Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Joel Billings

Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945?

Post by Joel Billings »

There are many that have posted that they think the campaign games should end in May 1945. I'm not saying when or even if a change in the code can be made, but I would like to see if there is a consensus among enough players of a possible change. If nothing else, it would give ammunition to those wishing to play by a house rule even if the code (and/or data) is not changed. For the purposes of this poll, assume that the victory levels would remain the same as they are now, with only the date when the conditions were checked changing. It may be possible to release alternative scenario files that end earlier with no code change, and in that case it would be much easier to get done.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945?

Post by Joel Billings »

bump
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I would like to see it end in July after the Russian side has had 4 clear turns.

If your going to have to do a little coding I would like to see VP lowered to 270.

I can dream a little heheh

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

There are many that have posted that they think the campaign games should end in May 1945. I'm not saying when or even if a change in the code can be made, but I would like to see if there is a consensus among enough players of a possible change. If nothing else, it would give ammunition to those wishing to play by a house rule even if the code (and/or data) is not changed. For the purposes of this poll, assume that the victory levels would remain the same as they are now, with only the date when the conditions were checked changing. It may be possible to release alternative scenario files that end earlier with no code change, and in that case it would be much easier to get done.

Hello Joel.

There was a lot of good discussion on reducing the VP total to 260-270 from the present 292. Be great if you could poll on that one as well.
Walt
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I would like to see it end in July after the Russian side has had 4 clear turns.
I agree with this and since the third choice was the closest to it, that's the one I voted for.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I agree that the German's auto-victory number should be reduced, it is pretty ridiculous right now.
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Just doesn't make sense to me to continue this game past May 1945 as it is a game of the Eastern Front - the Western Allies are "assumed" to be on the historical progress (as indicated by the German withdrawal/reinforcement schedule) and would be in Berlin by the end of May if the Germans succeed in holding the Soviets further east.

There is no option in WiTE to send forces west as there was in the old War In Russia to delay outcomes in the Western Theater.

VPs should be based on the historical month of victory in the European Theater, May 1945.
Cerion

Post by Cerion »

Just doesn't make sense to me to continue this game past May 1945 as it is a game of the Eastern Front - the Western Allies are "assumed" to be on the historical progress (as indicated by the German withdrawal/reinforcement schedule) and would be in Berlin by the end of May if the Germans succeed in holding the Soviets further east.

There is no option in WiTE to send forces west as there was in the old War In Russia to delay outcomes in the Western Theater.

VPs should be based on the historical month of victory in the European Theater, May 1945.

OK, it is true.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I would think that if the Germans are doing better against the east, it would have freed up some sort of consequence against the west...thus delaying them until at least June to taking Berlin. But I do agree that the real victory race in the game was between the allies and the Russians on how much of Europe would be gobbled up before Berlin falls.

I also have a pet peeve against games that end on bad weather when weather seemed to have no effect on either eastern or western front in 1945

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Oloren_MatrixForum

Post by Oloren_MatrixForum »

As it is, the Germans get no reinforcements or planes after mid-April. Makes it even harder.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I also have a pet peeve against games that end on bad weather when weather seemed to have no effect on either eastern or western front in 1945

Interesting point, I have thought about that too. But it was not really like it had no effect, both snow and mud are mentioned in accounts of fighting in early 1945, but I guess that the much denser and higher quality road and transportation net in Germany made mud have much less of an impact than in Russia.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Oloren

As it is, the Germans get no reinforcements or planes after mid-April. Makes it even harder.

There is no further production or no new weapon systems? If it is the former, its down right idiotic...
Oloren_MatrixForum

Post by Oloren_MatrixForum »

My apologies, I should've been more clear. They receive no new unit reinforcements or air planes in the national reserve from mid April. Given the rate at which Germany was producing poor quality new units in early 1945, it seems odd that they would simply stop.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I just checked the editor and its very simple to change the end date of the CG scenario. So Joel can we please have an 'alt' 41-45 CG scenario added in the next patch ending in late May 45.

This will please at around 50% of your customers. And the other 50% can continue playing the end in Oct original.

Surely this is a very simple and reasonable request.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I just checked the editor and its very simple to change the end date of the CG scenario. So Joel can we please have an 'alt' 41-45 CG scenario added in the next patch ending in late May 45.

This will please at around 50% of your customers. And the other 50% can continue playing the end in Oct original.

Surely this is a very simple and reasonable request.

Sure, you can make the scenario yourself. Unfortuantely the campaign victory conditions are hard coded, so they won't work. Of course, you could agree to what they are ahead of time as a house rule, in which case there is no need to create the scenario. [;)] That's the basic issue here. In the ideal world this would be in the editor, but it isn't, so any changes in victory conditions require coding changes. I wish campaign victory conditions were in the editor like the scenario victory conditions because then you could make all the changes you wanted and create alternate scenarios, but they aren't, and getting them into the editor is not a trivial task.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

That's the basic issue here. In the ideal world this would be in the editor, but it isn't, so any changes in victory conditions require coding changes. I wish campaign victory conditions were in the editor like the scenario victory conditions because then you could make all the changes you wanted and create alternate scenarios, but they aren't, and getting them into the editor is not a trivial task.

Joel, could you confirm if the new WITW game engine implements the victory conditions through the editor and not hard coded? That would be ideal, and allow traditional boardgamers to play with traditional victory conditions that seemed to have worked just fine for so many years for so many players.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I can confirm it's on my task list and I hope we will be able to do it in WitW. Clearly there's an advantage to having it in the editor so that victory conditions can be altered in alternate scenarios. We do not have WitW victory conditions yet, but when we come up with them I'll clearly be more sensitive of the benefit gained by building them into the editor.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”