Vista compatability?

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
wga8888

Vista compatability?

Post by wga8888 »

I have a new potential opponent but has issues getting exe to run on Vista. Is this even possible? XP and 98SE historically are the best for DOS
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
bradk

RE: Vista compatability?

Post by bradk »

For some unknown reason, I still have a set of DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.21 install discs (floppy). Maybe I'll need them when I get a Vista computer.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Maybe I'll need them when I get a Vista computer.

And speaking of things no longer supported, many new computers don't even have floppy drives. You might want to think about copying those files onto a CD, or USB flash drive.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

I have XP Professional SP3 on both my home PC and the windows partion on my 2008 Macbook. DOS runs find. Memory issue on the Macbook where I cannot change type of mission on CV/DVL/CVE due to 'out of memory warning' but otherwise playable.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
jomni

Post by jomni »

Use DOSBox and it works on any OS.  That's what I'm doing.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Use DOSBox and it works on any OS.

IMHO, if you have Windows XP or earlier, it's better to run PacWar using "native" DOS. (The game doesn't seem to work quite the same since I was forced to switch to DOSBox: among other things, reaction moves simply do not happen.) However, Vista and Windows 7 do not have native DOS support.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
bradk

Post by bradk »

That's kind of peculiar.
Tony4245

Post by Tony4245 »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

And speaking of things no longer supported, many new computers don't even have floppy drives. You might want to think about copying those files onto a CD, or USB flash drive.

A flash drive worked for me in the past. You can find 3.5" external drives with a USB plug, but good luck finding anything 5.25"!

"BEEBLEBROX. Just be glad he's out there."

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”