HTTR Arnhem Coup de Main Campaign vs. COHTTR Red Devils Over Arnhem

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

RangerX3X

HTTR Arnhem Coup de Main Campaign vs. COHTTR Red Devils Over Arnhem

Post by RangerX3X »

This is a work-in-progress and I am up to Day 8 12:00 hours:

Comparison

wodin

RE: HTTR Arnhem Coup de Main Campaign vs. COHTTR Red Devils Over Arnhem

Post by wodin »

Do you tick the attack box when issuing the move orders in CotA?

When issuing the move orders in HTTR I'd probably send a probing force first on even issued an attack order rather than a move just in case I ran into the enemy...just wondered what you thinking was to issue the hammer time replacements a move order...

Looks like in CotA the forces are alot slower to get moving..the HTTR game your alot further in and pressing hard where with CotA it looks like you may have stalled abit...thoughts?

Oh great read and very interesting!
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

The armored forces coming from the south were issued move orders initially to the various highway checkpoint objectives with avoidance and bypass selected. The intention was once they were in position, to issue an attack (not a move with attacks selected) into Arnhem. In the original HTTR game, I would just issue move orders at the highway checkpoint objectives, and once in position issue the massive assault into Arnhem.

What crippled me in this game was the Polish 1st Para Brigade arriving on Day 5 (and not on Day 1 as in HTTR). I think this is the biggest reason alone why the armor coming from the south is hampered, because there is nothing to open up the road with before their arrival.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

I've made some progress so a Decisive Defeat may not be the final outcome for the new scenario:

HTTR D08 06:00 - The lead elements of the Arnhem Assault Group have broken through the Axis defenses and have spilled over into Arnhem.

COHTTR D08 06:00 - Using the 69th Infantry Brigade as a brace attack against the Highway Checkpoint 4 objective, I am able to bypass the Irish Guards Group, the 43rd Infantry Division, the Guards Armored Division, the 13/18 Hussars and the 130th Infantry Brigade around the right flank and threaten the Arnhem objectives.

The cummulative post has also been updated.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

HTTR D08 12:00 - The push into Arnhem across the heavy road bridge has succeeded and the Arnhem Assault Group has achieved the Arnhem Highway Bridge North Objective. The area is surprisingly barren of Axis units who are split up in their focus on multiple objectives.

COHTTR D08 12:00 - The equivalent of a heavily reinforced battalion sitting outside of Huissen is causing some delay with the 214th Infantry Brigade, the Guards Armored Division and the 13/18 Hussars however I am not inclined to issue and modifications to the existing orders for these units as time is of the upmost essence.

RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

HTTR D08 18:00 - Elements of the 1st Airborne Division HQ move into the Oosterbeek area are encountering heavy enemy activity along the railway line. I should have brought up the 1st Airborne Recce Squadron to reconnoiter the area before committing my troopers to crossing that area. It would prove costly and result in my having to abandon a key element of my plan.

COHTTR D08 18:00 - Present orders that have been issued throughout the past few days for a last-ditch push into Arnhem. The remains of the 1st Airborne Division situated NW of Oosterbeek had their orders issued a day before with a jumping off time of D08 21:00.

Return to “After Action Reports”