Couple of questions re. the Editor

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Javolenus

Couple of questions re. the Editor

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There,

I bought ATG quite a while ago but gave up on it because I couldn't make sense of the editor. But, having tried other games, I realise that ATG is actually a brilliant game and very close to my ideal wargame. And so I have come back to ATG. But I still have problems with the editor. Here are a couple of questions:

1. How can I make it so that the random scenario maker will load a custom set of place names, which will appear randomly on the map? I like to play with names that are either Classical (e.g. Roman/Greek) or NATO (Alpha, Bravo etc.).

2. How can I rename villages, towns, cities in a random-generated scenario or in a new scenario that I make from scratch?

3. If I create "regimes" in the scenario editor, how can I give them a "character" like German or Japanese or American etc?

4. How can I make new regimes with customised character--i.e. how do I make my own "peoples" and give them attributes?

I hope these questions make sense. Basically, I want to be able to create a customised world (map, terrain, place names, factions/regimes) and have the option to play different random scenarios with these customised parameters.

Thanks in advance for help and sorry if questions are covered elsewhere.
CSO_Talorgan

RE: Couple of questions re. the Editor

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

The editor manual should be a priority.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

The editor manual should be a priority.

I agree. There are parts of the editor that i don´t know, and wouldn´t know how to use too.

What I´ve done is basically picked up what I could here and there, and then moved on from that. Some things are pretty straight forward if you want to do them. Placing units on a map, making a map for instance is easy. Doing a masterfile, i don´t know, I never have done it. Event coding is something you can get used to, but requires some reading and planning to do good. ... and i could go on and on...

The problem with the editor is that its easier to explain what it can´t do, than what you could make it do.

Sometimes I will think something is impossible, only to find a way to do it a few days afterwards. I´d say if any one person should write the editor manual it should be Tweber or Vic. Really admire their work.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I´d say if any one person should write the editor manual it should be Tweber or Vic.

Should tutorials be written by the real experts or by the fellow-numptie who knows just a bit more than me?

The problem with manuals, tutorials and guides written by the real experts is that they operate on such a higher level that they cannot conceive of the difficulties that we mere mortals struggle with. It is so long since they knew as little as us that they can't remember what it was like to be so thick, can't remember what the obstacles were, and therefore gloss over areas that hold us up.

One way or another though "ATG for Dummies" needs to be written and the (modular) wiki format is a good basis.
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Of course the other possibility is the tutorial video. Are there any?

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”