Using BFTB as op layer for tactical games/miniatures battles?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

chamberlain

Using BFTB as op layer for tactical games/miniatures battles?

Post by chamberlain »

As perfect as BFTB is, the only other thing that would put me in wargaming heaven would be if I could see the actual tanks and troops at the tactical level as they fight the BFTB battles. I'm curious about how/whether one could run a BFTB scenario up to a certain point where an interesting battalion-level battle is about to happen, stop the clock, and then extract the OOBs and strengths so they could be used to resolve the battle (with miniatures, a different game, etc), and then bring results back into BFTB to resume the operational action. Any ideas how that might be possible?
simovitch

RE: Using BFTB as op layer for tactical games/miniatures battles?

Post by simovitch »

Nice idea but currently impossible. This type of functionality would come with the development of a "Campaign" structure which is on the ever-growing wish list.
simovitch

chamberlain

Post by chamberlain »

What about that "estabs" editor? Doesn't that let players manually alter unit strengths and things? Couldn't you start a BFTB scenario, then do a "save as," and start the new scenario with the updated/altered results?
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: chamberlain

What about that "estabs" editor? Doesn't that let players manually alter unit strengths and things? Couldn't you start a BFTB scenario, then do a "save as," and start the new scenario with the updated/altered results?
That won't work either - there is no way to edit the individual forces, except in the scenario editor, and you can't edit a saved game.
simovitch

chamberlain

Post by chamberlain »

Too bad about not being able to edit saved games. But, I see that the Scenario Editor allows you to "clone" existing scenarios and import/export data from the Scen Editor.

So, let's say I set up the St Lo scenario in BFTB. I play BFTB until I see an interesting battalion-level battle about to happen. Then I create a scenario in a different tactical game and play it out to get the results. Now, couldn't I use the BFTB Scenario Editor and "clone" St Lo (making it a new scenario), then manually update it in this cloned scenario, based on the new map situation, strengths, etc? Then the BFTP op level could be run again from that point, and so on. I realize that might be an outrageously long and tedious updating process each time -- but I see there's an import/export function that also uses Excel, so might that not speed things up?

(I realize I could just try it and see, but before I invest a lot of time, I want to make sure to consult the experts here who know way more about BFTB and its capabilities than I do).
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

No, that would be very, very painful. JMO of course, but I would think it would be worth the bother...

Try creating/updating a small scenario, and then collecting the current forces from the AAR during play, and modifying each force strength/supply/posture/morale/cohesion etc etc...

You'd also ruin the Ops game by constantly 'killing' all in progress orders, seeing all forces exact composition each time you update and breaking the flow of play...

There are things you can do to the map to make the BFTB play out better at a tactical level - the most important of these and again only IMO, is to increase concealment for non-firing, non-moving deployed troops and guns in covered terrain.

Now just because you can see 'nothing' in a village or wooded area doesn't guarantee it is clear - and troops can 'disappear' when entering cover. Encourages speculative area fires, probes, and keeping armour out of harms way rather than always leading off with it. There are benefits to morale/recovery too... seeing fewer enemies, more of the time makes troops a bit steadier, and recovery can be a bit better where the threat units have been 'lost'.

During heavy action right on the front line, there is little change as firing and moving concealment is still poor - it just slows things down in the "quiet sectors" and for troops 'out of action'.

Return to “Command Ops Series”