User interface: Idle Ships Side Bar Icon Please

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Sithuk

User interface: Idle Ships Side Bar Icon Please

Post by Sithuk »

I have recently discovered the idle ships feature and it has changed the way I play. Previously I was constantly zooming around the screen checking fleets to see if they had completed the order I had given them. Now I cycle through idle ships/fleets using the I key. I believe Des' recent video AAR pointed out this feature (thanks!).

What I would really like is to have an idle ships pop out panel from the side bar on the left of the screen, like there is for potential colonies for example. I don't need to cycle then, I can see the idle ships/fleets appear as they complete their orders. This would save me constantly cycling when I don't really need to. Less micromanagement.

I've noticed that my deployed re-supply ships appear as idle. They are deployed and should not appear as idle. I have given them their orders and I do not need to see them when I cycle through my idle ships/fleets.

1) Please add an idle ships pop out panel from the side bar on the left of the screen. You could even use the existing zZZz icon on the bot left for it so this feature could make it into Legends.
2) Please remove deployed re-supply ships from the idle ship/fleet list. Perhaps give them a "deployed" action status.

[Added this to the master wishlist. I'd like to discuss the feature request here though]
cookie monster

RE: User interface: Idle Ships Side Bar Icon Please

Post by cookie monster »

Just right click on the screen and an idle ships list pops up.
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Holy crap, really?

This interface is already so massive and expansive, I'm still learning things! How is this game not on the cover of PC Gamer?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Because the world has no idea what a good game is. And Matrix does not pay enough.
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

Right click where? I don't understand.
Forget it.
SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

It gives a list of EVERY ship that isn't doing something.

I think what Sithuk wants, is some way of showing idle ships by type - for example, idle construction or colony ships - without going through the ship management panel.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Keston

Post by Keston »

The big question with an empire of any size is easily scoping WHERE those idle ships are to determine which may be useful.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

DW

Cookie monster I promise never to show you another piece of fruit, ever.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Good point.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Thanks for this cookie, can't believe I missed this one too. I still need to right click to access the idle ship list. Its less micromanagement than constantly cycling through the idle ships/fleets list but it still requires me to click to check it, which I'd continually be doing to my annoyance (less annoying than constantly cycling through the i key menu though I think).

I'd still rather have an idle ship panel displayed on the left of the screen which is always updated so that when a ship becomes idle it appears there and I can see it. No need to click through to menus. A new addition to the idle ship panel would catch my eye with a glance and I would know I should assign an action. I'd want that panel to only show military ships, though options hidden away in the options menus to select what ships types are shown there would be welcome.

Before someone suggests the idle ship alert that appears on the right of the screen, it isn't what I'm after either. It is a one time alert that disappears in seconds. Information overload can be a risk with multiple idle ships alerts.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”