Starting from scratch/zero/nada

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

nukkxx5058

Starting from scratch/zero/nada

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi, I would like to start a new game from absolutely nothing. I'd like just one colony and nothing already built. Unfortunately, when creating a new game it starts with 3 construction ships [STATE], mining stations, exploration ship [STATE] etc.. Is it possible to tart from absolute scratch ?
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
adecoy95

RE: Starting from scratch/zero/nada

Post by adecoy95 »

you cant, the game physically cannot function without the ability to use your civilian ships to go get the resources you need to power and construct your ships.

but if you want to try it (you might get lucky i suppose), the game editor is your best bet, it should be able to delete things.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

Wrong if you open the editor and delete everything you still got the starting ressource since the planet shares the store with the station. Therefore you can then start to build a space statio by planet effort and building ships and start form there. But since you build much at start, you quickly need to find carbon fibre and polymer. They will drain quicker...
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Wrong if you open the editor and delete everything you still got the starting ressource since the planet shares the store with the station. Therefore you can then start to build a space statio by planet effort and building ships and start form there. But since you build much at start, you quickly need to find carbon fibre and polymer. They will drain quicker...

note he also said delete his mining stations. if you play a race that needs those stations for steel, your in big trouble
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

note he also said delete his mining stations. if you play a race that needs those stations for steel, your in big trouble

Yes but it should be for all empires in the game so that we all start equal from scratch.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

Yes but it should be for all empires in the game so that we all start equal from scratch.

this would probably be a really boring game, i don't think the AI would be able to handle all of its stuff getting deleted.

BUT, now that you know how, give it a try, let us know how it turns out?
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

You can, but its depend on your popluation, income and resources. I cant say what the formlua is, but the AIs is rather silly. If you are making new colony of your own without any ships or bases (included mines) your population should be 1,500m at the minimum and planet quality higher than 50%. The starport must be built before any civilian ships can be constructed.

I did the samn thing as well, random game til i happy with starting location of my system map, usually on the far bottom right hand corner. Then, i goto editor and renamed the system as i wishes. I also deleted all the ships and bases and leave the planet as it is, beside if you alter the planet, you will get glitch for culture or development rating, it wont accept the input you enter. Then i save the game, alter the prototype for all ships (deleted them all) and make my own.

There no point having so many freighters at the beginning, included passenger ships. Start small then work you way up, if you colonize another planet, it will add more civilian ships included passengers. The more mines you make also increases the freighter outputs.

Good luck whatever you are doing :)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

The problem is that I have no idea how the editor works and I am not very keen to spend time learning it ...  [:(] [&:] [:-] [8|]
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

Erase part to erase and add part for adding. The editor is so simple a 10-year old can manage it. Sadly it is limited in that regard too.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Erase part to erase and add part for adding. The editor is so simple a 10-year old can manage it. Sadly it is limited in that regard too.

Oh ho ... I will certainly have a look. Was used to over-complex-rocket-science-C++-geeks editors ...
jalapen0

Post by jalapen0 »

A pre-warp start would be pretty cool. Game would need some work to make it possible though. Perhaps very small amounts of needed resources on the home planet would help. Enough to matter when starting out, but once your empire is bigger, it won't be enough to help.

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: jalapen0

A pre-warp start would be pretty cool.

Sure ! It's my dream ...
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

ORIGINAL: jalapen0

A pre-warp start...

Sadly impossible, since the game DEMANDS a hyperdrive to be installed.

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

So back to my concern. What is the exact procedure?

1- create a regular game
2- at the very begining pause the game and open the editor screen.
3- Delete everything
4- release the pause and play

Is that the correct procedure ?
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

The editor is very simple.

Use the eraser function till you are happy.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Should I do that for all empires (I have 12 empires) ? And this will reveal me the location of all of them.
jalapen0

Post by jalapen0 »

Yea a prewarp start would have to be a dev added feature, not a modded added one.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Should I do that for all empires (I have 12 empires) ? And this will reveal me the location of all of them.

Becareful deleting the empires or they will never work correctly, first thing is when you working on this specific empire or faction, have a starting place where you want them and make it a capitol then delete the previous one. I done this few times and didnt work out right, so this only way to make it work.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

You will know obviously, but they will not be 'explored' in game and any trace of them will disappear shortly. It can take a little while for their spheres of influence to stop showing on the map(s). Seeing as they are not explored you will not be able to do diplomacy with them or trade, etc. Just try your best not to use the foreknowledge to your advantage. [:)]

(Alternatively you could go through and give all empires exploration knowledge of everybodys start location but I think this breaks the theme you want to work with.)

p.s. If you do end up playing a game like this let us know how it pans out (especially the start). Sounds like something I might like to try sometime.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

With 12 Empires there are too many items to delete. I alreday erased 2 planets by mistake and didn't find a undo button ! I'm afraid I will have to wait that a kind modder will prepare (and test) this "blank sheet" :-) 

Regarding pre-warp start I will post in the master wishlist. :-)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”