Capello Gone!!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

Capello Gone!!

Post by warspite1 »

Well, there's a turn up for the books - Don Fabio has resigned!! Who takes England to the Euros now?? [X(][X(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Hanal

RE: Capello Gone!!

Post by Hanal »

This all could have been avoided if John Terry manned up and voluntarily give up the captaincy considering all of the problems he had created....he has become a cancer to the English Squad.....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

This all could have been avoided if John Terry manned up and voluntarily give up the captaincy considering all of the problems he had created....he has become a cancer to the English Squad.....
Warspite1

Yep fair comment - but John Terry only thinks about himself. Can you imagine taking such a dvided squad to a major championships - one lot siding with Terry and the other with Ferdinand (if he's picked). That sort of in-fighting thing is usually the preserve of the Dutch.

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well, there's a turn up for the books - Don Fabio has resigned!! Who takes England to the Euros now?? [X(][X(]
Does it really matter? You will hire a good trainer for a small fortune and he will make the English players play above their skill level and England will be knocked out in the quarter finals and you will find a reason to sack him because England didn't win the tournament.

I do not think England will win a football tournament untill the English realize that there are actually other teams that has players that are as skilled. English overconfidence on and around the football field borders on the legendary.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Does it really matter? You will hire a good trainer for a small fortune and he will make the English players play above their skill level and England will be knocked out in the quarter finals and you will find a reason to sack him because England didn't win the tournament.

I do not think England will win a football tournament untill the English realize that there are actually other teams that has players that are as skilled. English overconfidence on and around the football field borders on the legendary.
Warspite1

Orm I must disagree. The English - and certainly their supporters - may have had that feeling for about 20 years or so after we won the World Cup, but I think reality has hit firmly home and then some in the intervening years. No we do not believe we are in any way as skilful or technical as (many) other countries. And yes a quarter final place in the euros is about as good as it gets....

BTW I cannot see us going for a foreign coach this time around - unless by some miracle we could get "The Special One".

Orm

Post by Orm »

Warspite1

Orm I must disagree. The English - and certainly their supporters - may have had that feeling for about 20 years or so after we won the World Cup, but I think reality has hit firmly home and then some in the intervening years. No we do not believe we are in any way as skilful or technical as (many) other countries. And yes a quarter final place in the euros is about as good as it gets....

BTW I cannot see us going for a foreign coach this time around - unless by some miracle we could get "The Special One".
Yes. You are right. I should have mentioned that is how the English press behave.

Edit: At least the press that gets noticed over here.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I might be booed out of the room, but I have always liked Stuart Pearce...I think he should be given a fair shot....
Orm

Post by Orm »

If, however, England got all things right and play as a team England do have the potential to beat all other teams and be the tournament winners.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I might be booed out of the room, but I have always liked Stuart Pearce...I think he should be given a fair shot....
Warspite1

The jury is out on him as a manager (may be a little too early for him) but as a player? Everyone loved Psycho - who can forget when he scored the penalty against Spain in Euro 96, banishing to memory the miss at Italia 90 [:(]

Would be interesting having him work with 'Arry.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

If, however, England got all things right and play as a team England do have the potential to beat all other teams and be the tournament winners.
Warspite1

Sure - football is a funny game and could England win a tournament? Yes of course. But there is so much pressure, caused by the stupid press.

I am sure you will know the answer better than me, but I think I am right in saying that if Sweden had won their World Cup in 58 (and not come second to Brazil) / or we had come second to Germany in 1966, Sweden's World Cup record would be better than England's.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Warspite1

Sure - football is a funny game and could England win a tournament? Yes of course. But there is so much pressure, caused by the stupid press.

I am sure you will know the answer better than me, but I think I am right in saying that if Sweden had won their World Cup in 58 (and not come second to Brazil) / or we had come second to Germany in 1966, Sweden's World Cup record would be better than England's.
All that I know is that Sweden need to play as a team as well if we ever are going to have a go at a title. And that we need to be able to stop others from bribing the referee. I am still bitter about the 94 World Cup.
parusski

Post by parusski »

Attachments
boredom.jpg
boredom.jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 91 times
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Dennistoun

Post by Dennistoun »

I agree JP! Psycho could be a good bet. He's young, passionate and English - which for me is important. He'll have a great, talented squad of players and could well be a stepping stone towards the top 6 PL clubs in the future.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hardly a surprise. The press must be ecstatic, they've been pushing for him to go for a while despite him being the most successful manager we've had lately (in terms of matches won). [8|] A more sensible question would be who is stupid enough to take the job? After the initial euphoria of taking over they have until the next world cup before they too are deemed unworthy....
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
wodin

Post by wodin »

On the one hand I'm mad eup, on the other I despair. If Harry leaves Spurs for England I cry into my cornflakes, every day for a month.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Warspite1

Yep fair comment - but John Terry only thinks about himself. Can you imagine taking such a dvided squad to a major championships - one lot siding with Terry and the other with Ferdinand (if he's picked). That sort of in-fighting thing is usually the preserve of the Dutch.

For what it's worth:

I don't like the man, he seems to be a fairly unpleasant individual but I've never met him so I could be wrong. He should have done the decent thing and stepped down, but Fabio should at least have been consulted over the decision to strip the captaincy from JT. Not least because (IMO) removing him from the captain's role is in effect deciding he is guilty of the charges against him before the hearing. Surely the central element of our justice system is innocent until proven guilty?
Odd that the same press that were demanding John Terry lose his captain's role due to the alegations were (for the most part) the same ones who were demanding that Harry Redknapp be the next England manager despite him being in court.

Also, JT should not have been in the squad let alone the captain following his press conference in South Africa.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: teddy

I agree JP! Psycho could be a good bet. He's young, passionate and English - which for me is important. He'll have a great, talented squad of players and could well be a stepping stone towards the top 6 PL clubs in the future.

I like Stuart Pearce, but being English and passionate isn't enough to win World Cups. Else we'd be some sort of super team [:D] As for his players, I suspect that they'll fall foul of the usual build up before they fall short of the expectations heaped on their shoulders.

Too often we see the press criticise the current squad for falling short and failing to cope with the expectations of an unrealistic nation. They'll call for youngsters like Wilshere and Hart et al to be given their chance to shine free of the burden of failure that surrounds the current squad, failing to see (or not caring) that they are piling the same expectations on a new generation.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dennistoun

Post by Dennistoun »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

[

I like Stuart Pearce, but being English and passionate isn't enough to win World Cups.
You must admit, it must have been enough in '66.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: teddy

ORIGINAL: Dixie

[

I like Stuart Pearce, but being English and passionate isn't enough to win World Cups.
You must admit, it must have been enough in '66.

1966 is the year that buggered everything up [:D] If it wwasn't for that lot then England could be happy in their mediocrity [;)]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
british exil

Post by british exil »

This is definetly bad news.
Living over here in Germany every 2 years it does tend to be very difficult as a England Supporter. The World Cup in Germany was really bad. Work collegues tend to make life harder after England botch up another campaign.

But now one of the best trainers/managers leaving because of troubles in the team, we're nearly as bad as the French.

I fear a bad Euro 2012!!!!

Warspite please keep us exiles informed.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Return to “General Discussion”