GC 1941 1.05.23 (updated) Cannonfodder (Soviet) vs heliodorus04 (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

KenchiSulla

GC 1941 1.05.23 (updated) Cannonfodder (Soviet) vs heliodorus04 (Axis)

Post by KenchiSulla »

The motherland is invaded..... Heliodorus04 is leading the axis troops into battle..

Goals for the upcoming 1941 campaign:

- Evacuate important industries from the threatened areas
- Delay the axis onslaught to ensure its destruction in the coming years
- Prevent a linkup of the Germans and Fins (if at all possible)
- Hold Moscow

Strategy

- Employ a forward defense in north and center
- Reinforce priorities are North (unless Leningrad falls), Center and then South.
- Employ defense in depth...
- Dig, dig, dig

I am an inexperienced player (only a few turns of PBEM experience) so I hope this AAR will be an interesting reads for players fairly new to the game. Learn from my mistakes, I am bound to make them!
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
KenchiSulla

Turn 1

Post by KenchiSulla »

North: Riga gambit... Parts of Northwestern front pocketed or routed. I am employing a forward delaying action hoping to slow the panzers down while I form defenses at Pskov, Novgorod and beyond.. Railing some mech corps and reserve rifle corps in from the center and south of the map.

Attachments
turn 1 North.jpg
turn 1 North.jpg (274.15 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
KenchiSulla

Turn 1

Post by KenchiSulla »

The pocket holds (10 miles short)... I am moving in reinforcements to protect the flanks of an infantry corps defending Minsk... Whatever the cost.. The PGs need to be delayed!
Attachments
Turn1Center.jpg
Turn1Center.jpg (393.45 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 1

Post by KenchiSulla »

Lvov pocket holds. The strong mech corps north north east of Lvov is pocketed as well with help form AGC. So far it is unclear what my foes plans are for his 1941 campaign.

Attachments
Turn1South.jpg
Turn1South.jpg (263.26 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

CarnageINC

RE: Turn 1

Post by CarnageINC »

Howdy Cannonfodder, could you post a pic of zone of control?  Just curious on what ground you hold in the north.
stelel

RE: GC 1941 1.04.36 Cannonfodder (Soviet) vs heliodorus04 (Axis)

Post by stelel »

And you should also show a larger map of the southern sector... even if it is not your priority :)

From what I can see in the south... your opponent didn't go beyond Tarnopol and didn't reach Rovno... if it is so, that's a very good opening... for you. If you still hold Stanislas and Chernovtsy, I advise you to evacuate as many of your divisions as possible east of the rivers Dnestr, Zbrush and Goryn.

Your priorities are fine... the problem you will face is that your best troops are in the South and your weakest forces in the north! It is very difficult to save Leningrad against a skillfull Axis player... I am currently committed in my 5th GC41 (4 as the Soviet - 1 as the Axis) and Leningrad fell 4 times. The good thing is that it is eventually never a big drawback for the Soviet... the Finns are not that powerful and cannot be left alone in the north.

Good luck and have fun.
yeti
KenchiSulla

RE: GC 1941 1.04.36 Cannonfodder (Soviet) vs heliodorus04 (Axis)

Post by KenchiSulla »

Thanks for the tips! A larger map of the south.. I don't have zone of control pics (ill make them next turn).

Attachments
SOuth.jpg
SOuth.jpg (337.7 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 2

Post by KenchiSulla »

Turn 2

Heliodorus04 advances. He uses his PA aggressively. At several points I manage to cut a few motorised and armoured units of from the supply grid. I know he will resupply by air and re-establish contact but I will make him fight for it. The red air force is committed. I don't like withdrawing it into the NR. With the interdiction attacks actually working now it is really worthwhile deploying units to the front! Added benefit is the chance to attack his resupply efforts.

Skirmishing divisions are deployed in an effort to upset Helio's schedule.. He knows I am a fairly new player and he is really helping me out (through pm, pointing me int he right direction). A compliment would be if he would have to quit doing it... ;)

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (606.58 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 2

Post by KenchiSulla »

Center.. Minsk troops are isolated although I did manage to delay him enough to be able to evacuate most of the industry out of Mogilev...

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (620.84 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 2

Post by KenchiSulla »

Defenders are digging in near Kiev. I isolated 6 divisions hopefully slowing his progress in the south. I am deploying more fighters and bombers to the front line. Main missions are interdiction and transport intercept. I would have railed out some of the armour at the base of the pripyat but I just didn't have the capacity to get them out.. Now they will push east in a breakout attempt. They are still in good supply and good order.

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (695.98 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 3

Post by KenchiSulla »

This turn is all about balancing moving reinforcements forward and industry out. I give priority to moving armament factories over heavy industry at the moment.

Despite the fact that Helio managed to destroy a lot of damaged aircraft displacing my airbase units I will not abandon this tactic. Yes, I lose a lot of airframes but in my opinion the red airforce can afford it. Although results of interdiction are dissapointing I will keep it up and see if it slows him down the moment his movement points start to go down!

In the north, south and center my forward defense changed into a fighting withdrawal. I am using a "checkerboard" (economy of force?) to slow Helio down. I garrison cities with industry in it to prevent destruction.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (314.32 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 3

Post by KenchiSulla »

A picture says more then a thousand words...

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (511.83 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 3

Post by KenchiSulla »

Center situation. A long line to defend and not enough units to do it...

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (362.43 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 3

Post by KenchiSulla »

Half half I am expecting an attack to the southeast, past Odessa to cut of the southern front. Kiev is being reinforced as it is near a river line and I don't want to give it up without a fight.. There is a good chance to cause some casualties to units crossing the river

In the attached screenshot poor southwestern front is shown. Helio was confident he had the pocket sealed. However, I had decent movement points this turn enabling me to break out east and cutting of 3 mobile and 2 armoured divisions in the process. He might close the pocket again but it will take him an additional turn giving me time to further reinforce to the east and southeast.

Southern front deploys some units to protect its flank against before mentioned southeastern move...

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (456.65 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 3 - Propaganda

Post by KenchiSulla »

German tanks will not pass here!

Attachments
Germantan..asshere.jpg
Germantan..asshere.jpg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

CarnageINC

RE: Turn 3 - Propaganda

Post by CarnageINC »

Your defense around Dnepr River should probably be a linear line than a checkerboard.  You should force him to fight for a clearing which makes it very difficult to cross the major rivers.  Layer you defensive line with a secondary line or even a third line so if he does get over the river he can't envelope you so easy.  Over all your cutting off his panzer spearheads in the south fairly well, that should buy you some time there.  Just remember as the war progress and you become more comfortable with the Soviet Juggernaut you should be able to pay him back in spades. [;)]
KenchiSulla

Turn 4

Post by KenchiSulla »

Thanks Carnage, yeah you are right. I was worried he would break through but in the end I gave him a fairly easy bridgehead... although I have to admit my defenses there were severely weakened by heavy losses in my forward defense attempt.

Let's start with a casualty list... Timoshenko bites the dust... may he rest in pieces...

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 4

Post by KenchiSulla »

Northern front.. no HQ buildup yet for Helio. His rail is behind for now. I am fairly suprised he is not pushing for Talin with an infantry corps

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (525.35 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 4

Post by KenchiSulla »

Western front is reorganised.. Reserve front arrived, just no units to fill it for now...

Noteworthy is the deployment of a few regiments of IL2s in this sector. See if they want to launch interdiction attacks on his armour.

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (318.83 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Turn 4

Post by KenchiSulla »

South and southwestern fronts are very weak.. I will have to reinforce the area if I want to prevent capture of industry directly east of the Dnepr.

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (456.09 KiB) Viewed 569 times
AKA Cannonfodder

Return to “After Action Reports”