What happened to all AAR´s?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Phenix

What happened to all AAR´s?

Post by Phenix »

There was a number of potentially interesting AAR´s but now it seams almost everyone stopped playing, is it because of the blizzard issue that discourage people to go on or what happened?
Its seams very rare with an AAR thats stretches into 42 or even past 4 or 5 turns.

Shame if its such a gamekiller that people stop playing.

pat.casey

RE: What happened to all AAR´s?

Post by pat.casey »

Hard to know for sure (only the players know), but most of them do seem to have stopped during the early days of the blizzard, so my personal theory is that it's Axis players abandoning either because they no longer feel they can win or because the experience of the blizzard is so remarkably unfun as to end the game.

As I said though, only the players know for sure.
Phenix

Post by Phenix »

Yes, true, pity on an otherwise great game.
I hope people start playing again.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

I've got a turn to post in my game against Flavio, but am holding off until I get the next turn back from him. Since I seem to be playing against him and Pieter at the same rate, and that they are frequent contributors to each other's AAR threads, I can only assume that they are comparing notes and strategizing on the common elements. When there is a bit more divergence in our two games, I might resume a more timely posting interval after the turns are completed. Both he and Pieter owe me a turn.

So...if you want some more, tell those guys to send me back my turns so I can play them and get back to posting...[:D]

Trey (el hefe) is out of town for a week, so he's got an excuse for a slight delay, but those other two...well, I think they're just being a couple of chickens...[;)]
Just kidding guys, but I am getting antsy to play.[:)]

IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Scar and I are still going! Just about to get to blizzard.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Man, are you in for either a treat or a nightmare.

I have my game with Kelblau still going but it is so depressing I quit updating it. Turn 32 and the German Army has basically ceased to exist as a fighting force. Not a single unit surrendered but it could not stop a security regiment.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Since I seem to be playing against him and Pieter at the same rate, and that they are frequent contributors to each other's AAR threads, I can only assume that they are comparing notes and strategizing on the common elements.

Not really, we have quite different playstyles. The past 7 days more or less evaporated, which is why my turns are slow, not because I'm scheming with Flavio.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

My games have slowed to a crawl because of business trips by myself and my opponents. I hope to get back in the groove at the end of the week.
kfmiller41

Post by kfmiller41 »

My AAR stopped due to both of us agreeing that Germany was in such a bad way in the spring of 42, I was pushing him back all along the line. We have restarted with the latest patch but I decided to hold off on any AAR till i see how this plays now. If the blizzard is still to one sided it wouldn't be worth the time in my opinion.[:D]
You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP
Since I seem to be playing against him and Pieter at the same rate, and that they are frequent contributors to each other's AAR threads, I can only assume that they are comparing notes and strategizing on the common elements.

Not really, we have quite different playstyles. The past 7 days more or less evaporated, which is why my turns are slow, not because I'm scheming with Flavio.
No worries, Pieter. I know what you mean. It's just that for the first time in about three weeks, I didn't have a turn to play, and it wasn't me who was holding up my games. Then this thread, by the oddest of coincidences, just happened to appear...[:D]
raizer

Post by raizer »

I think the GC luster is wearing off...its really not worth it to devote all those hours in the opening moves only to have this or that side just quit... I guess maybe people are finding out the GC imho is a work in progress and its a chore to initiate and a chore to write AARs

I dont think itll ever be the game for me-and Im used to playing monster pbem games-some lasting 8 months or more

I will continue to play the road to... scenarios-they are fun and the game is worth it to me for that.  Maybe we will see aars for those.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

People do tend to quit quickly when something goes wrong. Even with their forces deep in the Soviet Union, they call their Axis forces "dead" and act as if, in a turn or two, the Soviets will be in Berlin.

I might restart the game with notenome due to the changes that were made in the last month, but I doubt I'll just quit after the blizzard.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
raizer

Post by raizer »

yah you are right and even in the tiller games I play over at the blitz ladder, those huge games usually result in an early resignation if one side gets wiped out at a particular point in the game.  In this game the damage can happen so quickly and so emphatically [:D] that resignations probably take place more often in this game than in others. And the personal morale checks that are failed playing this game, from what I can see, happen early.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

I am in the middle of an AAR of sorts - mostly jokes, but some pictures of my progress and such. As I am slow I have only updated to turn 3 (I just received the Soviet turn 4 this morning though, so I haven't started my turn 5). I plan to slowly add to it, some pictures, more making fun of myself, and I fully intend to lose the war rather than just quitting.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”