using captured vehicles/guns

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
kweniston

using captured vehicles/guns

Post by kweniston »

Hello. As discussed on CCS (link ), would it be possible to actually use captured guns/vehicles in combat? I always wondered whether those captured 88's or Shermans would show up in my forcepool later on, but I never encountered one.

In real life the Germans seemed to use any captured equipment as much as they could. I think it would be a very nice feature for Close Combat if captured equipment could be put to use, later on in the campaign. Thanks for looking into it!
philip wells

RE: using captured vehicles/guns

Post by philip wells »

They could be modded into a force pool associated with a date. But is there any evidence that any vehicles or guns captured during the operation were used in the operation. The Germans certainly used a lot of captured equipment the Russians also did if they got enough of it, and had time to train on it, I would doubt that the combined US British forces did at all.

I personally would not like equipment captured in game to be added to the force pool.
kweniston

Post by kweniston »

It's not that often when you capture a piece, usually it's destroyed, so it won't be that commonplace. Capturing something implies you can use it for yourself, so why not make use of this? It's a prominent column on the scoring table, and sometimes I actively try to capture some pieces, but then after the battle it has no effect? A bit strange, don't you think?

I believe it would add to the realism angle of the game, just like scavenging weapons does. Those are pretty advanced game features. It could be limited with a limited ammo supply for example, or with a 'chance' factor of getting the thing to work. For the non-likers, perhaps this could be in the 'options' screen: "Use captured enemy vehicles/guns" check box.

If it could be modded, then maybe the modders out there could think about it.
philip wells

Post by philip wells »

Tanks captured removes them from the enemy forcepool. That in itself is worthwhile as its loss to the enemy. I can't see the developers spending time on this there are many features that would be worth including or improving before this. It can only be modded by putting the enemy equipment in the forcepool, this would not relate to whether or not you had captured the equipment, it would be just there at a given date.
kweniston

Post by kweniston »

ORIGINAL: philip wells
I can't see the developers spending time on this there are many features that would be worth including or improving before this.

I don't care about that, I just contribute possible ideas/improvements. Whether or not they're picked up or in what order they're dealt with, is up to them. Not posting doesn't get anything done.

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”