heya

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rising-Sun

heya

Post by Rising-Sun »

How things going in here? I played some on my mods and didnt play long enough tho, someday i will finish it or try Star Trek mod. At the meantime i been working on another mod for another game.
Data

RE: heya

Post by Data »

Seems you have a thing for modding, can you (or any other with experience in this) tell me what is the game with the most extensive modding support you've encountered? I want to have an idea as to how much should we ask /expect in DW.
I can think of XCOM as one example, altough mods for that were known as game enhancers [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Data

Seems you have a thing for modding, can you (or any other with experience in this) tell me what is the game with the most extensive modding support you've encountered? I want to have an idea as to how much should we ask /expect in DW.
I can think of XCOM as one example, altough mods for that were known as game enhancers [:)]

I been modding games since late 90's, i put most of my works into HoI Series, since they dont do well by history such as OOB, Models, etcs. I also mod some into WitP:AE and alot of other games (cant remember them all).

Right now i back into Pacific Storm: Allies made by Russia and trying to clean it up alittle and make it more realistic. I like to get into 3D RTS and Simulation. Been trying to get all the correct names for models and bases, it took me over three months last time i did it, now i am trying to improve it some by starting from scratch. But i dont do 3D model graphics, just wallpapers and pictures.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Seems you have a thing for modding, can you (or any other with experience in this) tell me what is the game with the most extensive modding support you've encountered? I want to have an idea as to how much should we ask /expect in DW. I can think of XCOM as one example, altough mods for that were known as game enhancers

I can think of a couple of games that are extremely mod-able (is that a word?)...

Harpoon which is sold by this company... there is lots of things to modify in that game.
Rebellion -- which is very old, but very mod-able.

Those are my picks...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Data

Post by Data »

Rebellion, ooo yes
And just to be sure HoI comes from Hearts of Iron? From this genre I think I only played Panzer General and I'm constantly amazed by how many titles cover that period; some hardcore players for them, I think now I understand better where grognards comes from [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Rebellion, ooo yes
And just to be sure HoI comes from Hearts of Iron? From this genre I think I only played Panzer General and I'm constantly amazed by how many titles cover that period; some hardcore players for them, I think now I understand better where grognards comes from [:)]

Yes HoI is Hearts of Iron by Paradox, put alot of work into HoI II and III, but they keep making samn mistake twice and wont listen to fans or expert. Im into WWII in the Pacific mostly, its where i do alot of research on Japanese History since WWI for over twenty years.

These are mods i made for HoI II and III...
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... highlight=

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... highlight=

Also remember putting some efforts into Star Empire 5, since it was so bugged and some into GalCivII as well.
Data

Post by Data »

that's actually a solid visiting card, the part about GalCiv2 sounds great. I remember being impressed about how many editors it had and the modding section on the forum.
TcSagat

Post by TcSagat »

Hi all. Data the most two mod-able games that I meet were Space Empires V and Warcraft III. I would really like to see Distant Worlds to be modable like SE V.

That's an example of what I mean http://www.arpeegy.com/htdocs/Leisure/B5WMod.htm
Data

Post by Data »

Thx for the feedback, TcSagat, and welcome to the forum. That is indeed a great range of moddable features, we all wait the day when DW will be as available for modding.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I think I fit in that category as well. Someone who will spend more time modding the game than actually playing it. [X(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Data

Post by Data »

Well that puts me in an odd spot...I spend more time testing game mechanics than actually playing it, therefore not a modder or player and more of a detail freak with ocd. [:)]
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

Data, you are on the testing team, right? lol

I agree that mod support makes a huge difference in lifespan for games. Both with new content like the wonderful star trek and star wars mods, or enhanced gameplay or art like in the diverse worlds mod, and my redux mod.

Personally I hope that DW continues to move in the direction that armada 2526 went, with easy to edit word files and art folders that load instead of the main game folders when added to a mod. currently the design is similar, but if you want to edit anything outside of what is listed in the customization guide, you have to mod the actual game folders permanently [:(] Hopefully we will see support for Armada-esque modding soon, as Matrix has mentioned that they are having to break out code for regionalization of the game...
Data

Post by Data »

could not agree more
Setekh

Post by Setekh »

Looks like my Homeworld 2 shipset is still getting a steady stream of downloads too. :)
I love the fact that 2D games like this are extremely easy to mod.
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

Mod-able -- that's a modalicious word. Ought to go in the dictionary.
Data

Post by Data »

It will eventually....the gaming dictionary [:)]

Return to “Design and Modding”