Advance to the Sure -- opening move

Share your best strategy tips with other gamers here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Deathtreader

Advance to the Sure -- opening move

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

Playing as Allies and want the 3 battalions plus attachments of the 104th Regt to move on parallel routes to the town in the upper left of the screen WITHOUT me having to take control of each battalion directly and issuing move orders with appropriate waypoints for each individual battalion route. In other words, how can I issue orders at the Regimental level to get the Reg't commander to assign subordinate formations and/or units to take different routes to it's final destination?? I'd settle for any 2 of the 3 coloured (black,blue,red) routes marked in the image. The numerals point out the battalion starting locations.
I've tried just about every combination of frontages, waypoints, task options, and movement formations that I can think of and they either all take the same route (fastest for example) or advance overland in a straight line (shortest for example) etc.etc.etc.
I'm beginning to think it can't be done without ordering the subordinates directly.

Suggestions??
Thanks.

Rob.

Attachments
BFTBpict.gif
BFTBpict.gif (374.42 KiB) Viewed 53 times
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
johndoesecond

RE: Advance to the Sure -- opening move

Post by johndoesecond »

Hi Deathtreader,

I also played with that a bit, and came to the same your conclusion: cannot be done on regimental level.

Maybe it is not perfect, but it makes sense to me. The standard behaviour is to have the Regimental HQ trace the route, and all the Battalions follow that. If you want them to do something more specific, that's precisely the reason why you are allowed to take direct control over then. If you think a bit about it, it might be the most economic way to issue that order (just think of all the complications you might have at the level of Regimental HQ order settings, to define exactly which routes each subordinate HQ should take)

One last thing: I noticed few times the routes diverge, but only when, say, one battalion encounters an opposition or gets displaced, and then recalculate its own best route.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

The game engine doesn't currently support that. As johndoesecond says you need to issue seperate orders to each group moviong on a seperate route.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Thanks guys.........just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some fundamental capability or something.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards!! [:)]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “The War Room”