gary dies before all of this is done i'll be pretty unhappy at him.

Matrix will be alright though, they ordered the boxed version.

I would pre-buy all these titles if it ment Gary could go out and get a coding robot to expedite the final product....
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Sticky and lock this thing so the current status will be easily seen, and not masked by a lot of side chatter.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Kubel

Post by Kubel »

Can't wait.
Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock
gids

Post by gids »

idd gary and his team need to clone themselves
FB jacky heusequin
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

Will WitW take logistics seriously?
Kamil
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

It would be nice if WitW starts in Tunisia in '43 and continue on to Sicily, Italy, and so forth. I would hope that it would be possible to evacuate some units before the collapse of axis forces in N.Africa.
nate25

Post by nate25 »

I'm a relatively new guy here (currently playing WitP-AE and BftB-HttR) and these games
really, really appeal to me. A couple questions:

1. Will the obvious pro-soviet bias be toned down in follow-on games? I like to soak up the AARs as they play out and there are some big problems with the sovs, IMO. (Morale, etc.)

2. How will you deal with scale? Any ideas yet?

3. Will there be a more detailed naval game? Maybe not on a WitP level, but something less abstracted for the U-boat war, for example?

Thanks,
Nate
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I'm wondering how WITW can possibly have a pro Soviet bias, myself. Since that game has, you know, no Soviets.

We will get to argue about whether it has a German or Allied bias.
WitE Alpha Tester
nate25

Post by nate25 »

Sorry, should have specified WitE, WitW, etc.

I know it's far out in the future, but I was thinking of when the games are linked ultimately.

I smell your sarcasm here. Replies like this are one of the reasons I hesitate to spend the money now, and I know I'm not alone.

To an outsider looking in, the pro-sovs seem to be very resistant to any real change on issues like morale, hvy, etc.

I have no agenda here. I play Allied as well as Japan in WitP-AE, so I'm no particular FB of one side or the other. I would enjoy the sov side as much as the German, as long as it's not set up to be sov victory no matter what.

Please keep your sarcasm and refer me to someone with a little more of a constructive answer.

Nate
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

You can't possibly expect a constructive answer to a nonconstructive question. It's of the "when did you stop beating your wife" variety and forces the person responding to it to accept the premise put forward.

The proper way to respond to this is, yes, sarcasm.

WitE Alpha Tester
nate25

Post by nate25 »

Obviously, I've run right smack into one of the pro-sov folks I'm reading about in the posts.

There were other questions in my original post as well as the "bias" question. Any one else have any thoughts on the direction they might be taking?

Thanks,
Nate
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

They turned down my suggestion to land the Red Army in Normandy, alas. But I'm devious and will find a way to spoil the game, don't fear.

WitE Alpha Tester
nate25

Post by nate25 »

Wow.

Whatever.

I don't claim great knowledge of the game. I don't even own it yet. But as far as the AARs and other posts, there is a great deal that can be gleaned from them. And the bias is one, IMO.

Outright attacks coupled with an unwarranted superior attitude isn't good business.

At any rate, any other answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: nate25

I'm a relatively new guy here (currently playing WitP-AE and BftB-HttR) and these games
really, really appeal to me. A couple questions:

1. Will the obvious pro-soviet bias be toned down in follow-on games? I like to soak up the AARs as they play out and there are some big problems with the sovs, IMO. (Morale, etc.)

2. How will you deal with scale? Any ideas yet?

3. Will there be a more detailed naval game? Maybe not on a WitP level, but something less abstracted for the U-boat war, for example?

Thanks,
Nate

1. We strongly disagree that there is a pro-Soviet or pro-Axis bias in WitE. A few believe this, but let's please keep that out of this WitW thread (feel free to debate it elsewhere). Since version 1.05 and now with 1.06, we think the game is fairly well balanced.

2. Scale is the same for WitW 43-45 and all WitW/WitE/WiE games, 10 miles per hex, weekly turns.

3. Some small but abstract changes to naval rules to account for contested sea zones and amphibous invasions will be in WitW 43-45. Major logistics changes to deal with issues of supplies over beaches and through ports, as well as more detailed rail net/logistic depot rules. WitW 40 and WitW 41-43 will include a much more detailed naval game, but not at the level of detail of WitP-AE. Gary will be designing an entirely new naval system for those games that will provide a major naval component necessary to do the a possible Sea Lion, actions in the Med, and eventually an entire War in Europe. It will be weekly turns not daily like WitP, so do not expect it to be at the same detail level. But Gary has a good track record of designing systems that give the right feel to the player. We eventually will be dealing with U-boats, just can't say now exactly how.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”