Command delay

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

CSO_Talorgan

Command delay

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Some of you may be old enough to remember the Yacquinto trilogy (Panzer, 88 and Armour). It had a neat way of portraying the difficulties of commanding "inferior" troops. They had to have their orders plotted a turn in advance. For really bad troops orders had to be written two moves in advance. This stifled movement somewhat but was less of a problem in defence.

Guess there's no way of having this in ATG?
british exil

RE: Command delay

Post by british exil »

I remember playing a Waterloo game on my Amiga500. You had to pass your orders on to a rider, who would ride to the divisions with orders to move, fall back, attack etc.

Sometimes the courier would not make it as it had been killed by the enemy.

The response from the divisions commander would be then given to the courier and he would then have to ride back to my command post.

Again being targeted by the enemy.

Was frustrating when orders were lost or were not followed. But was great fun.

Wish I could get these old games again and play then on Windows7.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
kvob

Post by kvob »

That was Dr. Peter Turcan's Waterloo. I believe it is available for PC as Abandonware.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I remember the Yaquinto games, going even further back was Air Force/Dauntless and Flattop, all of those were picked up by AH. The three you mentioned essentially competed with the SL/ASL series and were not picked up by AH. Not sure how such a feature could be ported in ATG, command delay essentially. I suppose FOW is a type of delay mechanic although not really a good one. Also, readiness and morale essentially take over to cover some of those types of issues.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
british exil

Post by british exil »

ORIGINAL: kvob

That was Dr. Peter Turcan's Waterloo. I believe it is available for PC as Abandonware.

Yes got it. runs on MS-DOS.
Thx

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

From my personal collection of wargames...
ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

Some of you may be old enough to remember the Yacquinto trilogy (Panzer, 88 and Armour). It had a neat way of portraying the difficulties of commanding "inferior" troops. They had to have their orders plotted a turn in advance. For really bad troops orders had to be written two moves in advance. This stifled movement somewhat but was less of a problem in defence.

Guess there's no way of having this in ATG?

Attachments
yaquintogames.jpg
yaquintogames.jpg (77.63 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I remember the Yaquinto games, going even further back was Air Force/Dauntless and Flattop, all of those were picked up by AH. The three you mentioned essentially competed with the SL/ASL series and were not picked up by AH. Not sure how such a feature could be ported in ATG, command delay essentially. I suppose FOW is a type of delay mechanic although not really a good one. Also, readiness and morale essentially take over to cover some of those types of issues.
Not to mention combat bonuses from HQs when far away... that is perhaps the best way it is simulated.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

That's them!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”