Japanese Early War Amphibious Landing Bonus

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pws1225

Japanese Early War Amphibious Landing Bonus

Post by pws1225 »

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I am unable to find the exact expiration date of Japan's early war amphibious landing bonus. The manual says that the bonus is in effect for the 'first four months' of the war. I can interpret this to mean either that the bonus expires at the end of March '42 or on April 6, '42 depending on how the clock flies. In my PBEM game against Dr.Hal, it is currently Mar 21, '42 so I either have 10 days or 16 days left to capitalize on this feature. An additional 6 days would greatly expand my horizons of opportunity, but to assume it's there when in fact it's not would be very 'disruptive'. Any help from more experienced JFBs would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is my first game playing as Japan and I have yet to crash the economy. Hats off to Mike Solli for his sound advice!

Regards, Paul
DivePac88

RE: Japanese Early War Amphibious Landing Bonus

Post by DivePac88 »

6.3.3.3.2 : Note that there is an "initial operations" bonus for Japanese during the first 4 months of the war.

6.3.3.3.2.1 : Special Japanese early war bonus of 1200 for all AP/AK and xAP/xAK types.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

It's sometimes a dangerous assumption, but this is one of those rules that probably hasn't changed since original WitP. Since no one else has given you a definitive answer yet, I'll go out on what I think is a sturdy limb and tell you that it's through March 42, since that's how it was worded in the original manual. (It was not only worded that way, it worked that way, too. Sorry, I don't have any turns or saves on AE from that period to be 100% sure it hasn't for some unknown reason changed, though.)
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The early-war landing bonus expires at the end of March 1942.  Thus, it isn't in effect as of April 1.  But, dang, that four-month period seems like it lasts forever.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I agree, it's 31 Mar 42. Try an invasion on 1 April (even unopposed) and watch your disruption skyrocket. From the Japanese side, the bonus is all too short CR. [;)]
Created by the amazing Dixie
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I agree, it's 31 Mar 42. Try an invasion on 1 April (even unopposed) and watch your disruption skyrocket. From the Japanese side, the bonus is all too short CR. [;)]
+1

should extend AT LEAST another 12 months! [:D][:D][:D] Oh, and while dreaming, a geisha ... [8D]
Pax
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Thanks to all for the quick response. The end of March it is.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Sorry about that Paul, looks like you will just have to pack a lot in the next 10 days.... without me noticing! Hal
koontz

Post by koontz »

Does it end at the same date in scenario 2 ?
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: koontz

Yes.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Yes.

(Evil laugh. In a moose that involves a lot of snot.) [:'(]
The Moose
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Yes.

We don't need no stinking bonus... Just saying... [;)]
TTFN,

Mike
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

To the best of my recollection, I have never seen one of the developers clarify the answer to the OP's question. In my mind it is unresolved whether the last day of the bonus is 31 March '42 or 6 April '42.

I know that many people are convinced it is 31 March, i just don't recall seeing an authority provide the answer. [8D]
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

If it is 31 MAR 42 or 6 APR 42, matters not. It is during that time period and the difference of a week should not be significant over the extent of the length of the war.

As the allies, you need to find a way to put a kink in the Japanese efforts during this timeline. As the Japanese, you need to keep the schedule going by crushing the allies, in men, equipment, and most of all spirit to take advantage of this time period.

Having been on both sides, I can now see the importance of both statements!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Yes.

We don't need no stinking bonus... Just saying... [;)]

(Clears throat.) Apparently not. [:)]
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

OP:  Get a foothold into any major theatres that you intend to occupy in earnest prior to the expiration of the bonus-it's quite helpful.  Also, use this time to take the nuisance 'bitsa' dot hexes throughout the map.  After April 1, they will be that much more annoying to take without incurring major disruption to your units.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

OP:  Get a foothold into any major theatres that you intend to occupy in earnest prior to the expiration of the bonus-it's quite helpful.  Also, use this time to take the nuisance 'bitsa' dot hexes throughout the map.  After April 1, they will be that much more annoying to take without incurring major disruption to your units.

After 3/31, I use paratroopers/paratrooper fragments almost exclusively. Paratroops via Mavis are actually a great way to do it for the entirety, IMO.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

After 3/31, I use paratroopers/paratrooper fragments almost exclusively. Paratroops via Mavis are actually a great way to do it for the entirety, IMO.

That's all well and good for foothold entry into theatres with undefended bases. The IJ player can't assume being able to bring more than about 50-75 AV by paratroop drop. That just won't do against a marginally defended site.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

That's all well and good for foothold entry into theatres with undefended bases. The IJ player can't assume being able to bring more than about 50-75 AV by paratroop drop. That just won't do against a marginally defended site.

Yeah, I was mostly referring to the little ones with no Allied presence. Particularly around the Celebes where there's just a lot of landing to do at tiny/nonexistent ports.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The early-war landing bonus expires at the end of March 1942.  Thus, it isn't in effect as of April 1.  But, dang, that four-month period seems like it lasts forever.

IT ROCKS! I always plan my war operations around that dreaded date.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”