NATO Counters Mod for Random Games

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

NATO Counters Mod for Random Games

Post by Tac2i »

ATG NATO Counter MODs for Random Games [updated on August 28, 2013 to support v2.15i] (minor refresh 2/21/2014 to a couple of the mod downloads - mostly to small unit counters used in zoomed out mode.

NOTE 07/17/14: this mod will not be updated to support v2.20. Please use the NATO mod mentioned in note 1 below.

September 16, 2013: created an updated set of counters (atnatoSMALL.atzip) for 'zoom out' mode. This counter set makes them much more recognizable (screenshot). I'll incorporate them into my NATO mods at a later time.

July 5, 2013: added NATO counters to Lancer's revised Enhanced Mod Suite (V5) for 2.15e (links below). NOTE 8/28/13: I don't believe that Lancer will need to change anything to support v2.15i but if you installed my Lancer's NATO Mod (v2.15e) you should install this AltGfx mod that contain Vic's fixes for the AltGfx files (generic2.at2 and genericnato2.at2) as I included both of them.

============

There are two mods to choose from. One uses a menu system to select the game type at game start and the other adds new NATO buttons to the main screen.

Either mod allows you to choose if you want to create a random game with standard unit counters or with NATO counters. The mod also supports the AltGfx map graphics mode introduced with v2.11 (this mode does not support the weather option). Support for the 'officers' mode introduced with v2.14 has been added as well. Note that after you create your random game and save it, your choice is saved into your save game file and cannot be changed. You would need to create a new game to make a different choice.

NOTE 1: If you play a game created with this mod with another human player, that player must also have the mod installed, otherwise he will get messages about missing graphics. If you wish to use NATO counters in your random games and not require other human players to use them, then use the Solitaire/Multi-Player Mod (updated 08/24/13) for installing NATO counters. NOTE 8/28/13: In the future I am considering only supporting this mod as it is much easier to maintain and serves the purpose quite well. If you have any thoughts on that, please leave comments.

NOTE 2: Whenever Matrix Games publishes a patch for ATG, come back here and check for an updated NATO Mod. If the patch updates the generic.at2/anewdawn.at2 file, then I must update the Mod so that you get those changes when playing with NATO counters. Note also that updates to the generic.at2 or my genericnato.at2/genericnato2.at2/dwnNATO.at2 files will not affect your current save game files. Until you start another random game you will not get the benefit of those updates/fixes present in the updated at2 file.

NOTE 3: Starting with the v2.11 update I've also modified the default mini hex screenshot size to use standard hex size. This will result in screenshots with larger file sizes but the screenshots will be more useful for planning and sharing.

NOTE 4: Starting with the v2.14 update I've modified some of the NATO unit counters to add size designations (XX - division, X - brigade, etc). If you prefer your NATO counters not have size designations, use this No Size mod (updated 08/24/13) to revert them.

MOD 1: New Buttons on Main Screen Mod (ATG v2.15) (screenshot)

This mod adds three new buttons to the main screen to launch either a NATO counters game with standard map graphics, NATO counters game with alternate map graphics or a NATO counters game with officers. This mod does not use the menu system, therefore if you have previously installed the Menu Mod and wish to use this one, you should remove the nato txt files added to the mods folder. Secondly, this mod will replace the "defaultmod.txt" file in the root folder of ATG. Please back that file up in case you later wish to revert to the original and/or use my other mod with the menu system.

WARNING: if you have installed another third party mod that changed the buttons on the main screen, this mod will overwrite those changes. To avoid this, use the menu system mod.

After downloading the mod (atgnatomod215i.atzip), use the "Install File/Zip" button on the ATG main screen to install it. The following files/folders are created:

/defaultmod.txt (replaces the original file - back it up)
/atgoldscenarios/genericnato.at2 (Standard Map w/NATO counters)
/atgoldscenarios/genericnato2.at2 (Alt Graphics Map w/NATO counters)
/atgoldscenarios/dwnNATO.at2 (Officers w/NATO counters) 2.15 only
/atgoldscenarios/Enhanced_Modsuite_v215e.at2 (Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite w/officers - standard units)
/atgoldscenarios/nEnhanced_Modsuite_v215e.at2 (Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite w/officers - NATO units)
/graphics/at2nato/
/graphics/at2natoBIG/
/graphics/at2natoSMALL/

Download:
NATO Counters Mod (3 new buttons) for ATG v2.15i (see Note 4 above) (minor refresh 2/21/2014 - mostly to small unit counters used in zoomed out mode)
Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite/NATO Counters Mod (5 new buttons) for ATG v2.15i (minor refresh 2/21/2014 - mostly to small unit counters used in zoomed out mode) (main screen)
See this post by Lancer for details about the Enhanced Resource Mod. A brief description of the Enhanced AI (Maritime) part is here. Note that there is a PDF manual in the 'Manuals' folder of ATG that explains the resource part of the mod.

Note: If you get strange characters on your screen by left clicking the download link, try right clicking and choose Save Link As (Firefox/Chrome) or Save Target As (Internet Explorer).

MOD 2: Menu System Mod for Making Game Selection (screenshot)

After downloading the mod (atgnatomenu215i.atzip), use the "Install File/Zip" button on the ATG main screen to install it. The following files/folders are created:

/atgoldsenarios/genericnato.at2
/atgoldsenarios/genericnato2.at2
/atgoldscenarios/dwnNATO.at2
/atgoldscenarios/Enhanced_Modsuite_v215e.at2 (Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite w/officers - standard units)
/atgoldscenarios/nEnhanced_Modsuite_v215e.at2 (Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite w/officers - NATO units)
/graphics/at2nato/
/graphics/at2natoBIG/
/graphics/at2natoSMALL/
/plus Lancer's graphics and sound folders
/mods/atnatomod.txt
/mods/atnatomodALTG.txt
/mods/atofficersnato.txt (2.15 only)
/mods/ERMod.txt (Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite)
/mods/ERModNATO.txt (Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite)

Download:
NATO Counters Mod for ATG v2.15i (menu system) (see Note 4 above)
(screenshot)<--make selection and then see this -->(screenshot)
Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite/NATO Counters Mod for ATG v2.15e (menu system) (updated 5 July 2013)
See this post by Lancer for details about the Enhanced Resource Mod. Note that there is a PDF manual in the 'Manuals' folder of ATG that explains the resource part of the mod. A brief description of the Enhanced AI (Maritime) part is here.

Note: If you get strange characters on your screen by left clicking the download link, try right clicking and choose Save Link As (Firefox/Chrome) or Save Target As (Internet Explorer).

When you start ATG you will be presented with four choices:

ATG 2.15 Menu
(0) Advanced Tactics Gold <-- standard ATG
(1) NATO Counters Mod <-- default map graphics with NATO units
(2) NATO Counters Mod (ALT Map Graphics) <-- alt map graphics with NATO units
(3) NATO Counters Mod (Officers) <-- default map graphics with NATO units and officers
and these two additional choices if you install the Lancer NATO mod.
(4) Enhanced Mod Suite
(5) Enhanced Mod Suite NATO

After you make your selection the main screen will display with a button to launch that choice.

----------------------------

Informational Update 05/07/13

With the v2.15 NATO Counters Mod installed there are a total of seven at2 files (and two additional ones with Lancer's Mod) on which to based your random games:

1) generic.at2 - default ATG
2) generic2.at2 - default ATG with ALT Map Graphics (no climate option)
3) classic.at2 - original AT game
4) genericnato.at2 - default ATG with NATO counters
5) genericnato2.at2 - ATG with NATO counters and ALT Map Graphics (no climate option)
6) anewdawn.at2 - default ATG with Officers (v2.14/15 only)
7) dwnNATO.at2 - ATG with Officers and NATO counters (v2.14/15 only)
8) Enhanced_Modsuite_v215e.at2 - Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite with Officers
9) nEnhanced_Modsuite_v215e.at2 - Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite with Officers (NATO Unit Counters)

A reminder: If you installed the v2.15 NATO Counters Mod that adds new buttons to the main screen and earlier had installed the Menu System mod, remember to delete the NATO txt files in the mods folder so that the menu does not display during game load (though it won't hurt anything if you leave them there).
Last edited by Tac2i on Tue May 31, 2022 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Vic

RE: NATO MOD: ATZIP Version

Post by Vic »

works as a charm! excellent mod. now you can play your random games with nato counters when you want. thanks for making this Roy!

this mod also shows how to modify graphics without having players having to replace their actual graphic files.

best regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

deleted - obsolete
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Nice job but a little question, where i need put the atzip file to use the installer version??? thanks.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Nice job but a little question, where i need put the atzip file to use the installer version??? thanks.

Anywhere where you can find it with the browser after you press the unzip button. I put it on the desktop.

Henri
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

re downloading: you can download the file to any location on your hard drive so long as you remember where it is so that when you use the Install File/Zip button you can navigate to it. I believe by default a Windows 7 machine puts it here:  /My Documents/Downloads.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Vic

Post by Vic »

after installing the mod, you have to quit the game and start it up again to get a choice between nato counters and normal counters

best
vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks, works fine, great job Webizen thanks for your hard work [&o]
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Screenshot... note that units that appear greyed out have used all their APs (action points).

Attachments
427201165809PM.jpg
427201165809PM.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Outstanding mod, Webizen. Thank you so much!&nbsp;
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

* deleted - obsolete *
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Currently working on improving the counter "art" for the NATO Counters Mod. It will take some time as it involves over 80 files. I also created a NOnatocounters Mod that would allow someone involved in a PBEM game not to use NATO counters even though the creator of the game specified that when the game was created. I'll publish it when I finish updating the "art" work of the NATO counters. The embedded screenshot shows some of my preliminary work.

Attachments
NATO2.jpg
NATO2.jpg (48.19 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I've completed enough of the counter upgrades that I think some gamers will find them useful, especially for the naval counters which were rather poor in the mod. Work is not complete but I'm making progress. Feedback welcome...

Download: Revised NATO counters (link deleted 5/11/11 - use final version)
Edit: 5/6/11 4:25PM EST US - corrected file to point to graphics folder

NOTE: You must have the NATO Counters Mod installed first before installing the above file. This file simply overwrites the NATO counters with the new ones.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

RE: NATO Counters Mod

Post by Tac2i »

Well, I think I've done about all the work on these NATO counters that I'm going to do. Below is a screenshot of the final counters (BIG format--the normal size counters look very similar to these). In the next day or so I'll package them up and update my links. Note that you see three different mortar counters. Only the first is used at present. The cavalry counter was created for the 2.03 update coming soon.

Attachments
nato_big.jpg
nato_big.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Final version of my NATO counters has been published. See top post for links. The only updates I anticipate at this point are updates to the two at2 files whenever Matrix Games post patches that update the generic.at2 file on which they are based.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

* deleted - obsolete *
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
AlanBernardo

Post by AlanBernardo »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Added new version for latest patch, v2.04. See top post for link. Also tweaked the armor counters in this version.

Got a "file not found" error when trying to download the latest mod for 2.04.

Alan
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Fixed... Thanks for reporting. Should test my links before turning off my machine.
ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo

Got a "file not found" error when trying to download the latest mod for 2.04.

Alan
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

* deleted - obsolete *
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Telcontar

RE: NATO COUNTERS MOD

Post by Telcontar »

I want to change the counters of the North Africa scenario with your counters mod, how can I do it?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”