Gamers Generation.....

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Footslogger

Gamers Generation.....

Post by Footslogger »

We are literally the first generation of gamers. I have been playing computer games for 30 years. How about you?
Phatguy

RE: Gamers Generation.....

Post by Phatguy »

I did have one of those mail order kits in '78 or '79 but it worked for about 2 hours before it burned up. Im bad with electrical items...hehehe. Used a trs-80(i think) back in middle school and played something akin to flight sim and a star trek game. All lines and a cassette to boot.It was something like 1980 or so.....I hated(despised might be a better word) computers in college back in the dark ages even though I had a IBM machine......I attempted to play MUDS and failed. Loved the original sim city and a football game which i cant remember the name of on a Mac. Learned Fortran but promptly forgot it.Then denied the existance of computers till Nov 93 when I was home after a nice long stay in the hospital. The old man bought two computers and gave me one and told me to figure it out. Since then i've been making up for lost time...lol

So roughly 30 + years....Jeez i'm an old geezer....
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Probably almost as long as you - albeit with a big break. Started with the Sinclair Spectrum in the early eighties (played Desert Rats a lot) but did not actually get a Personal Computer until 1996! Soon thereafter I got into Civilisation II and Battleground Waterloo and have not really looked back from then.

I actually buy and play very few games, but those I do get into certainly provide value for money! Currently Civ IV, Rome Total War and I have dabled in WITPAE and WITE.

Wargames aside we have a Wii which provides good, clean family fun from time to time.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Even though I attempted to play some of those early computer games I found them to be very boring. Back then it was a great time to be a board wargamer. We were crawling out the woodwork and it was so easy to find a opponent. Not like now.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Agreed, although I remember thinking Desert Rats was sooo cool at the time. I was more of a board gamer back then too - Avalon Hill's Bismarck got me properly into the genre.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I'm a gamer since 1990. My first game was Commando on Commodore 64.
wodin

Post by wodin »

BBC B 32k 1983/84. Followed by Amstrad 464, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Sony PS1 (yeah I know), PC.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Atari 800 was my first rig. The computer, modem, modem interface, printer and disk drive were well over $2500 US pre-1980 dollars. All that for a mere 48K RAM computing power.

Sid Meier's Hellcat Ace, all SSI and some Avalon Hill games were gobbled up with enthusiasm. Wow what an era.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Commodore 128, think my most played game in those days were "Wizards of War", "International karate", "Winter/Summer/California games" and "Defender of the Crown".

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: ravincravin

Atari 800 was my first rig. The computer, modem, modem interface, printer and disk drive were well over $2500 US pre-1980 dollars. All that for a mere 48K RAM computing power.

Sid Meier's Hellcat Ace, all SSI and some Avalon Hill games were gobbled up with enthusiasm. Wow what an era.

A whole whopping 48K? I think my first had either 8 or 16k....you must have been one of the elite..lol
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I am probably a relative latecomer to computer gaming. I did not have my own PC until 1998! My first computer games were the Talonsoft Battleground games, Sid Meier's Gettysburg ... and Age of Rifles - which was an old game even then.

I'm not a newcomer to wargames in general though. I was playing with miniatures and board games back in the '70s.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Agreed, although I remember thinking Desert Rats was sooo cool at the time. I was more of a board gamer back then too - Avalon Hill's Bismarck got me properly into the genre.

Back then there was no comparison graphics-wise.......

But the amazing things programmers could do with what they had..just wow....
wodin

Post by wodin »

^thats what I think also. How come we have so much power these days and yet have our wargames really improved in relation?
I don't think so. Which then makes me wonder where is it going worng. Are the programming languages not being refined the way they used to be as new ones come along and PC 's increase in power so there is no need to refine code etc etc. So we never really get the most out of the power we have at our disposal.
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Commodore 128, think my most played game in those days were "Wizards of War", "International karate", "Winter/Summer/California games" and "Defender of the Crown".

Terje

I had the same computer. Europe Ablaze, Decision in the Desert, Carriers at War, Panzer Battles, etc. I spent hours everyday playing these games.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

1982; Wizardry on an Apple I was my first PC game experience. Before that was Defender on its own console.
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

I'm the lost generation of the Martial Law in Poland, so my gaming experience started in the second half of '80, but for many more years I've been playing board games.
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

Started playing games around 1994-1995 (just before Windows 95). Didn't have money to have a computer before (born 1971).
martok

Post by martok »

Similar to Anguille, I started getting into PC games in the early/mid-90's (born in 1976). 

It all started my sophomore year in high school, when my best friend showed me this little game called Castles II on his computer.  [8D] 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Not me.  Been boardgaming since 78 and computers since 2000.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Atari VC 2600 when I was a kid, C64 with a bunch of cracked stuff in the mid 80's. But those arcade titles weren't my cup of tea. My real gaming career started with Loom from LucasArts on a PC AT 286 in 1990.

Return to “General Discussion”