VS-8 Where are you??

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

aoffen

VS-8 Where are you??

Post by aoffen »

Its Jan 1 1943 playing as Allies vs the dreaded JRCAR and Tony Luke in the lastest Beta patch

Anyway, in my op report I notice a message saying VS-8 disbanded. I check and sure enough VS-8 is gone and the aircraft and pilots are in the pools (I think).

So....I went back to the previous turn to check and sure enough there there was a toggle on the squadron size field saying either
a) No resize allowed; or
b) Disbanding in Jan 43
Looks like it had disbanding in Jan 43 selected so I have lost a well trained DB squadron. Its sister VB-8 expands to 36 planes but not until March 43 so I now have a CV short if its full air wing for 3 months in a situation where I need every bit of help I can get. These guys are like the Borg!!

Not quite sure I get why it happened. Is it a Beta oatch thing? Has anyone seen this before? Do I have to go thru all my squadrons now and check there sizing status?.

Regards
Andrew
HansBolter

RE: VS-8 Where are you??

Post by HansBolter »

I believe it is part of the reorganization of the carrier squadrons.

The Scout dive bomber squadrons disband and the Bomber dive bomber squadrons resize along with the Fighter squadrons.
Hans

Miller

Post by Miller »

So does this mean the US CVs lose half of their DB complement for two months?
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: Miller

So does this mean the US CVs lose half of their DB complement for two months?

Yes, you have two options: substitute the disappearing groups with Marine SDB units or disable the option to be disbanded on march 1st
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Hmmm...seems they should be timed so the disband and expansion happen at the same time.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Since when is the government's timing a thing to rely upon???
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Really !![X(]

or at least have the switch set as "no disband" as default at game start....if I didn`t find this this thread, my CV DB groups would be screwed as well.

Also are you not being debited PP`s each day they are not disbanded ?

Seems a little harsh on the Alied player either way....................
ORIGINAL: USS America

Hmmm...seems they should be timed so the disband and expansion happen at the same time.
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
aoffen

Post by aoffen »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Really !![X(]

or at least have the switch set as "no disband" as default at game start....if I didn`t find this this thread, my CV DB groups would be screwed as well.

Also are you not being debited PP`s each day they are not disbanded ?

Seems a little harsh on the Alied player either way....................
ORIGINAL: USS America

Thats what pissed me off. I didn't notice the toggle and now have a CV a long way from home short of aircraft. REALLY annoying.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

I posted this over at the Tech forum, perhaps we can get some support for a ajustment in this at least for the CV Sqs.

" Michaelm, Could you look at this thread please:

If this is WAD , with a 60+ day delay before replacement, it severely impacts the ship board SBD Scout/Bomb/Fighter Sqs. at critcial times in PBEM games.

Can we not have the game engine do a simultaneous disband and replacement, at least for the CV combat air units ?

Thanks "
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Looking at scen 1, VS-8 is scheduled to withdraw on March 1,1943.  I recall there was a data error or bug at one point that caused some VS squadrons to withdraw on Jan 1, 1943.  Are you playing the latest version of the scenario and the latest patch?

Can you check the files for the version of the scenario you're playing?  VS-8 should be group #1725.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
aoffen

Post by aoffen »

Bill,
Thanks. I am playing the latest version with all of Michaelm's beta patches installed. Scenario 1.
As far as I can see VS-8 had a withdrawal date of 1 March which coincided with VB-8's size increase. All good. However it also had a toggle in the re-size field that had it disband on Jan 1 '43. That is what caused it to evaporate.
Regards
Andrew
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Its Jan 1 1943 playing as Allies vs the dreaded JRCAR and Tony Luke in the lastest Beta patch

Anyway, in my op report I notice a message saying VS-8 disbanded. I check and sure enough VS-8 is gone and the aircraft and pilots are in the pools (I think).

So....I went back to the previous turn to check and sure enough there there was a toggle on the squadron size field saying either
a) No resize allowed; or
b) Disbanding in Jan 43
Looks like it had disbanding in Jan 43 selected so I have lost a well trained DB squadron. Its sister VB-8 expands to 36 planes but not until March 43 so I now have a CV short if its full air wing for 3 months in a situation where I need every bit of help I can get. These guys are like the Borg!!

Not quite sure I get why it happened. Is it a Beta oatch thing? Has anyone seen this before? Do I have to go thru all my squadrons now and check there sizing status?.

Regards
Andrew
I assumed you are playing a Beta. If so just keep clicking on the resize options and after three you'll get a box that lets you resize. This only applies to ship based air units, can't do it on land.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

The VS squadrons do vanish. The VB increases in size to counter the VS being disbanded. Usually the VB increase and the VS disband happen on same day so that the planes from the VS can be absorbed by the VB.
This is part of the normal re-org of USN air groups in March 43, IIRC.
Michael
spence

Post by spence »

There's at least one other VS Squadron that disbands in Jan 1943 besides VS-8. The corresponding VB squadron doesn't increase in size until March 1943. But it seems that the VS Squadron doesn't vanish until one puts into port. The whole thing seems somewhat surrealistic but it also seems that a work-around would be to stay at sea until everybody is getting lackanookie pay.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”