upkeep on too many units

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

gwgardner

upkeep on too many units

Post by gwgardner »

Please list all factors related to the upkeep penalty on large forces.

I know that only infantry are counted. But are mechanized infantry considered infantry? Are corps counted as three units? And so on.

doomtrader

RE: upkeep on too many units

Post by doomtrader »

mechanized infantry is not counted, however probably we will implement it in the future.
corps is counted as three division.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks, and what are the force limits for each of the majors?

By the way, this is a very effective way to curtail ridiculously large OOBs. In my current game Clash of the Titans, as Germany I was getting 200+ pps a turn, and then the limit was met, and that was cut to 60. I feel the pain.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

There seems to be a warning message when you are getting close to the limit that tells you what it is. I think it is 300 divisions for the Germans and 60 for the Italians.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

I'll try to implement this feature in more elegant way, counting all types of land units.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Would it be more elegant to allow players to keep buying additional land forces if required but to make the cost per unit increase with every additional division over the limit? The Germans could always have mobilized additional land forces if they had drafted EVERY male into the Heer and left the running of the country to the females <ok ... bring on the sexist jokes>
/Greyshaft
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Or they could have had mild polices and treated the conquered countries with love.

Then they would have several men willing to join or be drafted from those countries as they would have felt part of the Reich and not subdued and dragged into the mud and being treated as subhumans.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I have had the Italians down to 19 corps and 1 division = 58 infantry, for about 3 turns. Still paying increased upkeep costs.

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Actually the mechanism is not so sophisticated, and this is the reason why we are planning to upgrade it and calculate the strength
So the event says less than 20 divisions and less than 15 corps or less than 50 divisions and less than 5 corps.
robertbiagini

Post by robertbiagini »

once you go back below your limit, should the upkeep cost go back down again?
&nbsp;
im using 1.01 beta
&nbsp;
thx
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

I disagree regarding the effectiveness of the current system. No effect then an arbitrary (undocumented) limit is reached and bang big effect. How about just increasing the upkeep to realistic levels. Extra for mech, much extra for armor. Naval and air units should count as well. IMO still too much $$$ in game overall. Another economic item which is pretty bogus is the giant cash prizes (events) for capturing objectives.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"

Return to “Time of Fury”