Will you keep playing after this patch?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Farfarer61

Will you keep playing after this patch?

Post by Farfarer61 »

Frack yes! Regardless of effect! I relish the in-game perturbations, and having the privilege of being on the 'evaluating edge'. I am not Hitler or Stalin and want to able to completely change history within the technical abilities (only) of my forces and war economy. The designers and devs are responsible for the size of the virtual box. It is the attractiveness of how well the latitude vs realism is crafted that determines the success of the game.
76mm

RE: Will you keep playing after this patch?

Post by 76mm »

I think I'm ready to put this game down for a year or two, if not forever, until they stop introducing patches that require people to abandon existing games. I'm not very interested in playing 1941 over and over again before having to abandon games because they are still fixing balance issues.
Truppenstab

Post by Truppenstab »

I think that these patches are just a natural progression of the game, and their effects will not be fully understood for weeks, maybe even months. But with most improvements, or alterations to programs, you can't please all the users. I will continue my AI game for now, and will even consider starting a pbem game soon, as I have spent over a year now learning this beautiful game. [&o]
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Yes, but my game as the Soviets in April '42 is almost certainly going to have to be restarted.

Its just the wrong time of the game for a major change like this.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Definitely! Most of changes will not affect my current Axis campaign. If I was playing as the Soviets I would probably restart.
I have restarted many campaigns since this game came out and I am already well past some of the time frame for the major Axis changes.

This game just gets better and better with each patch....[:)]
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
..., until they stop introducing patches that require people to abandon existing games....

Nobody is requiring any such thing. Just keep playing your current game. These patchs are fine tuning, not major system changes, so there is no reason you can't just continue current games.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I think we ought to be a little more sympathetic to players in 76mm situation than that. Having your entire army become overloaded as a result of a patch is a big pill to swallow. Not just a little overloaded, either.
WitE Alpha Tester
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: elmo3
These patchs are fine tuning, not major system changes, so there is no reason you can't just continue current games.

Sorry, I don't think you know what you are talking about, and don't tell me about patches, because I know all about them--this game has been going since version 1.0, and has continued through all of the patches.

In this case, supposedly keeping HQs from being overloaded is one of the most important aspects of the game, and now my entire army consists of dozens of army HQs with 27-30 CPs, when the new CP cap is 18. I'd call that a major change, which would take me the rest of the war to fix.

I kept playing after they nerfed the 1:1->2:1 rule, which was also not exactly "fine tuning", although that nerf came just as I was starting an offensive against massive German forts which meant that I had to wait about six more months to build up my army to attack. No problem...

Now this...I'm not even complaining about the substance of the patches, I don't really care that much either way, but the way that they are introduced is simply unacceptable--the devs obviously don't care about the time players have invested into ongoing games. This change has obviously been in the works for months, and yet they did not bother to tell players what might be coming down the pike, so that they would not increase the size of their armies, as I have been doing. Just completely unacceptable in my view, I'm not a freaking beta tester that expects to restart games everytime a new patch comes in.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

All players have a simple choice - they can still continue to play the current games using old EXE (with old rules) or they can upgrade to new EXE (with new rules)!

It is as simple as that and there is no pressure whatsoever to migrate old(er) and currently running games to new EXE (with new rules)...

Who says that you can't have newest WitE v1.05.59 and older WitE v1.05.53 at the same time

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

It's tough to change in 1943; all those Corps will result in a big AP expenditure. 76mm has a point on that one.

In 1942, though, it's not too bad, if you haven't gone nuts on Corps creation, which you shouldn't. I am working on my game with Baelfiin right now, and I think it will cost me 200 APs or so. Inconvenient, but not the end of the game.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: elmo3
These patchs are fine tuning, not major system changes, so there is no reason you can't just continue current games.

Sorry, I don't think you know what you are talking about, and don't tell me about patches, because I know all about them--this game has been going since version 1.0, and has continued through all of the patches.

Perhaps I was unclear. I'm saying that there is no reason to use this patch if you don't want to. There are no major changes to game mechanics like a logistics rewrite, new air model, etc. So you can keep going with your current game with whatever update you are currently using. This is a beta patch for people who want to test it with their current games. If you don't want to do that, then don't, just keep playing your current game with your current version. Clear?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

I keep my Sov armies overloaded, now they are way overloaded. Oh well, good fun. Fortunately the spring 43 mud hit so there will be time for some initial re-adjustment.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

I haven't played to much lately, though I've been reading the forums to keep informed. In one forum there are complaints that the developer doesn't support the game. Here you read that the developer is in essence over supporting the game with too many patches. Damned if you do or don't. What a fickle bunch of old ladies... [:D]
Mark
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

It may indeed be best for games advanced into 1943 to take a pass on the beta.
WitE Alpha Tester
juret

Post by juret »

yes i will keep playing. For the moment i play 2 games as axis one in late 43 and one in summer 44. The changes for these games for me are just positive. But i am sure the soviet players will feel the changes are very negative.

The summer 44 game are just in a critical point where hes trying to force hes way over dnepr and axis are fighting hard to defend all rivers and delay the red waves untill mud hits.

When he gets 35 overloaded army headquarters he will get angry. altough i am sure he got lots of AP saved up couse he got 8m+ at arms and cant field much more without massive front overloads. They just need to use time to re arrange the CCC of the red army.

I had my fun and wanna keep playing to defend the areas i have taken of em :)
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Some will keep playing, many have quit.

If you been on these forums any length of time there is a long list of poeple who like 76mm are tired of the game changing patches that wildly swing from one side to the other and hurt many games started from the the patch before the latest patch.

Some like 76mm have set the game down and might return, but as any dev knows that % is very small.

Others like myself will keep on plugging along tring to point out errors,bugs and bias.

The game is fun an complex, just when you thk you have if figured out your slammed with the next earth quake of a patch.

This is the natrual order of things in the gaming world today, when a game is basicly beta tested on the player base.

Most games are far from completed when they are released and take 1 to 3 yrs to get "right". Most crash and burn and never get finished.

The bottom line is money.

The changes have to be supported by the player base or the cash flow dyes up and the game and company die off.

I am going to keep playing and keep tring to keep 2by3 from killing off the player base.

Customer relations seem to be basicly, "If you don't like it screw off."

I am kinda thinking thats a shitty approach to customer relations.

Thats a standard approach for fanboys, not sales people who are tring to generate sales for the next million dollar project that will keep the company from going under.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
JKLilly

Post by JKLilly »

Seems to me that unexpected changes in the evolving game just require me to adjust. If you're not too focused on winning or losing its all good.

I would like a patch that would stop Farfarer from invading me by sea.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

After thinking about it, sod it!

I'll keep my April 1942 Soviet game going, I'm sure my opponent will kill all my extra divisions off quickly enough anyway!
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

1.) Some will keep playing, many have quit.

2.) I am going to keep playing and keep tring to keep 2by3 from killing off the player base.

3.) Customer relations seem to be basicly, "If you don't like it screw off."

I am kinda thinking thats a shitty approach to customer relations.

Thats a standard approach for fanboys, not sales people who are tring to generate sales for the next million dollar project that will keep the company from going under.

Pelton

[:D]

1.) Wow. I never knew you had such access to customer records and especially the 10x number of players who don't post on here. I thank you for the insight. UN-SUBSTANTIATED

2.) As mentioned before Pelton you have made some good comments in the past but your current approach is to post un-substantiated, vitriolic and troll like comments are far more detrimental than beneficial.

3.) You really think it's valid and within forum rules to post these kind of comments?!?[X(][8|]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

@Pelton

To me it seems like it you're goal to have them go under. Really... how many companies are out there making a game that covers the entire Russo-German war, as far as I know 2by3 is the only one. And all you do is personally attack them and accuse them of being greedy money hungry individuals for making the game. I am sure that anyone thinking about making a War in the East game would think twice about making one after being on these forums.

Way to go Pelton.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”