Why is this game selling for $50?

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

cherryfunk

Why is this game selling for $50?

Post by cherryfunk »

Never heard of Forge of Freedom before; I was researching AGEOD titles and saw this as a competing Civil War product. Then I saw it has detailed turn-based battles and I'm all 'sold!' That's my kind of game.

Come here and see it's still selling for $50. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the basic argument: niche product, wargamers expect to pay more, developers don't sell enough copies and have to maximize profits etc. and so on. I paid $80 for War in the East, I have no problem paying more for good wargames.

But this game came out in 2006. Six years ago. You're still selling it at full price? Isn't that kind of, well, delusional?

At $20, I'd have already bought it. At $50, you're just insulting me, and, sorry, no sale.

(For what it's worth, AGEOD's American Civil War sells for $20. They just got the money I was planning to send your way.)

GenChaos33

RE: Why is this game selling for $50?

Post by GenChaos33 »

Well, I think its good game and worth the money. But I understand your point. I suggest waiting for the next Matrix sale. I don't know when that is thou. Too bad you just missed the Holiday sale. The game was 32% off ($16 off).

tm.asp?m=2957493
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

I hope you didn't say that WITE is a good game and worth the $80.  I have had that beta game for a year and it is a terrible game.  As much as I want to like it it is insulting to anyone who is expecting a eastern front simulation.  You could call it a good "game", but by no means call it a historically believable simulation of fighting on the eastern front.

I would by this if it was $20 OR $25.
TR

Post by TR »

It's interesting how prices go up but salary doen't. I do hope for a middle of the year sale. Unfortunately, end of year holiday sales come at a bad time, with Xmas and all.
Southpaw Samurai

Post by Southpaw Samurai »

Is it worth $50 today? Let me put it this way: I bought a physical copy of this game ages ago and recently have had an itching to play it again (it's one of those rare games you can keep coming back to), but can't find my media anymore. Even at $50, I am VERY tempted to just buy it again, that's how good it is. It's easily among my top three favorite Civil War games (the others being the old Sid Meier's Gettysburg series and the Take Command/Scourge of War series) and it's the only one of the three that provides both an accessible and fun operational/strategic level AND enjoyable tactical level.

That said, I wonder if Matrix Games has considered the profit per unit sold when it comes to games like this. At $20-30, I'd recommend this game to just about everyone I know who has ever spent fifteen minutes watching a Civil War documentary with any level of interest. At $50-60, I have only whole heartedly recommended it to one person I knew who enjoys grand strategy/war games. At this stage of FoF's lifespan, one would think that selling three or four times the copies at half the price would bring in more money in the long run.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

First, I'd like to see all games being sold at a lower price.

As far as FOF goes, one of the "problems" may be that it really is not a game for everybody. It takes a long time to play, has a pretty significant learning curve, and is rather complicated and detailed for the average player. So while lowering the price may sell a few more copies, it could be hard to sell enough to make it more profitable.

I don't know what Brother against Brother will sell for when it is released but it may have a chance at a larger potential market as it concentrates on the battles leaving the operational/strategic play issues behind. Even then it is not going to be for the beer and pretzel gamer as it will have quite a few improvements and innovative tactical issues making it more involved. While based on the FOF battle system, it appears to be a step up that makes for a possible must have for Civil War enthusiasts.

You are correct about the price of games in general. I certainly have avoided many games because of the issue. Once a game crosses the $30 mark I pay more attention and only buy if convinced it is worth the money. Once the game crosses the $50 mark I am unlikely to buy unless I see it as one of those absoultely must have games because of topic and style that match my personal preference.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

+1 Yogi
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I have never understood why people like this game so much. I find the strategic n ops level in the eastern theatre completely boring and really very little to do. No maneuvering or planning of any kind required.
No problem Chief!
jaxpac

Post by jaxpac »

If the game was priced like any other game from 2006 I would have bought it already as well. It's good to see that people still enjoy the game, but you're not maximizing profits by selling the game at such high prices. It's a problem with a lot of games on this site. It's as if they don't want to sell games and build up a fanbase. Old games should be used to bring people into the genre, get people interested in your company, and try to build up your customer base. The way games are currently priced you can never expand beyond the hardcore niche maket. Strange business decision by whoever prices these things.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: RCH

I hope you didn't say that WITE is a good game and worth the $80.  I have had that beta game for a year and it is a terrible game.  As much as I want to like it it is insulting to anyone who is expecting a eastern front simulation.  You could call it a good "game", but by no means call it a historically believable simulation of fighting on the eastern front.

I would by this if it was $20 OR $25.

*coughs* ... Yep ... WitE should have been a WeGo system. Not worth $80.
Capt. Cliff
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

WITE is worth the $80...easily. Not sure what you guys were smoking! FoF is a great game as well.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Willderyes

Post by Willderyes »

I'm not so worried about the $50 as I am in getting what I want for that $50. I've been thinking about buying it, but I kind of like playing with the actual units that were involve. I'm a purist I guess and like to see the 101st N.H come up against the 37th S.C. (don't nail me on those actual units, it's just an example). Just seeing 1st Div., 2nd Div, 3rd Rgt, 4th Rgt, etc seems to take away the historical aroma. Does this game just us generic unit designations or does it use historical units?

I to have been hooked on the American Civil War since AH Gettysburg. Now that I am retired I have all the time in the world to PLAY!
A plan is only good until I wake up in the morning.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

have you got a copy of Brother against Brother yet then?

tt.asp?forumid=808

watch some video or a twitch feed first

tm.asp?m=3844058

then some AAR's

tt.asp?forumid=1487

so try almost before you buy, and i'm sure you will love it
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Willderyes

Post by Willderyes »

I've been looking at BAB. Some of the others look soooo complicated like FOF:TACW. Man that could take days just for a couple of turns.

I real do appreciate your help!
A plan is only good until I wake up in the morning.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”