Retro gaming in style !

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Hertston

Retro gaming in style !

Post by Hertston »

I want one. I mean I really WANTS ONE!! (stamps foot) Pity the Mrs would probably kill me. [:(]

Classic Commodore 64 lives again

The machine's internal hardware will be based around a dual-core Intel Atom D525, a chip typically found in notebook computers. Its 1.8Ghz chip is far faster than the 8-bit 1MHz MOS 6502 processor used in the 80's original. The C64x will also use an integrated Nvidia graphics chip and buyers have the option of equipping a model with a Blu-ray DVD player.

Lützow

RE: Retro gaming in style !

Post by Lützow »

I want one to write programs in basic and save it on tape cassettes.

My first machine, a Commodore plus 4, still got delivered with a datasette. Discs were considered sumptuary at that time.

Attachments
cplus4.jpg
cplus4.jpg (61.63 KiB) Viewed 49 times
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

You can buy a used C-64 for like 30 bucks and a 1541 drive for another 15 on ebay and that will get you a better nostalgia kick just sitting there on the shelf.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I think it's going to be my next PC when this one will finally die.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Does anyone here know how to configure this?;
http://www.amigaforever.com/
I have the Kickstart-rom and WinAE installed but it doesnt see the rom when prompted. Anyone have experience with it?
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

In the meantime, my computer says I should upgrade my brain to be compatible with it's new software!

-

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

This is a great idea. The C64 was my first PC, and I still have many of the games I used to play on it. I've owned a few C64s, but they had a nasty tendency to burn out their power supplies, so I don't have one that works anymore.
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

I have 3 or 4 C64's in the in the loft, but if want to play the games I just use and emulator. [:D]

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I considered buying a C64 but I wouldn't like to have to deal with the loading times. I heard it's possible to add a HDD or a flash card reader to C64, though.
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
I considered buying a C64 but I wouldn't like to have to deal with the loading times.
That and the lesser availability of wargame titles dissuaded me from the Commie route. A friend had one, and it seemed you could darn near watch a movie while loading a single game. So I ran to the Apple store. ...Ah, the days of decisions like "a tape drive or one of those new, fancy and EXPENSIVE diskette drives?"
I heard it's possible to add a HDD or a flash card reader to C64, though.
Should be do-able for the Commies. I have a flash card based HDD in one of my Apple IIgs's.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: E

I considered buying a C64 but I wouldn't like to have to deal with the loading times.
That and the lesser availability of wargame titles dissuaded me from the Commie route. A friend had one, and it seemed you could darn near watch a movie while loading a single game. So I ran to the Apple store. ...Ah, the days of decisions like "a tape drive or one of those new, fancy and EXPENSIVE diskette drives?"
Damn, I remember not being able to afford a disk drive, which is the main reason why I couldn't play normally most of wargames and simulations as cassettes usually had tens of cut-down games, while diskettes usually had a single full version.
ORIGINAL: E
I heard it's possible to add a HDD or a flash card reader to C64, though.
Should be do-able for the Commies. I have a flash card based HDD in one of my Apple IIgs's.
Actually, some people have already done this for C64. A flash card reader for C64 with additional enchancements costs, 200 Euro, though, while the cheapest version of the new Commodore costs 250$.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

I remember when I wanted an Apple II but couldn't afford it,, and bought a Commodore Pet instead. It had Basic in 32K of memory and free 32K for programs. I finagled a Radio Shack tape cassette to store programs, and eventually bought a dual floppy unit (100K each...). Later I got an Osborne, much impressed by its dual 100K floppy drives and its 4-inch screen.

Henri
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

I'm running a C64 at the moment, along with some other retro machines, and you can indeed at a HDD or flash card to it. You can fit the entire library of every C64 game ever released on a very small card. Losing times almost instaneous for those retro gaming moments.
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

ORIGINAL: henri51

I remember when I wanted an Apple II but couldn't afford it,, and bought a Commodore Pet instead. It had Basic in 32K of memory and free 32K for programs. I finagled a Radio Shack tape cassette to store programs, and eventually bought a dual floppy unit (100K each...). Later I got an Osborne, much impressed by its dual 100K floppy drives and its 4-inch screen.

Henri

I still have an Osbourne in the loft, it has an amber screen flanked by two 5 1/4 floppys 64K RAM. If I remember correctly the OS is CP/M and I have Wordstar V1 to run on it [:D]

It's bloody heavy though[;)]

Cheers

Jev
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I still have this baby in my drawer. It's a 16 bit pc with dimensions of a video tape. Was quite cool in 1989. [:)]

My third machine was from Atari too. An Atari PC 4, 286 AT, 12 Mhz speed, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB hard disk and VGA graphics. This device started my gaming career in 1990. Loom from LucasArts was the very first title I acquired.

My brother lent me his C64 in the late 80's, along with a bunch of cracked games. But the arcade stuff always bored me.
Attachments
portfolio.jpg
portfolio.jpg (75.28 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: mgarnett

I'm running a C64 at the moment, along with some other retro machines, and you can indeed at a HDD or flash card to it. You can fit the entire library of every C64 game ever released on a very small card. Losing times almost instaneous for those retro gaming moments.
Do you know any such a device that doesn't cost hundreds of Euros?
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

ORIGINAL: henri51

Henri

I still have an Osbourne in the loft, it has an amber screen flanked by two 5 1/4 floppys 64K RAM. If I remember correctly the OS is CP/M and I have Wordstar V1 to run on it [:D]

It's bloody heavy though[;)]

Cheers

Jev

You guys beat me for early comps, but I do have 3 Apple IIe's, 5 Apple IIC's and 2 Apple IIgs's... within 3 feet of me. *grin*
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Hi Perturabo,

Sure do, its called a uIEC/SD costs US$50 and is available at http://store.go4retro.com/products/uIEC%7B47%7DSD.html. It allows you to store and access all of your games/applications from an SD card. I've got a 4 gig card in mine at the moment and you can access it exactly the same way that you access a normal disk drive (even easier if you get the JiffyDOS upgrade chip as well).

Most C64 games can be downloaded as D64 disk images which can be accessed directly from the device.

I've organised all of my content into sub directiores for wargames, strategy games, arcade games etc. I also use it store any basic programs that I write as well.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

So, none of you have experience with the Amiga? You dont know what youre missing. [:'(]
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

So, none of you have experience with the Amiga? You dont know what youre missing. [:'(]

Yup I have 2xAmiga 500, 2xAmiga 600 and 1xAmiga 1200 in the loft [:D]

I am a hoarder much to the dismay of my wife. [8|]

Cheers

Jev

Return to “General Discussion”