Awesome Game!

HISTORY Great Battles Medieval is a unique blend of Real-Time Strategy and Role-playing that allows you to develop your army; gaining experience, abilities and equipment to customize your troops. Success can never be guaranteed but to give you the best chance you must engage in careful preparation and be sure to equip your squads to meet every eventuality. In addition, an exciting Battle Card system will give you unique advantages which can turn the tide of battle if used at the right time!
TheBlackhorse

Awesome Game!

Post by TheBlackhorse »

What a pleasant surprise! This game is fantastic!

Thanks Matrix and Slitherine for producing a FUN and engaging Medieval game.

Alan Sharif

RE: Awesome Game!

Post by Alan Sharif »

I enjoy it to but appear to be in the minority hence my silence.
A Sharif
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

I was interested in buying it until I read you can't command archers to hold fire. They have an unlimited supply of arrows or what? 
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes they have unlimited ammo so there is no reason to hold fire. Ammo is rarely if ever modelled in these game.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
TheBlackhorse

Post by TheBlackhorse »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

I was interested in buying it until I read you can't command archers to hold fire. They have an unlimited supply of arrows or what? 

Hmm.It isn't a simulation as much as a FUN game. It also uses battle-cards that th player is able to use at various times during a battle to influence events. The use of those certainly isn't realistic.

No, my comments deal strictly with the FUN meter, which is very much pegged with this little gem. I find myself saying "just one more" quite often.

I'm currently conducting many raids to get my Army into shape for the Battle of Morlaix. I will not go into the battle until I have what I believe to be a sufficient number of experienced units.

All raids give units experience and fill the Commander's coffers with gold; gold that can be spent on more units or upgrades or both.

I'm having an absolute BLAST.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Was playing King Arthur just this morning and I can command archers to hold fire in that game, it's not a realistic battle sim either and even has magic. I believe TW games you can order archers to hold fire too.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I just don't see the issue. There is no gameplay advantage to holding fire so we don't allow it.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Then why did I see a post from someone complaining that he had to move his archers into a corner of a map so that they would not fire? What about when you send in foot soldiers into a group that is being fired upon by your archers, they don't take friendly fire? In the advertising brochures it claims this game is realistic but now you are saying that is not the scope of the game. I was considering buying it because I thought it was supposed to be realistic but if that is the case then I won't.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I have no idea why someone would try to avoid having the archers fire. The game is very realistic but we decided not model ammo for gameplay reasons. If you can't live with that it's your call :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

You don't want archers firing when you send in the foot soldiers because they will take friendly fire from the archers. Let me guess, that isn't modeled either. If you had a demo it would make my decision a lot easier. Hint, hint. :)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

No we dont have friendly fire because we do not allow you to stop firing. The design has to hang together as a whole.

We dont have plans to make a demo right now - sorry!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “HISTORY Great Battles Medieval”