V3 Battle of Nancy

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

sweeteye

V3 Battle of Nancy

Post by sweeteye »

Being I am not sure when the patch will be out I have decided to post version 3 since I have it finished.This scenario does include the battalion AT platoons for the U.S. so I will have to make the change for the patch.The graphics files for the new map are included.Installation instructions are included.Had to make a last minute adjustment on the graphics file.Fixed now and ready to go.There are a couple of minor things that still need to be changed in the German OOB.The static flak units in the 92nd I am not sure about.Also a static artillery battery in the 553rd.Should either change them or move them into better positions.

Attachments
V3 Battle of Nancy.zip
(4.76 MiB) Downloaded 230 times
Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

wodin

RE: V3 Battle of Nancy

Post by wodin »

lovely...good work.

One thing that would be great is if your screenies didn't show all the units on map...as know I know where all the enemy is...takes away any fog at start of scenario...

The map and the ToE is enough.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Sorry....did not think about that...The AI will be changing position some though. It is better to not know where the opposing units are at. I will work on spreading out the objective start times.Maybe will create another scenario for the Nancy battle.
Headquarters Company

wodin

Post by wodin »

Not complianing just giving anit of feedback as a player. Keep up the good work...the better you become at this the more enjoyment for everyone else ;)

You neve rknow you may get asked to be a scenario maker for future games!!
7thcav

Post by 7thcav »

Excellent map,graphics and scenario !!!.............Thanks sweeteye.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: wodin

One thing that would be great is if your screenies didn't show all the units on map..

True.

@Sweeteye:
You can determine the level of intel/visibility in the scenario maker. You can even provide misleading info, like say "placing" false intel "footprints" of one or another unit north of Bernecourt, for example. With Allied air superiority, planes spotted retreating or scouting/spearheading German ground units and passed the info quickly. So, in this scenario, the Corps would then receive this info about either retreating units or say about German scouts.

Still, Intel would have been bad without recon on the ground. The campaigns in France offered probably the best intel of the war, as the Resistance kept delivering infos about troop movements, even down to the number of vehicles and unit designations (if visible). The buildup or composition of the defense in the woods around Nancy/Toul, outside the city/villages, was difficult to track, most likely, though.

Anyway, I recommend showing the "tip" of the German defense at Toul, one or another unit in the south east, and a rough layout of the defenses up north (say every 3rd unit). I would provide info about every 4th or 5th unit in the south east, to show the player that this line is occupied by the defenders, but be vague about strength. If I am not mistaken, the terrain allows for an attack from the south (means bypassing Toul south, then attacking towards unit 1119), so you might want to avoid giving out too many infos about the south east corner, and to provide enough infos about 1119 & Co., to show it's not an easy backdoor.

Just my 2 cents.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

For some reason my first thoughts were that players would want to know the starting positions. It is easy enough to take a look at the opposite side by simply starting a scenario as the opposite side, though players would probably not do this if they like to keep the mystery about it.I guess it is a bit late now to hide the starting positions for Nancy but for future scenarios I will have a partial blackout on unit starting positions. I guess I could change the top screen shot as you suggest.[8|]
Headquarters Company

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: sweeteye

For some reason my first thoughts were that players would want to know the starting positions.

I know what you mean. Players usually analyze the objectives, feasable approach routes, and they read the briefing, though. Imho, that provides more immersion. If you give a rough layout of the defensive parameters/main defensive positions or "expected" positions via intel, it makes a game more thrilling, imho. Or you can include a JPG showing the attack plan (a feature I'd like to see in the scenario selection screen, actually) in your map/scenario zip-file.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'd never look to see the other sides positions...would really ruin the game for me...really it's cheating and makes playing the sceanrio pointless, well pretty much so....thats why a good breifing and timed obj's as GoodGuy says are the things that help to plan and add immersion.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Guess I am in a tough position when it comes to playing my own scenarios as I am forced to know the opposing sides initial positions....I have set the scenario to having no intelligence so there is no way to know what type of unit I am up against most of the time. The AI do move around and seem to change a little from game to game.

Headquarters Company

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”