Any update on the ETA of new patch?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

vj531

Any update on the ETA of new patch?

Post by vj531 »

eom
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
GBS

RE: Any update on the ETA of new patch?

Post by GBS »

I was thinking the same thing. I just started playing again and planned to come on here and find out if this game is in it's final form with Arjuna rightfully working on Gov. contracts and all. I slowly lost interest because of fatigue factor when playing Germans. They lose so much fatigue in the first 24 hours that troops are shot for the remaining days of the scenario. Also, once fatigued in the 75% range and greater they rarely seem to recover past 50%. To be blunt...not much fun. When I dropped out I didn't follow to see if this was being addressed at all or not. Does anyone here know? Will there be additional updates?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

We're currently trying to migrate the code base over to Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft's new development environment. Some of our drawing code relies on MS ddraw.lib and this is no longer suported under VS 2010. So we are having to rewrite our calling code. Not sure how long this will take. I'll update next week.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

We're currently trying to migrate the code base over to Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft's new development environment. Some of our drawing code relies on MS ddraw.lib and this is no longer suported under VS 2010. So we are having to rewrite our calling code. Not sure how long this will take. I'll update next week.

Half of a year to make new game playable?.. -weltmeister

Gaining fatigure in bftb have to be considered as one serious realistic improovement ..The regeneration - is just one tragical act.

Units laying unconcious in forests for 30 hours + ... no verbal contact

I wouldnt be suprise if indeed Amanita Muscarias were growing in the Arden Forests back then also, but come-on.. This isnt sopose to be a game about mushroom collecting/using. or did I missed something?

I didnt found in manual how to properly cook/prepare them, but I will look again. In this case it would be at least nice compensation for those 80€.
Time Elapsed.
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

I am laying regeneration bug on the Panther desk as next in line.
also with a note, that scuh hardcore could fit more properly to the Eastern Front
( -10C -20C -30C!.. German lack of winter clothing /as for a constant fatigue/regeneration lack/

Peace, bye, and true love[:-]

Oleg out.
Time Elapsed.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: OlegHasky

Gaining fatigure in bftb have to be considered as one serious realistic improovement ..The regeneration - is just one tragical act.

Units laying unconcious in forests for 30 hours + ... no verbal contact
30 hours? you must be doing something wrong. You have to remember to reset "normal" setting rest orders to those units that were previously ordered to move/attack with "none" for resting. Do an 'F1' task check after nightfall to make sure no one is stuck behind the line in some old assault or defend order.

Max ROF and 'fastest' are a big source of fatigue - don't use them unless you really have to. Keep a reserve Bn from each regiment and a reserve regiment from each division. Be careful not to over-use the assault order. And, the majority of your troops not in contact with the enemy should be resting at least 8 hours through the night so that they are ready for new orders by 5 AM.

I think some tweaks can be made to make the game "funner" but I really like the way fatigue is currently modeled in this game. Just so you know, fatigue was particularly onerous in the playtest versions and I had to lobby to get the effects reduced as it is. Dave was in the armed forces and he had some pretty good reasons to set it the way he did. Fatigue is not just physical tiredness. It's your guys getting worn down by the sh**hole nightmare that is combat and death.
simovitch

OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

Sim,

Appreciate this basics class, but as said:
Gaining fatigure in bftb have to be considered as one serious realistic improovement

So I think this was the ´most wanted´ since COTA.
I found gaining faigture as high flyer, when it comes to realistics. mud.. dense woods, with some good slopes - must be exhausting. And Im glad that it is.
It is the regeneration that is a mickey-mouse here.

t
he majority of your troops not in contact with the enemy should be resting at least 8 hours through the night so that they are ready for new orders by 5 AM
True. Just not a new discovery for me. The big part of the gaining faigture greatness is the faigture increese in night advances.
You have to remember to reset "normal" setting rest orders to those units that were previously ordered to move/attack with "none" for resting
You seem to dont trust my management. Ok, just to know that I do not used to just run on "none" rest. Its not lways a maraton
Do an 'F1' task check after nightfall to make sure no one is stuck behind the line in some old assault or defend order.

An F1 sugestion.. Hm Ok, intresting... I didnt noticed F1 before.. ..Or did I? [&o]
But good gues again. I Agree with that simovich.
a reserve Bn from each regiment and a reserve regiment from each division

Try to do that in "Assault on the Sauer" as Wehrmacht for example, and let me know how far did you go..
Dave was in the armed forces and he had some pretty good reasons to set it the way he did

"Dave" is just a one man, and not only one that has expierience in the army. But i understand this is his fairytale, and he is the one drawing.. Thats why my post was directed particulary for him.

You have to know Simovich, - "30+" was stated to make the post more spicey (nevertheless Ive actually have encoutered not one of such examples - taking more then basics needed for a proper rest to occure - so there are also some huge glitches running)

I think, that the regeneration issue is a loud case allready, and I am not the one only bothered by this. In fact i remember Dave "Arujna" admited somewhere, that this is indeed the case to take a closer look up.
My post is a reminder.
Fatigue is not just physical tiredness. It's your guys getting worn down by the sh**hole nightmare that is combat and death.

I think this is exackly whad I had in mind when writing:
scuh hardcore could fit more properly to the Eastern Front
( -10C -20C -30C!.. German lack of winter clothing /as for a constant fatigue/regeneration lack/

So again agree. Faigture also have psychological faces.

I thank you for your post. I know the hand was made to be helpfull. Appreciate..

OlegH
Time Elapsed.
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

Sim,

Gaining fatigure in bftb have to be considered as one serious realistic improovement

I found gaining faigture as high flyer, when it comes to realistics. mud.. dense woods, with some good slopes - must be exhausting. And Im glad that it is.

t
he majority of your troops not in contact with the enemy should be resting at least 8 hours through the night so that they are ready for new orders by 5 AM
True. Just not a new discovery for me. The big part of the gaining faigture greatness is the faigture increese in night advances.
You have to remember to reset "normal" setting rest orders to those units that were previously ordered to move/attack with "none" for resting
You seem to dont trust my management. Ok, just to know that I do not used to just run on "none" rest. Its not lways a maraton
Do an 'F1' task check after nightfall to make sure no one is stuck behind the line in some old assault or defend order.

An F1 sugestion.. Hm Ok, intresting... I didnt noticed F1 before.. ..Or did I? [&o]
Keep a reserve Bn from each regiment and a reserve regiment from each division

Whenever possible [:)]. Try to do that as Wehrmacht in "Assault on the Sauer" fo example, and let me know how far did you go..
Dave was in the armed forces and he had some pretty good reasons to set it the way he did
"Dave" is just a one man, and not only one that has expierience in the army. But i understand this is his fairytale, and he is the one drawing.. Thats why my post was directed particulary for him.

You have to know Simovich, - "30+" was stated to make the post more spicey (nevertheless Ive actually have encoutered not one of such examples - taking more then basics needed for a proper rest to occure - so there are also some huge glitches running)

I think, that the regeneration issue is a loud case allready, and I am not the one only bothered by this. In fact i remember Dave "Arujna" admited somewhere, that this is indeed the case to take a closer look up.
My post is a reminder.
Fatigue is not just physical tiredness. It's your guys getting worn down by the sh**hole nightmare that is combat and death.

I thank you for your post. I know the hand was made to be helpfull. Appreciate..

OlegH
Time Elapsed.
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

Sim,

t

Keep a reserve Bn from each regiment and a reserve regiment from each division

Whenever possible [:)]. Try to do that as Wehrmacht in "Assault on the Sauer" fo example, and let me know how far did you go..

My post is a reminder.

And sorry, I didnt resisted to answer some of them, despite that Ive felt, that their are not addressed for me.

Edit:
Somehow = 2 posts (request for administration to correct)

OlegH
Time Elapsed.
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

Hmm.. looks like echo..

My Apos..
Time Elapsed.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Haven't a clue what this regeneration thing is....
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

no dubtz you dontz
Time Elapsed.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

I believe he means recovering from the effects of fatigue.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
wodin

Post by wodin »

no dubtz you dontz

an explanation would have sufficed......
vj531

Post by vj531 »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Any updates Dave?
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Sorry for the delay...I'm travelling at the moment. Currently Paul and I are rejigging stuff to get the game to compile under MS VS2010. This is taking longer than we would have liked.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Marshal Villars

Post by Marshal Villars »

-Still feel there needs to be an "run to save your life" exception to fatigue in a short term scenarios like these (preventing an infantry unit from getting pinned down in an open field 150 yards shy of cover because they are "fatigued" by incoming artillery). Though this issue (even if it is not fixed) shouldn't prevent anyone from buying the best tactical/operational simulation ever offered to the gaming public.
vj531

Post by vj531 »

ORIGINAL: Marshal Villars

-Still feel there needs to be an "run to save your life" exception to fatigue in a short term scenarios like these (preventing an infantry unit from getting pinned down in an open field 150 yards shy of cover because they are "fatigued" by incoming artillery). Though this issue (even if it is not fixed) shouldn't prevent anyone from buying the best tactical/operational simulation ever offered to the gaming public.

Could not agree more. This makes the wait for the patch and further projects even more frustrating.
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
bink

Post by bink »

Arjuna,

What are the plans for this this game over the next 6 months?

I understand there is a patch coming, but the rewrites you are doing seem major - what impact will this have on the game?

I have also previously seen that there will be additional scenarios - is this still the case? Will these be in addition to those from the Highway to The Reich game?

Which, if any of these scenarios/patches will there be a charge for?

I ask because I am considering purchasing the game, but would rather wait if there is a "Deluxe" version released this year.

Thank you
Wiggum

Post by Wiggum »

I too would like to know if there will be something like a "Delux" version of BFTB in the future.

Return to “Command Ops Series”