questions

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

budd

questions

Post by budd »

thinking of picking up this title during the sale. I know there is only 3 scenarios, but does the AI respond differently depending on your actions and do the variations make the scenarios play that much differently. Concerned about the replay value of this game seeing as i am an AI only player.
thx.
budd
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
critter

RE: questions

Post by critter »

There are actually 3 sens and 2 battles. If you play with the varients and cards there are allot of different possiblities.

AI= Better AI morale, Diff Set ups. No dyle plan. Britian lands in E. Prussia. Stalin backs out on his deal. Flooded rivers and lowlands. Gas attacks.

German= More or less troops. Manstien plan. 22nd Air landing div. Land an SS comando raid in England and kill Churchill.

You get political points that you can / got to spend to gain advantages and counter AI advantages. You can spend your points on Intell or take your chances and guess. And you get less of them the worse you do or as the AI level goes up.

I really enjoy it. Saw the sale price and I'd buy it.

Rocketman has a wish list thread that Vic says he'll come back and look at. IMHO the Brits in the France sen needs tweaking. But its still a great game.
What do you mean we're out of amunition???
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

The designer:

"I am very aware that this game might not please the same crowd as Advanced Tactics. Historical realism and flexibility are hard to combine. I actually did add flexibility but within tight constraints in the form of what-if variants and a free setup mode and a measure of cause and effect relations between the 3 scenarios in the campaign. All this allows some experimentation of how battles would have gone when small and medium sized things would have been different.
The Artificial Intelligence used in Decisive Campaigns is a completely new one and is not at all as it was in Advanced Tactics. It’s quicker, smarter and it uses a number of techniques that should enable it to cope with situations I did not think of. Even more importantly, except for 1 minor supply rule that’s different for the AI, it does not cheat or enjoy any advantages."

I've been through the campaign once; coming up short in the Sealion scenario.  This is - in my estimation - realistic, as I am one who still believes that Sealion was little more than an exercise in propaganda . . . from both sides.

The designer's notes are modestly fair.  There is ample replayability in the game, and the AI is about as good as I've encountered, and better than pretty much everything.  It puts up a good show within the necessary historical constraints.  The campaign game is only playable from the Axis perspective.

Good job, Vic.  I'll give this a few more whirls as time allows.  I would have offered you some help with your translation (from Nederlands, I assume) of the game manual, but I'm too lazy. [:)]
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

Was "Weseruebung" (Norway) considered as a scenario?  If so, why was it passed over?
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I got it on sale. I have not played it yet, though. Hopefully some this weekend.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

I am picking up this title also, hope there are a few people wanting to do pbem.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”