pausing this game ?

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
marjur

pausing this game ?

Post by marjur »

Are there any plans to introduce "a pause option" allowing pausing the game and giving orders.

IMO, the lack of this feature is a design flaw... It's the main reason that stops me from buying the other titles in the series. [:(]
Andrew Williams

RE: pausing this game ?

Post by Andrew Williams »

No, its real time

But, set game seed to slow and you almost have pause
ImageImage
marjur

Post by marjur »

Yes, "almost".

"Almost" makes a difference...

What a pity, it seems I'll have to stick to SPWaW, then.
Andrew Williams

Let the war wait while you think... horror of horrors.

What does your opponent do while you are thinking?
ImageImage
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

hit escape... prompt comes up "Do you really want to quit?" Game is paused ta-dah!
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Andrew Williams

But you can't issue orders.

I did know a girl once that liked to, pause, and think.
ImageImage
marjur

Post by marjur »

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

hit escape... prompt comes up "Do you really want to quit?" Game is paused ta-dah!

Dear Southern_land

I don't want to quit the game. I'd like to pause it and be able to issue orders just like in thousands of other real-time games. I gather you must have misread my post.

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

Let the war wait while you think... horror of horrors.

What does your opponent do while you are thinking?

It's not "horror of horrors". It's an absolutely normal solution in games, and it's called...

ta-dah

*** simulation ***

If what you wrote above were true, then games like SPWaW, TOAW, and hundreds of other titles would be rejected by wargaming fans. Yet, people like them, play them, and consider them very good games in spite of the fact that, as you put it, they "let the war wait while you think"...

I did know a girl once that liked to, pause, and think.

Good for you, Andrew.

...but does it have anything to do with CC:CoI?

Andrew Williams

Good for you, Andrew.

...but does it have anything to do with CC:CoI?

yes, of course... I could always get a battle in while she was thinking.

If you like to stop a nd think then the best option is to hit F3 or play a different game.

If I was you opponent and you hit F3 what do i do... go and wash my hair?
ImageImage
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

ORIGINAL: marjur

Dear Southern_land

I don't want to quit the game. I'd like to pause it and be able to issue orders just like in thousands of other real-time games. I gather you must have misread my post.

Turn based games are not real time. Being able to stop time and plan your next commands is exactly what Close Combat was not meant to be. And to say this was a design flaw, well thats just totally incorrect. Sorry, you are looking for a different game.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
soldier1

Post by soldier1 »

Not being able to pause the battle and plan out orders bothered me too initially but now i've played the game a little bit, i really don't miss that feature. Constant fighting better simulates the pressures of command and you can always set it to slow in those tough situations when every units engaged. but i can understand Marjurs surprise, its a common element in most RTS games.
marjur

Post by marjur »

If you like to stop a nd think then the best option is to hit F3 or play a different game.

If I was you opponent and you hit F3 what do i do... go and wash my hair?

I know I can play (a) different game(s), and in fact that's what I do most of the time.

I know that this feature may be a problem while playing against a human, but you could at least implement it for games against the AI. Besides, if someone didn't want to use it, then they wouldn't. What's the problem?

The AI will always be able to compute things and issue orders a lot faster than a human can do. That's why I think the lack of this feature is simply not fair while playing against the AI (and don't tell me no one plays against the AI; a lot of people do).

marjur

Post by marjur »

ORIGINAL: mooxe

Turn based games are not real time. Being able to stop time and plan your next commands is exactly what Close Combat was not meant to be. And to say this was a design flaw, well thats just totally incorrect. Sorry, you are looking for a different game.

Indeed, turn-based games are not real-time games [:-]...

However, being able to stop time and plan your moves doesn't make the game turn-based. There are quite a number of real-time games out there where you can pause and plan something, and they are still real time.

A turn-based game is one that has this magic "turn end" button which allows moving on to another turn, and usually switches over to your opponent.

Yes, I know I'm probably looking for something different. In fact, I've known that this feature is missing since I first got this game back in the 90s. It's not that I can't or don't play the way it is - I can and I do now and again. However, I do miss this feature and, as I said above, mainly while playing against the AI. I hoped that perhaps something has changed, given that there are new patches out, and this feature might have been implemented... [:(]
Andrew Williams

Just in case you missed it in the posts above - F3 pauses Close Combat
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

I hoped that perhaps something has changed, given that there are new patches out, and this feature might have been implemented...

i hope this "Feature" is never considered for Close Combat
ImageImage
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

Pausing a game to issue orders takes away the "real time" from the game.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
marjur

Post by marjur »

ORIGINAL: mooxe

Pausing a game to issue orders takes away the "real time" from the game.

IMO, it doesn't.
One could as well argue that switching the comp off takes it away [:D]

Anyway, this issue is irrelevant as far as the topic of this thread is concerned.
petersolo

Post by petersolo »

The poor old AI gets beaten up all the time anyway. If you can pause the game you are simply disadvantaging the AI further. The real time aspect is what players like about this game series. Combat is chaotic. The enemy doesn't brew a cuppa whilst you are thinking about what to do with your troops.

Peter
marjur

Post by marjur »

ORIGINAL: petersolo

The poor old AI gets beaten up all the time anyway. If you can pause the game you are simply disadvantaging the AI further. The real time aspect is what players like about this game series. Combat is chaotic. The enemy doesn't brew a cuppa whilst you are thinking about what to do with your troops.

Peter

You know what? You've convinced me.
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

It's not a shooter; but it's not Combat Mission either!

If your mouth isn't dry and your heart rate raised, then there's something wrong!

Welcome to our adrenalin-charged world!

[:D]
marjur

Post by marjur »

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

If your mouth isn't dry and your heart rate raised, then there's something wrong!

But my mouth IS dry and my heart does start thumping, even more than necessary...

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”