Boot Camp

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

junk2drive

Boot Camp

Post by junk2drive »

Here is a thread from the Kharkov forum about the difficulty with passing the Boot Camp battles.

Hope it helps. There are probably others in that forum as well.

tm.asp?m=2315950
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Erik Rutins

RE: Boot Camp

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

After a few players commented that Boot Camp seems unusually hard in Ostfront, so I decided to play through it again myself and prepare a video to help new players. This experience caused me to realize that I made a pretty big mistake.

Boot Camp was always a bit challenging, but here's where I have to take the blame. Somewhere between the last time I tested it and the release, the balance went off on this campaign. The first scenario simply doesn't have enough smoke ammunition for the 81mm mortars to reflect the original intent when it was designed for Khakrov.

So, my sincere apologies to you and everyone else for the frustration I caused in letting this one get by me.

I've already edited the campaign to fix that problem and made a few other improvements and will be uploading an updated version to the Tech Support sub-forum this evening. If you had trouble with Boot Camp, please give it another try with that campaign hotfix and let me know if it works better for you.

Your tactical skills were not at fault, rather my testing and QA skills were! Hopefully, my customer service skills will prove better. :-)

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

Well, at least it kept me from being over confident [:D]. 
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ok, the updated version of Boot Camp is now available here:

tm.asp?m=2813722&mpage=1&key=&#2813722
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

And here I was thinking I was a total nub. [;)]
mbar

Post by mbar »

I was wondering. I couldn't figure out where my mortars were and thought it was going to be tricky trying to use the one smoke grenade each squad had to get to the church. I read the Karkov training thread and now know the mortars aren't available right away.

I'll try the hot fix. 
Firebri

Post by Firebri »

Many thanks for the update Erik, my troops will live longer now. [:D]
mbar

Post by mbar »

Thanks for the MG group but I'm still getting troops suppressed and wounded.

So do I need to learn more in boot camp or is this still your fault, Erik? [:D]
sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

I tried boocamp now. The MG team is very useful for cover. The mortar has now so much smoke that it covers the whole way from the woods till the church. You need to fire several turns smoke from the mortar and let the smoke "develop". Then cross in thick smoke alley :) . Be careful because Russians can use the smoke too...
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi mbar,

It's just a matter of practice now. [8D]

I'm also working on a video that will help with both the tutorial and boot camp as well.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
kingwanabee

Post by kingwanabee »

What hotkey removes the smoke so I can see what I'm doing? I can't find it in the manual.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

There is no hotkey for smoke at present. You don't normally get quite as thick a screen as you can in the revised boot camp. Turning on the floating unit icons should help if you've lost a squad and you can also select them through the HUD icon.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

Just downloaded the Updated BootCamp zip. After I extract the folder, do I just overwrite the current Data folder?
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

The bootcamp is very enjoyable. Ive played som 5-6? missions now. 
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”