What do you make of this

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

What do you make of this

Post by Chris21wen »

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Woleai at 101,103

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 31
H8K2-L Emily x 16

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 4
F4U-1A Corsair x 7
F4U-1D Corsair x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 20 destroyed
H8K2-L Emily: 6 destroyed

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
PT-231, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-227, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-255, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-225, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-187, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-233, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-228, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-229, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-230, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
PT-226, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x G4M2 Betty flying as kamikaze
Kamikaze: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
10 x H8K2-L Emily flying as kamikaze

CAP engaged:
VF-17 with F4U-1D Corsair (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(6 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 18000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 57 minutes
VMF-441 with F4U-1A Corsair (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Raid is overhead
No.17 Sqn RNZAF with F4U-1D Corsair (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Raid is overhead
castor troy

RE: What do you make of this

Post by castor troy »

a) a waste of aircraft and b) those bombers would not be able to hit a fast moving PT
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Emily Kamis??? Crashing into PT boats?!?! Oo WTF! Serious stuff man, serious stuff.

The rest of the story is somewhere in the realm of 7 minutes time to target.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: castor troy
those bombers would not be able to hit a fast moving PT

In case they were static the Emilys could try to hit the PT´s by landing on the water
and driving on top of em. [:D][:D][:D]
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

those bombers would not be able to hit a fast moving PT

In case they were static the Emilys could try to hit the PT´s by landing on the water
and driving on top of em. [:D][:D][:D]

[:D]
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Or just land on the water and shoot them with the on-board machine guns and cannons... Lol.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Raming Speed!! Bowling for PT boats [:D]
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Miller

Post by Miller »

Hey, at least they attacked ships. I will never forget one turn in the original WITP whereby I had 200 Kamis crash into a Chinese base.
pauk

Post by pauk »

a) a waste of aircraft and

In fact that is old and well known bug. But AE gods didnt touch this for a years. But at the other hand they have no problem with taking (your) money [:D]

hey mate, you re getting idea why im saying "what im saying"?

they included even a swagger stick for the commonwealth army but they didnt bother to fix such bugs, including inital attack on PH where mostly attack doesnt result with even a single one BB sunk. There are many examples like this one, not to mention "4E combat model"..

[:'(][:D][:'(]
Miller

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: pauk

In fact that is old and well known bug. But AE gods didnt touch this for a years. But at the other hand they have no problem with taking (your) money [:D]

they included even a swagger stick for the commonwealth army but they didnt bother to fix such bugs, including inital attack on PH where mostly attack doesnt result with even a single one BB sunk. There are many examples like this one, not to mention "4E combat model"..

Well going off most of the AARs I have read, two or more BBs are usually lost in the PH attacks[&:] Or are you referring to the original WITP?
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Miller check out my AAR's 2 first pages. [;)][:D]
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: Miller

Well going off most of the AARs I have read, two or more BBs are usually lost in the PH attacks[&:] Or are you referring to the original WITP?

Well I've started 5 PBEM games as Japan, and my best PH score is 2 BBs sunk (once), usually it have been 0 or 1 BB sunk.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

And if you want to you can sink 6. Easily put, the IJN has the possibility to hang around a week and have hundreds of Kate sorties to sink each and every ship in PH's harbour. How long does it actually take until KB runs out of sorties? It takes forever if the IJ commander isn't crazy enough to use Vals all the time together with the Kates. Knock out the airfield, then kill the BBs at will. After 400 Kate sorties, how many BBs are left then? It's the IJN that gets BB killing bombs, not the Allied. And seriously, if you go for the airfield on day one, then there is just nothing the IJN has to worry about, there is nothing on Hawaii that could hit a moving ship, the chance to see that is as high as having two carriers collide during movement.
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

And if you want to you can sink 6. Easily put, the IJN has the possibility to hang around a week and have hundreds of Kate sorties to sink each and every ship in PH's harbour. How long does it actually take until KB runs out of sorties? It takes forever if the IJ commander isn't crazy enough to use Vals all the time together with the Kates. Knock out the airfield, then kill the BBs at will. After 400 Kate sorties, how many BBs are left then? It's the IJN that gets BB killing bombs, not the Allied. And seriously, if you go for the airfield on day one, then there is just nothing the IJN has to worry about, there is nothing on Hawaii that could hit a moving ship, the chance to see that is as high as having two carriers collide during movement.

After 3 days and 308 B5N sorties exactly 0 BBs and 0 other ships down with 6 torpedo hits on BBs(torp hits from all days). As I said above, see the first page of my AAR.... [:'(]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Looks like something michealm needs to look into...kami's should not be attacking PTs. Looks like an easy thing to exploit on the allied side.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Puhis

ORIGINAL: Miller

Well I've started 5 PBEM games as Japan, and my best PH score is 2 BBs sunk (once), usually it have been 0 or 1 BB sunk.

I recently started a new Ironman Japan v3 scenario.

I ran the first turn 10 times before I got a decent enough start for the Japanese to be worth playing on.

However, 7 out of 10 results delivered 2 BBs sunk ( I just don't consider that a good enough start to play on).

I result delivered 1 BB sunk. 1 result delivered 0 BBs sunk.

I finally got a 7 BBs sunk result on the 10th iteration and decided to play that one out.
Hans

Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Just for the record...

AE does NOT pre-script battle results. If you want specific (historical?) results, use a scenario that starts after that battle ends.

For ALL combat there is a high use of random. This means that any outcome is possible. Trying to apply historical results to any specific game battle is a complete waste of time.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Not necessarily a scripted outcome, I'd rather have a less predictable outcome. Right now, the average result is pretty historical, though exact ships lost may not match history. A little more randomness wouldn't be a bad thing.

As it stands, if you start the Dec 7 grand campaign, you can pretty well count on 0-2 BBs sunk (unless there are criticals). While in truth only Arizona was a total loss. Oklahoma was lost while being towed back to the mainland after having been righted and raised. The 0-2 loss is pretty accurate.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Erkki

After 3 days and 308 B5N sorties exactly 0 BBs and 0 other ships down with 6 torpedo hits on BBs(torp hits from all days). As I said above, see the first page of my AAR.... [:'(]

must have been more than bad luck, I would bet this won't happen in 9 out of 10 times.

My game vs. mortar showed 14 torp hits the first round only and I don't consider this a lot. In my game against 1eyedjacks he scored something like two dozen torp hits the first day alone. And then there are the unlimited number of 800kg bombs. I just can't believe I wouldn't be able to sink a couple of BB if I stick around long enough if there isn't something really exceptionell happening.

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 1,100 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 68
B5N2 Kate x 144
D3A1 Val x 126

Allied aircraft

no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 11 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 7 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 19 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
B-18A Bolo: 53 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 4 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 53 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 3 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 162 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 6 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 14 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 4 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 85 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 4 destroyed on ground
C-33: 2 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 28 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 4 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 13 damaged
F4F-3 Wildcat: 10 damaged
F4F-3 Wildcat: 3 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 9 damaged
O-47A: 2 destroyed on ground
P-36A Mohawk: 16 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed on ground
R3D-2: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 10, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 7, on fire
CM Oglala
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AV Tangier
DM Pruitt
DM Montgomery
AV Wright
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 8, heavy fires
DD Tucker, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
BB California, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PT-28, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA San Francisco, Torpedo hits 1
xAK Florence D., Bomb hits 1, on fire

edit: I do count 9 torp hits the first round in your game though. Unfortunately your cr doesn't show the weather nor what the bombers are attack or from with alt they bomb but you don't seem to be even getting a 10% hit rate from your Kates if they actually attack the ships in port and not something else. Your Kates must be quite unique with such a hit rate.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Just for the record...

AE does NOT pre-script battle results. If you want specific (historical?) results, use a scenario that starts after that battle ends.

For ALL combat there is a high use of random. This means that any outcome is possible. Trying to apply historical results to any specific game battle is a complete waste of time.

This.

Actually, in another thread I noticed many players want both, history recreated and fair results.
Could be a contradiction, what do I know...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”