Build cost

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

latosusi

Build cost

Post by latosusi »

Does cost to build Soviet units, like rifle divisions get cheaper after few rounds?
For rifle division that is 40 ap now in july 1941.
Thank you for your help
sillyflower

RE: Build cost

Post by sillyflower »

See manual section 12.2.4 in my original edition anyway. 20 points from Nov '41 and 10 from may '42 I think
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
latosusi

Post by latosusi »

Thank you!
Mike13z50

Post by Mike13z50 »

Rifle Brigades cost 5 admin points, and you can combine two of them to form a Rifle Division.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

but you can only combine them from May '42 when divs only cost 10 APs anyway.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Mike13z50

Post by Mike13z50 »

But you can build brigades before May 42 and let them train, then combine.

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

If Flavius reads this you are a deadman - heresy writ large in his view
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

sorry -duplicate
web exchange

Mike13z50

Post by Mike13z50 »

I'm not saying you should do it, if you do your job as soviet you have plenty of infantry. I was thinking of an AAR I was reading where the guy was building 40 point infantry divisions when Cav Corps was available. IF you need to build infantry before the 10 point Rifle Division then the 2 bde route could be the way to go.

But on further review you can't combine 2xbde <May 42> until after you can build 10 point divisions.<Oct 41>
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the cost to create Rifle Divisions was 20 until Summer 42.

Can'f find it anywhere though.

<Added> Assault Engineer Sapper Brigade May-43
Found the Eng Bde while reviewing the build list; suppose it is an SU, attach one of those to you Rifle Corps.

4x AP cost: From June 1941 until the end of October 1941 (12.2.4.1)

From unit creation posting:
Rifle Division(1) [may not] be formed from two rifle brigades [before] May, 1942

Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I'd be amazed if you had enough replacements to fill out brigades before 10 AP divisional builds are available. You can hardly bring up the shells to speed during the first winter.

Rifle brigades are pointless. Build divisions. But preferably, you shouldn't have to build either. There's more than enough to run a 450+ rifle division army, and you'll have a difficult time keeping those topped off without building more. Only if you lose a bunch of these past November should you build any at all. Replacements won't keep up with much more than a 400ish rifle division army.
WitE Alpha Tester
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

I'd be amazed too. The game provides so many Inf divs and Brgds I dont know what to do with them and it is a very slow process building them up to battle quality. If you want to build anything check your Active Pools for elements that are > zero and then build units that use those; for example in my current PBEM gamefor about the last 10 turns I have Cav and 152mm Hwz in abundnace in the Active Pool so I have been building Cav divs and Hwz regiments.

The only problem with that is that Cav divs use some equip no longer produced eg BA10 armoured cars even though its replacement is there in abundance.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”