Nook Color vs Kindle DX

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sabre1

Nook Color vs Kindle DX

Post by sabre1 »

Ok,

So now which one is better?

The only downside I see to the Nook Color direct sunlight makes it difficult to read. Other than that it seems to be the clear winner in the ebook wars. Oh yeah, it does have a smaller screen size 7" IIRC.

So give me some opinions please.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
jomni

RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX

Post by jomni »

I guess you can ask yourself if you really want to read outdoors.
Also if you want ebooks, which store offers the best library and price?
I do not have experience with both products so I can't tell you which one I prefer.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Your 'downside' seems to me a total deal-breaker, although I suppose that depends on where you do your reading. Give me e-paper over a backlit screen any day in a dedicated reader. Something you might want to consider is battery life as well.. I'm guessing it's considerably shorter in the colour Nook?
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

My wife has the nook color and she can read it outside fine...but not sure if she has tried direct sunlight like at a beach or such...I doubt it would do well. She mostly reads at night and in darker areas like while I watch TV with little light or in bed and for that it is the only book reader to have. She loves the Nook Color.

I have no opinion as I currently dislike all ebooks...and retain a lewdite like love of paper books.

Edited: I corrected the word luddite above to appease my 3rd grade english teacher Mr. Brough. Shukran :)
Kind Regards,

Harry
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

ORIGINAL: gabeeg
I have no opinion as I currently dislike all ebooks...and retain a ludite like love of paper books.

Perhaps, if you were a bit less of a luddite, you might use a spell-checker. [:D]
Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks guys!

You are an eclectic fun bunch of grognards, luddites excluded.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

E-ink reader has way better battery life (months) and is easier for eyes. Choose kindle if youre reading mostly books/novels. Its superb in that role.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
kentcol

Post by kentcol »

Agree. I love my Kindle! Also, you can send them your game manuals and they convert them to Kindle format for free.
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

I bought my wife the Nook Color as did another poster above. I also bought the $14 anti-glare screen for it. It works well in sunlight and extremely well at night. She likes to read when we go on trips and having the dome light on in the car while I am driving bugs me. With the nook color, the back light was enough for her to read without the light being distracting. Regarding battery life, if you remember to turn the wifi off when you are not downloading, the battery life is fine. She used the device for eight solid hours during our recent trip and the battery was at about 20% when we arrived. That is pretty good for me.

I also transferred my WitE manual pdfs over to the nook color. Nice to be able to read the color manual in bed.

I think both machines are good and each person should make their own choice. My wife is happy with her choice and she had looked at all of them in detail.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: rober
why not get ipod or ipad?

Don't complicate the matter. Hehe. These are wonderful gadgets that do more than reading but the price is also more.
Disclaimer: I am an iPad user.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Ok, So now which one is better?

Here goes:

1. The DX has a 9.7" screen so is more real screen estate important to you?

2. How long will Barnes and Noble be around? I sadly heard they were in financial trouble. Is this now old news?

3. Which company's e-store currently has greater access to the type of books that you like?

4. Most books are B&W, therefore is color really important to you?

5. Do both products run efficient download services to your area?

seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
ORIGINAL: sabre1

Ok, So now which one is better?

Here goes:

1. The DX has a 9.7" screen so is more real screen estate important to you?

2. How long will Barnes and Noble be around? I sadly heard they were in financial trouble. Is this now old news?

3. Which company's e-store currently has greater access to the type of books that you like?

4. Most books are B&W, therefore is color really important to you?

5. Do both products run efficient download services to your area?

1. Matter of user preference for certain

2. Even if they go bankrupt, their reader is open source. My wife regularly buys e-books from Barnes & Noble, Borders, and sometimes direct from the publishers themselves depending who has the best deal on a particular book. She didn't want the Kindle version because it looked like their book format was proprietary and she wanted to be able to choose who she bought a book from.

3. Amazon has a large library, but kindle is proprietary. Most of the other readers (Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) are open source and can read pretty much every format e-book except for Amazon's format. VHS vs. Betamax.

4. If color is not important to you, definitely get the black and white reader as they are cheaper. However, you can use the web to browse the internet, check webmail, read magazines, e-zines, color pdfs, and yes, color books. Face it, the world is in color and most future readers will also be color readers. Think back to the early PCs. Your choices were green screen, black/white, or orangish screen. All monotone. The only time we still see these might be at work where we have old machines in the warehouse or factory. Everything is in color these days.

5. Pretty much all readers are wi-fi enabled so as long as you can access a wireless network, you are in business. Some of the top end black and white readers are also 3G equipped. Essentially the 3G allows you to download at modem speed anywhere that you can get good cell phone access. However, the 3G link usually works only back to that company's website and nowhere else.

I will add that it is worth it to pick up the protection plan if you buy a reader. The one for the nook includes damage from drops, spills, etc.
kingwanabee

Post by kingwanabee »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

3. Amazon has a large library, but kindle is proprietary. Most of the other readers (Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) are open source and can read pretty much every format e-book except for Amazon's format. VHS vs. Betamax.

Is this true? Kindle will only let you read stuff purchased from Amazon? [&:]
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

You can read PDFs on Kindle. As long as it is in PDF format, I think you are good to go.

As for the person who said you can get Kindle to convert your manuals. If the manual is a pdf, you don't even need them to convert them. Best to have the bigger Kindle, though, if you are going to read game manuals on the Kindle.
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

I bought the Nook e-ink for my wife as a Christmas gift.

The color back light can and does cause eye fatigue. Something that my wife suffers from when she uses her computer. Also there is decreased battery life comparing e-ink to back lit products.

There is no right or wrong answer which to purchase, its a matter of needs and personal taste.
Mark
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Just to jump in here guys my wife and I both have iPads and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I can read my books, comics etc no issues at all. I would say stick with the Wifi only version. I never use anything else.

David
aaronwww

Post by aaronwww »

Hey Guys

I was considering an iPad but it was a bit out of my price range. I was looking for something around $250 and the Nook Color did not disappoint. It uses the same IPS display as the iPad though 7 inches. I am pretty happy with it especially after rooting....

Made a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_eR8XaDnI

My review
http://www.ronviews.com/what-is-the-bes ... ook-color/
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: aaronwww

Hey Guys

I was considering an iPad but it was a bit out of my price range. I was looking for something around $250 and the Nook Color did not disappoint. It uses the same IPS display as the iPad though 7 inches. I am pretty happy with it especially after rooting....

Made a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_eR8XaDnI

My review
http://www.ronviews.com/what-is-the-bes ... ook-color/

Interesting - how does it render graphic-heavy pdf files like, for instance, wargame manuals ? Matrix manuals and wargame PDF magazines like Battlegames look great on an iPad and are very readable, but I fear that a 7 inch screen will be too small

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

The WITE manual - I put it on my Kindle without needing to format it to Kindle (although that might have made it better).  I have the older smaller Kindle and I had a hard time trying to read it on that small of a screen.  If you have one of those magnifying glasses, it would work a lot better.

I like my Kindle, but maps and stuff have been very hard for me to look at.  I have D-Day by Anthony Beevor and the maps are almost unreadable for me which disappoints me because I love looking at maps that show where the action was and where they were headed.

If you get a Kindle, get the bigger one.
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

Return to “General Discussion”