Lost my saved games

Post bug reports and ask for technical assistance here.
simon1468

Lost my saved games

Post by simon1468 »

Hi There,

I have the latest versions of CCLD and CCWOR. I have a problem where the games freeze while loading usually just as a battle is finishing, I have to go into the task manager and end the program. Once I go back into the game my saved campaign is gone. This is very frustrating as I have now lost three very long games. I'm running Windows Vista. This did not happen with Arnhem Brigge I was able to finish that one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon. [:@]
Tejszd

RE: Lost my saved games

Post by Tejszd »

I have had/seen this problem too.

It seems to have been introduced with the last patch as others have posted about the same issue only after it was released.... Hopefully a fix will be coming soon, Matrix???
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

There is currently no announced schedule for providing a fix... shame this used to be a good game.
ImageImage
simon1468

Post by simon1468 »

Thanks Guys,

I hope they get around to it soon, I was really enjoying the games before they were erased. At least I can still play Arnhem Bridge. I bought the cross of iron upgrade as well, but I didn't notice that much of an upgrade.

Cheers,

Simon.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

This issue is being investigated and will be addressed in a future update.  An estimated date for this will be posted as soon as one is available.

Nickfury

Post by Nickfury »

Damn, I just had this happen to me too. Lost several days of playing, had completed 2 days of the campaign. It froze up as the game was finishing and I lost my last save. I guess I have to try to save after every battle?

I hope you guys fix this.

Nick
Andrew Williams

I expect a to see a SUPER-MEGA-UPDATE (Public BETA test)maybe around July 2012.

Hopefully this will make the game stable and then in 2013 expect to see playability issues addressed.... fingers crossed.

:)
ImageImage
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Any update on a fix Matrix???

This should be considered a show stopper as people can not play Campaigns or Operations without at some point losing their saved games....
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Not at this time. As soon as there is new information on the update I will post it here.
Bordic

Post by Bordic »

Well, I have bought COI, LSA and TLD in succession...

So, what should I play with without having any surprise? Still with COI? [;)]
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

I hope they know that WAR does this too?
Andrew Williams

It hasn't been tested with the new mega-patch exe.
ImageImage
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

Are they working on a Mega Patch?
RichM

Post by RichM »

Ugh! I just lost two weeks of my free time to this bug. This needs to be fixed. If it happened in the latest patch it should be reverted. I just bought this game when I started playing two weeks ago, and now I find that it can't be finished. If you aren't going to fix it then stop selling it!
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

The March 14 beta patch fixes the problem; tm.asp?m=3060832
RichM

Post by RichM »

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

The March 14 beta patch fixes the problem; tm.asp?m=3060832

Here I am nearly a year later using the above mentioned patch, and no, it does NOT fix the problem. Two weeks of my free time playing, and I can't finish the game so the experience is utterly ruined. Saved game is gone. I want my two weeks back.
RichM

Post by RichM »

Any news on this? I really liked the game, but I want to be able to finish without crashing.
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

This also happens in CC4 and CC5.

During a Stalingrad GC the game would crash at the end of the last battle of the turn in single player, every time. Upon going back to reload it, the save file was gone.

I was able to hex edit the save file. I removed both BGs out of the save file in order to advance to next round. This was a short term fix and I was hex editing blindy. Only by trial and error I found the BGs. Having to remove the BGs was worst case scenario, it was just a back up plan. Long term effects are unknown.

When my opponent and I played that battle, it went fine, no crash and the file saved on both computers. I don't know why it worked here. I did not have to resort to hex editing the save file.

I saved the file when it was giving me crashes, and two weeks later when I play it, no crashes. So its got me stumped as why this happens.

Theres a few things you can do on your own to "fix" this to continue the GC. You need to have back up save files to do these.

1. In the forcepool selection screen, replace all your troops, do this for opponent as well.
2. Upload the file to someone else and see if they can truce through the battle.
3. Switch sides by hex editing save file and attempt to truce through battle. http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/mo ... ge&pid=119
4. Play that battle online.
5. Reinstall the game in a different folder.

Basically with these options your trying to change any variables within the game that may be causing the crash.

Nothing I have found can bring these saved games back. They are in memory though and no data is truly deleted off the HD until its written over. What you can do is find an undelete program and it may be able to restore the save file. Good freebie versions of this kind of software is hard to find, good luck!

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: RichM
Any news on this? I really liked the game, but I want to be able to finish without crashing.

As stated above, the fix for the original issue reported in this thread was made some years ago.

If you are using the latest update to The Longest Day and still encountering an issue with a crash and loss of saved game file, it's being caused by something different than the original bug. Here are some steps I'd recommend to try and narrow down the problem:

1) Re-install the game from scratch and verify / install the latest update.

2) Do not install any mods for the game.

3) Start a brand new campaign / operation using the re-installed game. Trying to continue play on a saved game from an earlier version may still crash if the file itself was corrupted.

If it's still occurring please report as much information as you can about what campaign/operation you were playing and anything noteworthy about the battle you were playing. I will make a note to re-investigate this issue next time work on The Longest Day is on the table.

Thanks,

Steve
Siebenkaes

Post by Siebenkaes »

I am shocked, because it is impossible for me to run nearly all CC Games (MT/CoI/WaR/LSA/TLD) with windows 10. Only PitF + GtC work. Is this the end for me after 20 years with these games and the older? I hope, You have a idea to solve this problem. Best wishes Th.Walther
Ich bin schockiert, daß fast alle CC-Spiele unter windows 10 nicht mehr laufen, nur noch PitF + GtC. Ist das nach 20 Jahren das Ende für mich mit diesen Spielen, und den alten? Ich hoffe, Sie haben eine Idee, um dieses Problem zu lösen. Viele Grüße, Th.Walther

Return to “Tech Support”