disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes?

Post by obvert »

So, for some groups that are reserved and used for training in the states, the withdraw option is not available. Yet they are scheduled to withdraw.

The disband option is usable, and when I use it it states the planes and pilots will be lost. Is this true? Did I train these pilots up for nothing?

I have been getting the good ones out early, but it seems silly to lose the planes as well. I don't have more crappy Bolos and P-26s to trade out the still useful P-40s and Hudsons.

I could wait to see if these pilots turn up somewhere, but I'm feeling a bit over-clicked lately, and just thinking this must be known and understood by many here already.

Thanks.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
javnavy

RE: disband issue - do I lose the pilots and planes?

Post by javnavy »

Sorry I don't have that answer, but thanks for bringing it up. I thought it was just my bad luck (I'm cursed with computer gremlins). Why give me a restricted squadron with only 4-6 months on the board and not give me the 'withdraw' button? To hit disband and be warned you are losing pilots/planes for a unit I couldn't deploy-or get much training value from, didn't make much sense.

I'm looking forward to hearing on this (could this me a bug?)
Thanks
ADB123

Post by ADB123 »

This is a deliberate part of the Design. The air squadrons that can only be disbanded represent ones that were sent to other fronts and were no longer available to the Pacific War after a certain date.

You can always save the trained pilots by replacing them with green rookies.

Yes, it does take some planning and careful plane management to keep many of the more useful planes from the Restricted units, but with PDU "On" you do have some ability to do so.

obvert

Post by obvert »

Thanks. Another place where a bit more instruction in the manual would help out. It would also be useful to have a replace all pilots button, so you don't sit there clicking for ten minutes getting 32 pilots out of each squadron.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Tullius

Post by Tullius »

Interesting is also that some formations are withdrawn by the game but used in the USA only as training squadrons and came later back. The 19th BG followed this part. At the start of the war it was in PHI, later transfered to Australia at the end of 1942 and then withdrawn in USA and served as training unit. At the end of the war the BG was back with B-29s. I would prefer when such units are not withdrawn in the game.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

It is not bug. Units that have withdrawal date and have to be disbanded (no withdrawal button) historically went to other theaters with their planes and pilots.

You can replace their experienced pilots with rookies, sometimes you will even be able to "downgrade" their planes.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

obvert

Post by obvert »

Well, 341 clicks and 27 minutes later I think all I'm losing is 93 rookies and mostly outdated planes, (along with 5 P-38E that had no available upgrade change).

And I've learned to be very careful with training squadrons. It is a haul getting them all sorted, but there is a strange masochistic enjoyment to getting the right guys into the rights planes at the right time.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Either that or the beginning of an ocd. [;)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

More like the middle of the OCD.
LonnyE

Post by LonnyE »

Ah, thanks about ready to ask the same question.

[:D]
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

As mentioned in this area in the past if you press the "Y" key as the pilot is hi-lited you can save on mouse clicks. Still tedious at times but more economical way of moving pilots.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “The War Room”