Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

halder252

Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles?

Post by halder252 »

Age of Rifles is an old game that is no longer published, it has become abandonware, but every site I've tried to download it from doesn't seem to work. I'm interested in playing it and I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get it.

Thanks
sterckxe

RE: Does anyone know where I can get Age of Rifles?

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: halder252

Age of Rifles is an old game that is no longer published, it has become abandonware, but every site I've tried to download it from doesn't seem to work. I'm interested in playing it and I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

lol........dont think he was expecting that
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

halder252,

getting Age of Rifles to run on a modern PC is usually more difficult than getting a copy of the game. I believe that most people who still play it use DOSBox or D-Fend.

If or when you get the game there are hundreds of player-designed scenarios for it. A good source of scenarios is the Games Depot at the Wargamer. The Yahoo! Age of Rifles group is a good source of even more scenarios. It also has a large number of player-designed campaigns – especially for the American Civil War. The group can also be used to find technical advice and PBEM opponents.

redcoat
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

That game RULES!
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

needs to be updated...ASAP
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I'm torn, because if I think it was remade I would die from sheer ecstasy.

Although depending on who did it. It might come with one battle and 150 DLCs.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I'm torn, because if I think it was remade I would die from sheer ecstasy.

Although depending on who did it. It might come with one battle and 150 DLCs.

Oh please. It would be two battles and 150 DLCs. [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Not if Matrix remade it...
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I hear it's being updated as a new FPS on XBox 360 !.... (just kidding !)
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Strategic Wargames development suite.

Having researched the potential of the old game 'AGE OF RIFLES 2' and looked at the demand flow within the parameters of market penetration within a niche-core old-skool, segment section we have these conclusions for the board.

1. The game requires significant re-imaging. A top down 2d game is inconceivable. Its almost laughable that anyone would have even made it originally.

2. The idea of using the time frame 1846 - 1905 is intriguing. We have had some limited success with this period, from all the Pirates of the Caribbean media generation.
Therefore we believe we can utilise this time frame, but may need to game it up to say, 2245AD, to broaden market appeal.
The 1898 scenario will feature giant Zeppelins armed with poison gas and maxim style machine guns {but with laser sights}. The Sudan scenario will have players riding on fast camels..possibly robot ones?

3. Obviously this will be a FPS. But with cool 'old skool' uniforms. EG a 7th cavalry outfit {now renamed Custer's legions of Mars}. The range of weapons will include a basic 20 shot pistol, all the way up to a shoulder mounted mini death star.

4. To capture the original spirit of the title we believe that players should have a tactical planning screen before entering FPS mode. Naturally this will be full 3d, RTS. Players plot the various commands on the radar map and move units there to locations where they can obtain power ups. {There may well be scope to add a tower defence aspect to the game. Rorke's Drift is just made for this!}

5. All usual elements of our factory-line games will be available. Sniper's rifle. Medi- packs. All terrain vehicles, anti grav harness, health monitor, magic spells and so on.
But what will make this game really stand out in the crowded FPS/RTS market will be its follow the missile camera, Sunbursts , texture of the grass and 50 player hunt the flag death match mode.

We recommend the board approve this title.
parusski

Post by parusski »

I have a copy--SOMEWHERE. If I locate the game I will let you know. Of course the only thing you get will be AAR's as I play it. [:D][X(]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Thanks
I don't think you looked too hard. A 5 min search got me a download - I'm unsure forum rules allow me to reveal the site; even if it is abandoned.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Those e-bay prices seem quite reasonable compared with many old titles. As has been said, though, the biggest problem is getting it to run, not getting hold of it in the first place.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

If you don't want the box and the manual, please don't buy it. It will be another antique lost for collectors. I'm pretty sure it's on at least one copy on one of the abandonware sites.
ORIGINAL: sterckxe

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Please refrain yourself from doing things like this when people ask for a download location. It hurts vintage game collectors like me. Thanks.
There are only several copies of many old games left on sale and it would be a shame if they would be wasted on non-collectors who could play the abandonware version instead.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

If you don't want the box and the manual, please don't buy it. It will be another antique lost for collectors.

The manual is on the web here:

http://hadberz.stormloader.com/AOR.html
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I meant box and manual like in a collector's item[:)].
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: ezz

Having researched the potential of the old game 'AGE OF RIFLES 2' and looked at the demand flow within the parameters of market penetration within a niche-core old-skool, segment section we have these conclusions for the board.

1. The game requires significant re-imaging. A top down 2d game is inconceivable. Its almost laughable that anyone would have even made it originally.

2. The idea of using the time frame 1846 - 1905 is intriguing. We have had some limited success with this period, from all the Pirates of the Caribbean media generation.
Therefore we believe we can utilise this time frame, but may need to game it up to say, 2245AD, to broaden market appeal.
The 1898 scenario will feature giant Zeppelins armed with poison gas and maxim style machine guns {but with laser sights}. The Sudan scenario will have players riding on fast camels..possibly robot ones?

3. Obviously this will be a FPS. But with cool 'old skool' uniforms. EG a 7th cavalry outfit {now renamed Custer's legions of Mars}. The range of weapons will include a basic 20 shot pistol, all the way up to a shoulder mounted mini death star.

4. To capture the original spirit of the title we believe that players should have a tactical planning screen before entering FPS mode. Naturally this will be full 3d, RTS. Players plot the various commands on the radar map and move units there to locations where they can obtain power ups. {There may well be scope to add a tower defence aspect to the game. Rorke's Drift is just made for this!}

5. All usual elements of our factory-line games will be available. Sniper's rifle. Medi- packs. All terrain vehicles, anti grav harness, health monitor, magic spells and so on.
But what will make this game really stand out in the crowded FPS/RTS market will be its follow the missile camera, Sunbursts , texture of the grass and 50 player hunt the flag death match mode.

Of course we'll have to apply the most complex and restrictive DRM scheme to it to protect our product against piracy.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: ezz

Of course we'll have to apply the most complex and restrictive DRM scheme to it to protect our product against piracy.

Don't forget the thousands of DLC packs we can foist on the adoring public.....

Return to “General Discussion”