Will PC 2 be based on PG 2 ?

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

PKH

Will PC 2 be based on PG 2 ?

Post by PKH »

As this is a remake of Panzer General, will the next be based on PG 2 ?
Lord Zimoa

RE: Will PC 2 be based on PG 2 ?

Post by Lord Zimoa »

We have plans, but what it will be, is way too early to reveal or discuss at this point in time, for now we concentrate on supporting, patching, improving, porting and adding more content to Panzer Corps.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: PKH

As this is a remake of Panzer General, will the next be based on PG 2 ?
I hope not. I hated the isometric view.
Rudankort

Post by Rudankort »

As Tim said, it is way to early to discuss PzC2, but I don't think it will be like PG2. While designing PzC we looked at both games (and other games in 5-star general series too), and features which we liked in PG2 have already made it into the game. As for features which were not adopted from PG2, there were reasons why not. So more likely, PzC2, if it ever appears, will be a development of the first game.
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

I think I would like to see an Allied General like they had. As much fun as PG is, I still prefer playing campaigns as the allies. (Have a problem playing as a German since I am Polish)
misesfan

Post by misesfan »

I liked leaders with unique traits in PG2.  I know the leaders are in PC - but the unique traits ("pairing your "Dogfighter" leader with the best airplane prestige can buy) were pretty cool.  Gave each unit more personality, maybe?
PKH

Post by PKH »

I've tried a bit of PG3 Scorched Earth lately, and I like the more phased turns where you can move and shoot several times with each unit per turn. It makes more sense to me, than that you can drive many kilometers but only shoot once. Also infantry supporting tanks let's tanks avoid using close defense when attacking cities etc. The user interface and controls are pretty bad though imo, and the missions where you have to find and destroy x specific units are beyond horrible and kills it for me.
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

There is a group out there that does further campaigns and tweaks for PGIII. Not sure I'm allowed to post links to other sites. So just search. They do a lot of mods for PG2.
oldguy

REALLY?

Post by oldguy »

Come on $40.00 for this? OMG dragging out old microprose games as I type this....Which one to remake!! A minor remake of PG and you have fanbois drooling to pay for it. Plus $5 add on for each year?? Really?? Guys wake up!! Go to OpenPanzerGeneral its free, its updated weekly.... and you can have actual input... with the dev. Wow Matrix really???
HansHafen

RE: REALLY?

Post by HansHafen »

Hehehe, need to change your name to old grumpy guy! Don't you have anything better to do than worry how I spend my money? Thanks for contributing.
oldguy

Post by oldguy »

We will never see improvements to these games if your so willing to spend $40.00 for a retread of a 15 year old DOS game. Look at Gary Grisby... I have played his games since his SSI days and they really are remakes, reworks with little real new inovations. They look and feel like DOS games. Sure Sure... they hipe all the new features but in the end they all play the same. And you keep forking over your cash. In your mind you believe its shiney and new but in reality u have War in Russia over and over with new maps.

My point is stop buying the retread crap and force these "Developers" to actually have to improve the product.

Wargaming hasn`t improved in 15 years... no reason to right? Want Graphics.... lol what are you crazy?? Wargames can`t have graphics.. it costs too much!! You want sound?? OMG Surroundsound wat? Cost too much... You want an AI? What you want a real challenge? and plus we just let the AI cheat....OBOY we account for every rifle and every AT gun but its all under the hood... wink wink Heard it all before!
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

Fair points to an extent. What innovations do you suggest? Is there nothing innovative out there for you? Anything make you happy?

I still play PGIII SE and still love it. I even like to play PG still.

I think everyone at Matrix & Slitherine was pretty upfront about what you would get in this game. I don't think anyone with their eyes open can claim they were surprised by the final product.

GG did World at War, that was pretty different from his other games to my knowledge.

Panzer Commander is a 3D game with some real big differences from normal wargames.

Steel Panthers was diferent when it came out.

I think many designers have been making some advances. Maybe not quick enough, but he, go tell them!

What do you want?

Make a list.

Do it with a little respect maybe?

You get more bees with honey than vinegar!
pcpilot

Post by pcpilot »

Quite frankly, Im enjoying the daylights outta PzC. It is a HUGE improvement I think over the old PG2. Whats wrong with the occasional "retro" leaning game. I also bought the Campaign Series as that was also one of my old favorites. Loved East Front! I was pleased to see both these games updated to run on newer operating systems, etc. New units were added, improvements in graphics and AI, etc. I say its nice to see an old game improved upon. And considering the work they put into it, (this is NOT the old PG2 code), I think they earned their $40. Heck, if ya didnt want the box, cd, and all that, the download version was only $20 a few days ago.
Besides, what is it in wargaming that needs to inmprove? There are certain functions, philosophies, rules, etc. in wargaming that will never change. Then also, I think every kind of war scenario has been done from cavemen to interstellar. Theyve been done in 3D, 2D, hex based, turn based, ugo, wego, realtime, land warfare, air combat, naval, undersea, space. What suggestions for improvements do you put out? What kind of game are you looking for bud? What exactly is it these developers should be doing to make YOU happy if that is possible?
Rudankort

Post by Rudankort »

ORIGINAL: oldguy

My point is stop buying the retread crap and force these "Developers" to actually have to improve the product.

Just in case anybody missed this information, Panzer Corps has a demo version available now, so everybody is free to try it and decide for himself if it is worth the price or not. There is no point in arguing about tastes on the forum.
oldguy

Post by oldguy »

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

Fair points to an extent. What innovations do you suggest? Is there nothing innovative out there for you? Anything make you happy?

I still play PGIII SE and still love it. I even like to play PG still.

I think everyone at Matrix & Slitherine was pretty upfront about what you would get in this game. I don't think anyone with their eyes open can claim they were surprised by the final product.

GG did World at War, that was pretty different from his other games to my knowledge.

Panzer Commander is a 3D game with some real big differences from normal wargames.

Steel Panthers was diferent when it came out.

I think many designers have been making some advances. Maybe not quick enough, but he, go tell them!

What do you want?

Make a list.

Do it with a little respect maybe?

You get more bees with honey than vinegar!

Well here is the issue. Your happy to pay for a game that you can get for FREE on the Internet. This game adds nothing new, its a simple copycat game from 15 years ago. I watched a youtube video and it even sounds and looks the same. Where is the value? Why do you keep playing PG and PG3 and still buy another version of the same game? Where is the logic?

I reload PG and PG2 like once every 5 years... and play it for a week or two and I am done... delete.

When I purchase a game... I have many options to buy... where to buy.... do I buy new or used...

I chose to purchase from Matrix Games because I wanted to support their efforts to keep small gaming companies alive. I support strategy wargaming. But I will not keep buying old retreaded games. Why support that? Your going to buy the next PANZER CORP 2 etc etc, fine thats up to you. GG will remake WIR and WIR every 5 years, you will be happy right??

How about working on a good AI? Whatever happenned to that? This is 2011.... CPU and RAM have been increased since 1995 you know? Video Graphics have been updated too. But your happy to have AI from 1995, graphics from 1995, sounds from 1985 all wrapped up for $40.00.

You keep buying so there is no reason to change.... and the "market" continues to shrink.

Look at an old game like COMPANY of HEROES from 6 years ago.... you can buy it for $5.99 on Amazon. Hmmmm couldn`t you use those type graphics with a strategy game?

Not for you right? You like a chess pieces or a hex or even boxes to move around right?

Check out the sounds in COMPANY of HEROES... you hear voices, they give you feedback.... explosions, engine noise, gunfire .... and music too. OMG Yeah it really sounds like a real war too.
Its even able to be programmed without DOS. Yep you can program in a windows enviroment believe it or not!

Amazing stuff for $5.99.

Give me strategy and bring it up to 2012 standards!

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Are you the new wargames Messiah?
You've just registered to spread the word, is that right? And tell the people who actually have enjoyed Panzer Corps for what it is, that they are wrong?
That's ridicule, unless you're just trolling.
And yeah you're an old time Matrix supporter, with 3 posts and registered in 12/12/2011. Right.[8|]
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

You've just registered to spread the word, is that right? And tell the people who actually have enjoyed Panzer Corps for what it is, that they are wrong?
And yeah you're an old time Matrix supporter, with 3 posts and registered in 12/12/2011. Right.[8|]

You simply have to understand that there are some people out there that like to hear themselves talk, even in a forum setting....just like the annoying old fart who comes to the diner every morning to spout his world view on politics, you simply continue to eat your breakfast and ignore him....
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

You simply have to understand that there are some people out there that like to hear themselves talk, even in a forum setting....just like the annoying old fart who comes to the diner every morning to spout his world view on politics, you simply continue to eat your breakfast and ignore him....

LOL, spot on Sir.
oldguy

Post by oldguy »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

So here come all the personal attacks eh? Longtime Supporter with a new account.

Great addition to the discussion.... oh wow you got the moderator to laugh..errr and the designer and errr the employee.... watever. Doesn`t matter, you just wanna sell your game. You use the forums to promote your product. Maybe some eyes will be openned on these forums. I doubt it but there is hope.

Lack of an argument, so we have personal attacks... Its your market that is dying not mine.

Time to close the thread don`t ya think??

Rudankort

Post by Rudankort »

ORIGINAL: oldguy
Lack of an argument, so we have personal attacks... Its your market that is dying not mine.

Time to close the thread don`t ya think??

There is no argument, because there is nothing to discuss.

Quality of the graphics and sound depends not only on time, but also on budget. You prefer to play only high-budget titles, after waiting a few years until they are discounted to $5? Your choice. In 6 years Panzer Corps might drop to $5 too, maybe even lower. It will be a fine price, because even PG2 is sold for $5 on GOG.

You say, you can play Open General for free? Yes, you sure can, but it is illegal, unless you bought PG2 it is based on. You can as well play any other game illegally for free. This is no news.

Panzer Corps is a remake of a 15 year old game? No it is not. There are more differences between PzC and PG than between PG and PG2 for example. It is a spiritual sequel, produced, because official sequel never arrived. Civilization 5 and Heroes 6 exist, but PG4 does not, so we filled that gap.

You cannot get over outdated graphics? Sorry. This game is not for you. But we may never see high-budget PG follow up, because it will not sell in big enough numbers.

Graphics does not matter but you want great gameplay and great AI? Well, try the demo. Maybe it does have more than you think. If you still think they are poor, do not buy the game. Your choice. Many people love it.

You see, it is all about tastes and personal choice. As for wargaming market, please do not worry about it. The rumors about its death are slightly exaggerated. But you need to approach it with realistic expectations. If you invest millions of dollars into a game, you might have hard times returning your investment. No matter if your game is crap or pure gold.

Return to “Panzer Corps”